fruit smoothies

Options
Okay so basically my sister always makes me these really healthy drinks with vegetables and herbs and all this other stuff.. and it tastes so gross. Usually when I make a
Smoothie I just throw whatever fruit I have into a blender with a little bit of juice or something, but I was wondering if you had any other suggestions to improve it, eg better fruits to add in or oats or something I dunno. Help me please haha

Replies

• ken9279
    ken9279 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here is one of my favorite smoothies. A hand full of spinach, 1 large orange, a slice of pineapple, slice of lime or lemon, a cup of ice and a little agave. Sometimes I add a little protein powder. Blend it all up and your good to go. If your using the vita mix, no need to peel the lime but peel everything else. Hope this helps.

• Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    To make a smoothie extra sweet without adding juice or sweetener, I like to blend dried dates with a bit of water first until frothy and then add the rest of the fruit or vegetables and liquid. For a hearty type of smoothie, you can grind 1-2 tbsp of dried oatmeal, seeds, nuts or cereal before adding your fruits/liquid. I like adding coconut cream/coconut milk too with bananas, papaya and frozen strawberries or mangoes whenever I want a tropical taste! For thick cold frozen yogurt type of smoothies, allow fresh bananas to ripen until spotted, peel, slice and freeze them, then blend them along with frozen berries and a bit of your choice liquid! For a dessert, blend avocado, dried dates, frozen banana, chia seeds and chocolate powder. Yumm b:

I'm not much of a green smoothie type of person either. I only make fruit smoothies and eat my greens separately!
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I rotate all of my smoothie recipes each week. So my recipe this week is a frozen banana, some frozen mixed fruit (strawberries, mango, peach, pineapple), a handful of spinach and a tbsp of chia seeds. Then just enough water so that it blends, usually ends up being around 2 cups.
  • i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Hi! I eat a smoothie every day for breakfast! My basic go to smoothie is: 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup frozen berries, 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 2 tbsp protein powder (I use Sports Now Pea Protein Natural), 1 tbsp Flax (I use Linwood brand) blend it up! Yum! About 265 cal.

Friend me if you like...I post a weekly smoothie recipe!
  • sistem
    sistem Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies every day! Two of my faves:
    Frozen strawberries, frozen banana, whole milk, whole milk plain yogurt, a drizzle of honey, a probiotic capsule, some frozen spinach
    OR
    half an avocado, a couple tablespoons pure unsweetened cocoa powder, whole milk, honey and whole milk plain yogurt and sometimes pb=an awesome healthy chocolate milkshake!!
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    sistem wrote: »
    I make smoothies every day! Two of my faves:
    Frozen strawberries, frozen banana, whole milk, whole milk plain yogurt, a drizzle of honey, a probiotic capsule, some frozen spinach
    OR
    half an avocado, a couple tablespoons pure unsweetened cocoa powder, whole milk, honey and whole milk plain yogurt and sometimes pb=an awesome healthy chocolate milkshake!!

I'm scared to add avocado to a smoothie. Do you taste it at all? I love them as a savory food but not sure about sweet...
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Cup of vanilla almond milk, 1 banana, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • lisamfranck
    Options
    I have figured out a way to make a green smoothie without the bad taste. This is the only way I get my dark greens. I have a vitamix, which really blends the veggies so you don't even know they are there. I keep a container in the freezer that I constantly add fruit or veggies that are getting over ripe, so they don't go to waste, like bananas, oranges, green beans, etc. You can hide anything in a smoothie! Anyway, I use unsweetened rice out soy milk for the liquid, so it's low cal. Whole Foods unsweetened rice milk is the lowest at 45 cal. Otherwise, I get Trader Joe's stuff.
    So, 1/2 cup of some juice (I found a no sugar added, not from concentrate cranberry at Trader Joe's), or apple, orange, etc., just something with low sugar., then 1 cup rice milk, large handful of spinach, large handful kale (or some other "power greens" bag of stuff) scoop of protein powder (I'm vegan, so I use Garden Of Life-not the meal, but raw powder=85 cal), then a cup to a cup and a half of some combo of frozen fruits (rasp, straw, blue berries, bananas, peaches, etc), whatever you like. It generally works out to under 450 cal, and I have it for breakfast most days, or lunch. I promise! You can't tell there is a bunch of greens! Good luck!
  • kchezelle
    kchezelle Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I make mine with Kale x pear x OJ
    Weird combination but good
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    1+ cup spinage or kale or some other green leaf; 1 scoop vanilla protien powder; 1 banana; 1/2 cup blueberries or strawberries; 16 oz 1% milk. That is my go to smoothie....
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new here...restarted yesterday. Here's the smoothie I made today...it's a SkinnyMom recipe which I added spinach to:
    1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (I used 1% milk)
    1/4 cup black coffee chilled
    1/2 cup frozen raspberries (I used 3/4 cup)
    1 tsp cocoa powder
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    Sweetener (recipe suggests 4tsp stevia...I used honey to keep it natural)
    8-10 ice cubes
    A handful spinach (my addition)
    Blend it good!
    You really don't taste the spinach in this :)
  • missnolder890
    missnolder890 Posts: 72 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    2 cups (total, not of each one) of frozen pineapple, strawberry, bananas and dark cherries. ( or any combo, this is just my personal favorite)
    1/2 cup of non fat vanilla Greek yogurt
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
    225 calories
    Fits perfectly in a single serve size blender
    Very sweet, delicious and filling. It's My go-to breakfast or late night snack.