Too extreme?

I'm 3 consecutive days into logging everything I eat to lose 2lbs a week. This allotted me around 1600 cal a day. I am struggling to eat all I've my calories for the day. I have been under my calories every day ranging from 100 to 350 left over calories. I have also been a vegetarian for over a year and used to carb up. I'm scared if I have extra calories I'll go for the "bad" carbs again and end up gaining. I'm just curious as if I should eat all the calories I am given and if going under the calorie goal is a potential danger?

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    i wouldn't worry too much if its 100 cals. but if your 350 cals yes maybe eat something. have a handful of almonds theyre like 100 cals for 11 or something. u dont need to turn to carbs. put pb on celery have a piece of cheese. i recommend protien as its more satisfying
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    jamimontel wrote: »
    I'm 3 consecutive days into logging everything I eat to lose 2lbs a week. This allotted me around 1600 cal a day. I am struggling to eat all I've my calories for the day. I have been under my calories every day ranging from 100 to 350 left over calories. I have also been a vegetarian for over a year and used to carb up. I'm scared if I have extra calories I'll go for the "bad" carbs again and end up gaining. I'm just curious as if I should eat all the calories I am given and if going under the calorie goal is a potential danger?

What's a bad carb?
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    It's rare that someone is in a deficit and has a hard time hitting their minimum calories, if they were gaining before.

Are you weighing your foods with a food scale so that you know your calorie count is accurate?
  • ncboiler89
    It's rare that someone is in a deficit and has a hard time hitting their minimum calories, if they were gaining before.

Are you weighing your foods with a food scale so that you know your calorie count is accurate?

What this dude said
  • TammyToes03
    TammyToes03 Posts: 96 Member
    I noticed many logs don't include what was used to cook with (olive oil, coconut oil) or condiments and seasonings. Are you including everything?
  • ncboiler89
    I noticed many logs don't include what was used to cook with (olive oil, coconut oil) or condiments and seasonings. Are you including everything?

If it has calories it needs to be counted. And weigh your food if you are not.
  • FitNaeNae84
    FitNaeNae84 Posts: 29 Member
    Is the extra calories after a workout?
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

If it has calories it needs to be counted. And weigh your food if you are not.

This.
    and if you truly are below your limit by a few hundred calories, then eat healthy fats and proteins like nuts, a high protein yogurt or cottage cheese. Or have a treat. :) Don't deprive yourself too much or it'll be harder to stick to it.
  • jamimontel
    jamimontel Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2015
    I do weigh my food and add every condiment and oil as well if I cook it. I'm trying to stay away from restaurants because I'm not sure what all they use to cook it. But like yesterday I had to guess. I've never calculated my calories until now so I'm hoping I've cut down quite a bit. When I say bad carbs I'm thinking mainly of bread related items. Lol I love bread. And sweets! :-/ i did step on the scale tonight and I am down 4lbs...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    What's wrong with bread?
  • jamimontel
    jamimontel Posts: 4 Member
    I don't know lol I guess I've just always been told it was bad for you if you're trying to lose weight.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    If ur down 4 ur doing great be sure to weigh urself at the same time in the same clothes or if like me in undies so ur fairly accurate. No food is off limits but if u find u cant control yourself around a certain food its smart to leave it out for a bit till u feel ready. But try and be close to ur calorie goal.
  • ncboiler89
    I don't know lol I guess I've just always been told it was bad for you if you're trying to lose weight.

Sandwiches are awesome!
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Sandwiches are awesome!

Seconded!
  • NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    The only thing I don't log exactly is my water/herbal teas which are negligible (I believe - correct me if I'm wrong). Even after the occasional binge, and I feel it's almost helped me stop now or at least be more in control of how much I eat, I go back and log every bag of crisps; every single marshmallow; each square of choc. All my junk food (or as I call them, my one a day treats) comes with per biscuit/per pack so if it goes in my mouth it goes in my diary!

As long as you count it, it helps to satisfy you and it fits in your deficit there is no 'bad' carb :)
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    When I started last year, the first week it was difficult to stay at my goal, not realizing how many calories were in my normal foods, I kept going over. After about a week or so, it was so hard to even come close to eating my entire goal, I just wasn't hungry at all any more, I really struggled. But thankfully that phase only lasted another week or so, after that I was comfortable eating right at my goal. I would say, as long as it doesn't become a habit that lasts longer than a week or two, you should be fine being under. Your mind and body will get used to your new way of eating and staying at your goal will be easier
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member

The reason bread and similar foods get a bad rap is, for many people, eating them doesn't leave them feeling full. This in turn means they eat more since they're still hungry. Cutting out the "empty" calories can help lose weight.

I still have a sandwich every day - though I've switched to fresh-baked breads from a local bakery. They taste yummier than the store-bought stuff.

If you find that eating carbs like bread just leaves you feeling hungry afterwards, try cutting back and upping your protein and healthy fats. If your sandwich would be with 2 pieces of bread, just do one. If you're making toast, spread some nut butter on it - but make sure you weigh it! Nut butters are calorie-dense and what looks like a serving measured in a tablespoon won't look the same weighed out.

You may also benefit from switching to whole grain options to see if they leave you feeling more full also.

Best of luck :)

~Lyssa
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,866 Member
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, most people seem to label foods as bad or good when they try and lose weight and in doing that shift blame to the food and end up with a good list that is short and nutritionally deficient in many cases. Eat more fat and refined carbs are not bad, so eat a few of them too, like bread or pasta and your problem is solved.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    I think you should just keep a bunch of gelato and ice cream on hand and when you are at the end of the day with calories left, DIG IN.

(this may or may not be what I do. Oh, who am I kidding? It's exactly what I do.)

Also, you can tell the "bad" carbs because they tend to skulk around in dark corners, smoking cigarettes and running 3 card monte games.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member

The only requirement to lose is a deficit. The only bad foods are "rotten" foods.