Hardgainers

Options
I'm barely qualified to speak on this subject so let me just say that based on my very few days at attempting a moderate bulk, I think I know what's happening with hardgainers.

And this is backed up by the stickied thread in this section so I'm hardly covering new ground either.

It's so much food to eat!

If I had been thin my whole life and had not had issues with binge eating, I can imagine struggling to actually eat 3000 calories, give or take. Not, "man that's so much food that's gotta be at least 3,000 calories today." I mean like, actually weigh it out and measure it and track it. And I'm not even shooting for 3000! Damn.

It's just so much food. People describe it as eating to the point of discomfort. That's not super fun. And it's counter-intuitive. I'm planning my day out in MFP and then thinking, "Well damn, where am I going to grab 400 extra calories on top of what's already way too much food. Throwing crappy Nutri-Grain bars on top of a big breakfast just to hit my carbs.

I wasn't really sure what to expect but it's interesting to say the very least.

TL;DR It may have felt like 3,000 calories, but it probably wasn't. It's just. So. Much. Food.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem. I can put away food like it is nothing.

Glad you read the sticky and see the real issue. Try adding as much calorie dense food in as you can to make it seem like less.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm working my way up. If it comes down to it I'll throw in some peanut butter and honey sandwiches or something. Something on nice spongy white bread that will leave me hungry 30 minutes later.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    There are calorie dense foods out there that do not fill you up. A massive weight gain milkshake will bloat/fill you like a meal. I personally don't have this problem, but I know what your talking about. Things such as Nuts, Peanut butter etc will send your calories really high but they will not really fill you up like a meal. Sorry for my rushed response.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Try adding in more nuts, peanut butter, ice cream, and dried fruit/nut mixes. Works like a charm.
  • tywright94
    Options
    2 tsp of olive oil is 80 calories super easy to throw in a shake