Aqua Belly Dance and Aqua Aerobics

Options
I've lost 25 pounds, and counting, doing Aqua Aerobics at the YMCA, I also teach aqua belly dance and I am a regular belly dance troupe (7 yrs). We perform all of the time.
I also do land Zumba and water Zumba.
And aqua strength training.
It is so wonderful to do these things in the water. It has helped my Fibromyalgia pain tremendously. It has also helped my lower back pain. It is so easy on your joints, you don't get jostled around. The water resistance has helped me build muscle. We use, webbed gloves, weights on our ankles, medicine balls, noodles, kick boards, etc. Wow! My thighs are getting so trimmed and I actually have little mini guns! I love it!
I don't know what I would do without it.

Replies

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Wednesday is always leg day for me so Thursdays I usually can't walk. I do aqua Zumba on Thursdays just to get a workout in and it's soooooooo nice. all the old ladies always tell me I'm to young for that class hahaha
  • NikkiHardenburghAshendorf
    Options
    I love aqua zumba! The ladies I exercise with totally embraced me. They are soo much fun! They totally make my day!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    aqua bellydance?

um.

I...
    u... I can't.
  • NikkiHardenburghAshendorf
    Options
    What do you mean?
  • Thunderthighs131
    Thunderthighs131 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love aqua workouts!!!! I'm currently doing aqua sculpt, water aerobics, aqua tabata, and aqua spin. I told my water aerobics instructor that I'm considering becoming an instructor once I get to my goal. We use the noodles and the water barbells.

I started the classes in November. In February, I had to get a new suit in a smaller size, and this new suit is already starting to feel a little loose. One of the ladies at the pool commented to me that "it's working!" when she saw me walking in one day last week!

It is very easy on the joints, and I sleep so well at night after classes.

It's the only thing that has gotten me to workout consistently! I don't know what I would do without it either!
  • kandysdandy64
    kandysdandy64 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been taking the aqua classes at my gym 3 days a week and love them. I would love to take more but the others don't coincide with my work schedule. I can tell the difference in my legs they are getting toner.
    I recently came off Lyrica for my fibro and can't wait to see what happens. I also take a regular zumba class one day a week. Any suggestions out there for pain after the workouts. I usually get a headache almost migraine.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'd love to try aqua zumba and aqua belly dance!! I did aquatic therapy last summer and loved it. I felt like I was playing instead of working out. I have FMS, too.
  • Kiku10
    Kiku10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Water areobics in the warm water deep pool at the Y was a huge step for me beginning to manage my FM.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    What do you mean?

I guess I struggle to understand how you do aqua bellydance when the whole point of that style of dance is to make the music visible. That is literally the point- you're a visual representation of what's going on in the music.

And I under stand that all of these things feel good in the water- and I don't begrudge anyone for doing things that feel good- but I just find that really .... odd.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Aqua zumba is SO much fun. I've done it a few times, and always had a blast. Nice way to switch up the routine.

I don't know if I'd go for aqua belly dance. Belly dance is such a beautiful series of movements, and performing them really precisely is what I've enjoyed in the past. I'd imagine the water would make precision really difficult, and you would remove the performance aspect (which I enjoy) entirely.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    If i wasn't deathly afraid of drowning because i'm a terrible swimmer, i would be down for aqua classes.