breakfast/lunch ideas

Options
Hi there! I am new to myfitnesspal, but I have done this weight loss thing time and time again... ;) I finally quit smoking and it's been about 7 months that I've touched those nasty things! So now I am looking to change my eating habits and lose some weight. I have cut out alcohol and caffeine already and I am working on making better lifestyle choices overall!

I am looking for some low sodium snacks and breakfast/lunch ideas specifically. I am a bit picky and I do not eat eggs, beef or pork at all and I am on a low sodium diet per my doctor's recommendations, so it makes those meals a bit hard for me.

I've been sticking to watermelon, a mandarin orange and chocolate Silk in the AM and taco salad without dressing for lunch, but I'd love some ideas from you all!

Replies

• tlynnxoxox
    Options
    Bump
  • sclause
    sclause Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking, I know how hard it is, I quit last July. I'm also picky, I don't eat beef, pork, eggs at all either and only sometimes chicken or fish. I'm not a breakfast person so usually I'll make a bowl of oatmeal with whole rolled oats, water, a splash of soy milk and honey. I some times add in fruit or nuts. Lately I've been doing coffee protein shakes for breakfast, you could replace the coffee with decaf, more soy milk or water, but I put in 2 bananas, 1 cup coffee, 1 cup soy milk, 1 scoop protein powder, and ice. The other one I make is just like a pumpkin spice latte from starbucks! 1 cup coffee, 1 cup soy milk, 1/2 cup puree pumpkin(not pie mix), a squeeze of honey, 1 scoop protein powder, a few shakes pumpkin pie spice and ice. These usually tide me over until noon.
    For lunch I do salads, lots of veggies and add in nuts. I also like making wraps with whole wheat tortillas with cream cheese, veggies, and some chopped chicken. Or, I'll do a wrap with tuna and veggies.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with nuts and fresh fruit.
  • tlynnxoxox
    Options
    sclause wrote: »
    Congrats on quitting smoking, I know how hard it is, I quit last July. I'm also picky, I don't eat beef, pork, eggs at all either and only sometimes chicken or fish. I'm not a breakfast person so usually I'll make a bowl of oatmeal with whole rolled oats, water, a splash of soy milk and honey. I some times add in fruit or nuts. Lately I've been doing coffee protein shakes for breakfast, you could replace the coffee with decaf, more soy milk or water, but I put in 2 bananas, 1 cup coffee, 1 cup soy milk, 1 scoop protein powder, and ice. The other one I make is just like a pumpkin spice latte from starbucks! 1 cup coffee, 1 cup soy milk, 1/2 cup puree pumpkin(not pie mix), a squeeze of honey, 1 scoop protein powder, a few shakes pumpkin pie spice and ice. These usually tide me over until noon.
    For lunch I do salads, lots of veggies and add in nuts. I also like making wraps with whole wheat tortillas with cream cheese, veggies, and some chopped chicken. Or, I'll do a wrap with tuna and veggies.

That is awesome! Congrats girl! It's so hard quitting smoking and this is my millionth attempt at that too, but this is the longest I have ever gone but I absolutely replaced cigs with food so I really have to get back to a healthier lifestyle! Thank you for the suggestions :)
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal for breakfast, maybe overnight oats with yogurt & fruit. Certain breads & wraps are higher sodium than others, so be careful with those. Ditto shellfish (shrimp, etc). How do you fix your taco salad? Commercial seasonings & cheese are high in sodium. Homemade soups. Mrs. Dash makes some really nice sodium free seasoning packets, also, Herb-ox makes sodium free chicken (& beef, but I don't know if you would want that) bouillon packets. Make a bunch of chicken breasts & use those on salads. There are some breakfast rice pudding recipes out there for a different take on it. Can also use rice as the base of a meal instead of bread. Buy dried beans & cook them, or use canned but rinse really well.