Runners...I have a question

Options
13»

Replies

• JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    t6205db wrote: »
    Congratulations on the running! No worries, all runners can attest that there are good days and bad. If you find you're super tired and can't go the distance like you could before, it could be a number of things. For me, I get tired when my iron is low. Ensure you're taking an adequate multi-vitamin daily to keep your iron stores up. What are you eating before the run? When I run in the mornings I'll have a slow release carb such as oatmeal & a banana 2 hours prior. My runs after work are always tougher, I'll eat a granola bar & banana 2 hours before. Anything inside of 2 hours gives me cramps so I try to avoid that. Sometimes it's just hard to run, period. Having a running buddy or joining a running group is a great way to get through your run without counting the minutes. Don't stress if you have to walk... lots of people do it. 3mi = 3mi, no matter how you get there! :)

Once I month I struggle through a couple of runs and then start my period and every time I'm like, ooohhhhh right.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    kjarvo wrote: »
    You finished the plan to do a 5k ONCE, not 3 times a week. You will be too tired to do that 3 times a week at the moment and you haven't quit a run. Treat it as any other plan and your 5k is your long run, once a week. Your other runs should be shorter than this. You might run 3k easy, 2km quick and 5km as your long run. Then as you get better, increase your 5km in speed or distance.
    I thought the same once I could run 5km. I expected to be able to always run 5km on every run and not get tired. Even now after a long run (I've recently been training a half marathon) I sometimes can't run 2km the next time.
    These plans aren't get to that point of fitness and then always be at that level everyday. They are supposed to have ups and downs post completion. Don't be disheartened.

Also if you have a 5k race, you want to taper down so you aren't too tired for the actual race. Good luck!

Thank you...for this info. I am a newbie yall can see. I feel really stupid about some of the things that apparently most everyone else knows. I will try to stagger my runs in distance and pace. Hopefully that will help some.
  • str8bowbabe
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    teacton11 wrote: »
    It's all in your head. For reals.

Yes, probably - it usually is. Mess with your head. Walk for 30 seconds before you're tired. Then, when you're really tired, make yourself go further than your brain is telling you (if you have a regular brain and a running brain, like me). If your brain tells you to stop at that tree, tell it to shut up and go for another three trees. You are in charge. LOL ... and I am a nutcase.

I do the same thing with the trees...I'll also convince msyelf there is only like 30 seconds left to the song I'm listening too so surely I can run until it's over. Then if something really good comes on after I'm like, I got this!

I do use the songs...I know about how many songs I have left to run...kinda dumb maybe but it works for me. In my head...probably...I need to get another set of earphones to run with...it helps me tune out everything else.

And for those saying I am going to fast...this is the same pace I have ran my other runs. Nothing faster, no incline etc...just simply could not do it. It wasn't shin splints. Had those as a runner in high school. I appreciate all the help and suggestions. I am taking notes of everything...good and bad. I am not giving up by any means.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through this to see (sry) but something that makes my legs tired is when my shoes need changing - it doesn't take long before they get broken down and I start over-pronating. Then my lower legs start to feel like tree trunks during my runs and I'm much more tired than I should be ...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Yes, probably - it usually is. Mess with your head. Walk for 30 seconds before you're tired. Then, when you're really tired, make yourself go further than your brain is telling you (if you have a regular brain and a running brain, like me). If your brain tells you to stop at that tree, tell it to shut up and go for another three trees. You are in charge. LOL ... and I am a nutcase.

I do the same thing with the trees...I'll also convince msyelf there is only like 30 seconds left to the song I'm listening too so surely I can run until it's over. Then if something really good comes on after I'm like, I got this!

I do use the songs...I know about how many songs I have left to run...kinda dumb maybe but it works for me. In my head...probably...I need to get another set of earphones to run with...it helps me tune out everything else.

And for those saying I am going to fast...this is the same pace I have ran my other runs. Nothing faster, no incline etc...just simply could not do it. It wasn't shin splints. Had those as a runner in high school. I appreciate all the help and suggestions. I am taking notes of everything...good and bad. I am not giving up by any means.

Then it's defo in your head :)
  • str8bowbabe
    Options
    Yeah that is kind of what I have decided but I thank everyone for all the input and helpful info. Going tonight to get new earphones and next try is Saturday. Thanks everyone.
  • JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You finished the plan to do a 5k ONCE, not 3 times a week. You will be too tired to do that 3 times a week at the moment and you haven't quit a run. Treat it as any other plan and your 5k is your long run, once a week. Your other runs should be shorter than this. You might run 3k easy, 2km quick and 5km as your long run. Then as you get better, increase your 5km in speed or distance.
    I thought the same once I could run 5km. I expected to be able to always run 5km on every run and not get tired. Even now after a long run (I've recently been training a half marathon) I sometimes can't run 2km the next time.
    These plans aren't get to that point of fitness and then always be at that level everyday. They are supposed to have ups and downs post completion. Don't be disheartened.

Also if you have a 5k race, you want to taper down so you aren't too tired for the actual race. Good luck!

Thank you...for this info. I am a newbie yall can see. I feel really stupid about some of the things that apparently most everyone else knows. I will try to stagger my runs in distance and pace. Hopefully that will help some.

I've been running for 5 1/2 years and I still feel like a newbie! A lot of it is just learning your body and that only comes with time and more runs. The good thing is, other runners love to talk about running. ;) I'm one of the commenters who suggested you slow down and I still think it's good advice. Some runs will be better than others. Some days you will be more fatigued than others. Sometimes it is in your head and you can self talk through it, but sometimes it is your body signaling you. And on a day when you are just not feeling it, one of the things you can do is slow down your pace. Anyway, best of luck. It's a journey that will be full of ups and downs but it's so worth it.
  • LJgfg
    LJgfg Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through this to see (sry) but something that makes my legs tired is when my shoes need changing - it doesn't take long before they get broken down and I start over-pronating. Then my lower legs start to feel like tree trunks during my runs and I'm much more tired than I should be ...

Would like to second this :) Easy to get caught up in the training and forget to check the shoes for wear and tear. For me, leg pain while doing the same work often is a signal new shoes are in order.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 236 Member
    Options

I don't really know much, but it is just what I have learnt myself. The most important thing is to not push too hard. If you feel really tired one workout then don't push too hard, or if you have no energy and just can't run even if your muscles aren't tired then take a break. But consistency in the amount of runs too.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

Thank you for making me feel a little more normal. xo

I'm a beginner but I do the same thing. It's always "one more lap around the lake" and then I find something else to keep me going after the lap. Which is also why I hate running on the treadmill. I become fixated on the time I'm running and I can't find a way around that (even blocking the time hasn't worked for me)
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Forty6and2 wrote: »

I'm a beginner but I do the same thing. It's always "one more lap around the lake" and then I find something else to keep me going after the lap. Which is also why I hate running on the treadmill. I become fixated on the time I'm running and I can't find a way around that (even blocking the time hasn't worked for me)

I'm very goal-oriented. I make short-term goals on the TM all the time. You can use the music, too. Run tempo runs, intervals, use the incline - mix it up and make it interesting. Push yourself. :)
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Forty6and2 wrote: »

I'm very goal-oriented. I make short-term goals on the TM all the time. You can use the music, too. Run tempo runs, intervals, use the incline - mix it up and make it interesting. Push yourself. :)

Oh I always use music too! I still remember the first song that I ran to the end of and the first song that was playing when I ran a mile straight through (it was a 17 minute song so it was the same song for the whole mile and then a little walking)