Milk question

fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
edited 11:34AM in Food and Nutrition
How is it that in the listings here fat free organic milk has 100 cals a cup, whereas apparently full fat (4%) milk has only 90 cals a cup?

Also do you prefer full fat, semi, or skim milk? I can't decide as skim has more sugar, but less fat. Now the calorie thing has thrown me.

Replies

• CjsWifey411
    CjsWifey411 Posts: 12
    I use 2% milk.. I just don't like the taste of skim milk... as for calories I would check the container if you are unsure about what it says on here.. I have found a few items to be a little off so far..
  • ladyluck1396
    ladyluck1396 Posts: 4 Member
    i prefer whole milk, even though my brand has 150cal in 8oz, i absolutely refuse to switch to skim, YUCK!
  • Roe1968
    Roe1968 Posts: 133
    almond milk is the way to go....simply delicious and no chemicals....
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    When you are adding into your food diary you have to look at the # of confirmations. I look at the information even if there are confirmations before I add it to make sure it's accurate.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,309 Member
    Someone entered the calories incorrectly. Or they buy some brand with sugar added.

My organic fat free milks are 90 cals, the 2% are 100.

I prefer fat free - but it was not an easy transition.
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Love skim! Homogenized milk is like cream to me - yuck!
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    I didn't mind milk, but once I tried to drink a cup after a run and it ruined cow's milk for me forever. (I was sick for hours) I love almonds so Almond milk for me. Soy milk wasn't bad, just prefer the almond milk.
  • EmilyQC
    EmilyQC Posts: 69 Member
    You should look into switching to Almond Milk, only 60 calories for 1 cup, low in fat high in vitamins! Its great for you and takes good too. By elminating any dairy products you'll have an easier time losing weight.
  • fteale
    I am strictly vegetarian, so removing dairy isn't that possible for me. I don't really have any other source of protein (I don't like nuts).
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    I drink skim milk, but am trying to switch to soy milk. I tried almond milk and didn't like it.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Silk Light Vanilla Soy Milk - 70 cal per serving! :-D
  • Firesign
    Firesign Posts: 169 Member
    Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk ...no sugar or carbs .. and it is really good
  • kuhristeee
    kuhristeee Posts: 100 Member
    By elminating any dairy products you'll have an easier time losing weight.
    Says who? Many people eat plenty of dairy and lose weight just as easily and healthily.

To the OP, I buy either 1% or 2% milk. :) HATE skim milk because it's too watery, and whole milk has too many calories for me (something like 150 cals per cup I think), so 1% and 2% are happy mediums.

I think 2% has something like 120 cals per cup and 1% is 100 cals per cup. Personally, I can tell NO difference in taste between 1% and 2%. :)
  • Wildflower3475
    Wildflower3475 Posts: 79 Member
    Love skim milk and Silk chocolate soy milk!
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    I use skim milk! My friend told me to use almond milk because it was lower in calories and it is the same calories as the skim milk I drink! I have used Skim milk for ages now and cannot handle 2%; it is too thick! LOL!
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    I use skim milk! My friend told me to use almond milk because it was lower in calories and it is the same calories as the skim milk I drink! I have used Skim milk for ages now and cannot handle 2%; it is too thick! LOL!
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    I like skim milk and also my new fav is light vanilla Silk- so yummy!
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Says who? Many people eat plenty of dairy and lose weight just as easily and healthily.

To the OP, I buy either 1% or 2% milk. :) HATE skim milk because it's too watery, and whole milk has too many calories for me (something like 150 cals per cup I think), so 1% and 2% are happy mediums.

I think 2% has something like 120 cals per cup and 1% is 100 cals per cup. Personally, I can tell NO difference in taste between 1% and 2%. :)
    I have actually read that getting dairy- milk especially- contributes to weight LOSS!
  • fteale

I have actually read that getting dairy- milk especially- contributes to weight LOSS!

I have heard that from a few sources.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    I can't drink anything but fat free milk, I loooove it. 1% if I try hard enough. One, milk with fat in it has a sweet weird taste to me and makes me feel nauseous, and two, I once saw full fat milk at microscopic view. The fat bubbles floating on the milk are.. YELLOW. Blehhhhjdhkfhsldkfhlskf. Never again did I drink whole milk again.

I've tried Silk, hated it. And I've tried the vanilla flavored almond milk, which I enjoyed; it's just a tad expensive, and doesn't work well with recipes calling for milk.
This discussion has been closed.