Healthy Cake Sale

Becky_charles29
Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
Hi all

In a few weeks, I'll be doing 2 hours of Insanity for charity and as part of my fundraising I want to bake 3/4 cakes/treats that are healthy or contain healthy ingredients. So...any ideas? I've only baked cakes that make me gain weight just by cooking them

Thanks all

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Hi all

In a few weeks, I'll be doing 2 hours of Insanity for charity and as part of my fundraising I want to bake 3/4 cakes/treats that are healthy or contain healthy ingredients. So...any ideas? I've only baked cakes that make me gain weight just by cooking them

Thanks all

Thats really the only kind of cake there is. There are other types with gluten free yadda yadda but they all make us gain weight. thats just portion control. eggs...good...milk...good..sugar ...good. cake is good. lol.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Let's see...general baking says you can reduce fat by using applesauce instead. You can lower the sugar (1/3 less...I think) before affecting the texture too much. You can use egg beaters (or just egg whites) most of the time.

Angel Food cake is fat free, uses a ton of egg whites, so it has good protein. But it's also high in sugar. Scratch angel food has such a nice texture (compared to the box)....I'm not sure I would want to take the risk of less sugar.....they are pretty delicate.

Instead of a cake, how about something fruit based? Meringue cups filled with fruit.

You can always sub some whole wheat flour in your cake.....carrot cake (or zucchini) at least has veggies. But if you try to make it too healthy....you'll not sell nearly as much.
  • I'm a fan of chocolate covered Katies blog but if the point of a bake sale is to raise money you have no chance if you tell people they're made of beans! Flapjacks are the best profit makers at a bake sale and they're pretty healthy. Chiffon cake is light but doesn't slice pretty. Filo tarts filled with something light would be healthy but harder to eat.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    I make mine with oats protein powder and egg white. No sugar. I have made with
    Apple (sauce) and strawberry (protein)
    Blueberry and vanilla (protein)
    Orange and Cinnamon and chocolate (protein)
    Coffee walnut and chocolate
    Carrot coriander hint of curry natural protein.
    Seeds and sultanas any flavour protein
    Chocolate and peanut butter (pb2 for low fat version)
    Bake for about 15 minutes in muffin trays. They have about 100-200 calories each but full of protein and goodness and no added sugar.
    The ones with blueberries or sultanas are the juiciest, not too many sultanas though, high calorie. But the carrot ones are the healthiest. I used heaps of carrot and will try carrot orange and cinnamon next time.

Saw a post above this for 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies I might also try.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Brownies made with black beans. They're not bad.
  • Becky_charles29
    Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
    Thanks all.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited April 2015
    There is a Weight Watchers recipe called 'haystacks' that are actually not too nutritionally horrible and are really good, kind of like a no bake cookie. It's just Fiber One cereal and melted chocolate bars (or chocolate chips). Peanut butter really isn't necessary and cuts down on the calories. Based on the size of the stacks they range between 40-90 calories per haystack.

I experimented last year with pumpkin bars and they turned out really well: one box angel food cake mix and one small can (15 oz.) of pure pumpkin puree. Add pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well. Spread into a sheet pan and bake until done. Cool completely and lightly dust with powdered sugar if desired.