Disc disease :s

Options
fitnesia
fitnesia Posts: 21
edited April 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone

I was diagnosed with a degenerative disc in my lower back just two weeks ago at a very young age ( I will keep my age private ) and my physical therapist told me to stop my intense cardio/strength workouts like 6 week 6 pack, JM Shred, JM cardio...etc and stick with things like walking, biking, and swimming. I'm so frustrated because I feel that it takes forever to burn just 300 calories with those exercises at a low intensity ( as she mentioned ) so does anyone here have a disc in their back? Please let me know what you guys do!!

Replies

• Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I had 2 ruptured discs in my neck...

...Bit the bullet and went for removing them and spinal fusion. Probably the best choice i've made in a very long time!

If you need any info, gimme a shout.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. So spend more time working on eating healthier. You can eat at a deficit without doing any additional calorie burning.

Exercise should address other fitness goals (cardiovascular, muscle mass/strength, mobility, speed, balance, agility, endurance, etc.). Figure out what your fitness goal is and then develop a program you can do (with your limitations) to meet that goal.
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I sympathise - I am probably older (in fact most likely) and also just been diagnosed the same. I was told to become a yoga fanatic and to lose another stone. So of course I have not done either - just felt sorry for myself.

I was also told not to swim unless I did it 'properly' as if you swim with your head out of the water you are actually bending the spine the wrong way.

I will be doing the yoga in a few weeks (once I have had an operation and recovered from another ailment).... I have bought a mat! And yes, the number of calories will not be great but tbh isn't the fact that I can still move be a bonus? I would rather do limited calorie burn cardio exercise and keep moving than ignore advice and carry on doing exercises that may result in much more serious pain/imobility in the future.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The best approach initiall