Hypothyroid/hashimotos suffers

Options
I have hypothyroidism (which is most likely hashimotos...waiting on healthcare to kick in to see for sure) but I am trying to lose weight! Would like some friends who suffer from this also and see if you know of good dieting techniques or advice for people like me suffering with it! It's sooo hard to lose weight with it :(

Replies

• rolom3
    rolom3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Me too but taking tablets and I think the reason I'm fat is actually nothing to do with it, I'm in my last year of school with important exams in June and comfort eating like crazy! Of course the slow metabolism from underactive thyroid is no help
  • chopsticks05
    Options
    I just found out this week that I am hypothyroid and Hashimoto's. I was told to begin a gluten-free diet. I don't know but I'm hoping this will help with the weight loss. I'm starting my thyroid medicine tomorrow morning. I hope this helps, too.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Once your thyroid levels are normalized with supplemental hormones, you can lose weight like anyone else. The supplemental hormones should make you "relatively normal." Which is to say that weight loss is hard for most normal people too.

I lose weight with lots of low level cardio and weight lifting several times a week. I don't do the low-carb thing, because I feel worse that way. Since I lose weight just fine with the carbs, there is no reason for me to avoid them.

The one thing I will give you a heads up on is that it does take me a while longer than other people to see changes in my weight. I'll start a work-out regimen and generally give it a MONTH before I start looking for changes.

Also, keep an eye on your TSH levels if you're losing a significant amount of weight. You may need less hormone or risk going to hyperthyroid - which is just as lousy as being hypo. (I get horrid joint pain.) Find a good doctor and maintain a good relationship with him/her.

And don't give up. Fine tuning what works for you can take years, but once you have a method to sort your madness, it's like clockwork.
  • alisonjames15
    alisonjames15 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am also hypothyroid and looking into gluten free. I have about 50-60 lbs to lose and struggling. Can I add anyone for support and motivation/ideas? Xz
  • lipss2die4
    lipss2die4 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Is gluten free diet a suggestion when thyroid issues are involved? I also have thyroid issues , I am on meds but every bit of info helps!
  • Brynne1234
    Brynne1234 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've been hypothyroid for about 10 years now. Weight loss has been really slow but is possible. Anyone can feel free to add me:)