Replies

• xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    it is a pet peeve of mine as well!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Have a great day and hope you pants are getting LOOSER!!!

Snicker.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    And someone please explain the difference between effect and affect.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I'm also bugged by the improper use of your, you're and to, too and two. Oh, and WHY do alot of people spell ridiculous wrong? It's ridiculous, not rediculous.

You know that "alot" is not a word, right? Hahaha.

Is it okay to quote myself? I am going to anyway, I don't care. All I can think of is this:

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

Enjoy!

Ha ha, I was totally going to post the same link. Everytime I see "alot" I think of that blog.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Ha ha ... I love SCRABBLE so don't assume I am an English teacher ... :smile:

I have noticed time and time again, the word 'loose' used when it should be 'lose' .... 'loose' is an adjective and 'lose' is a verb ...

When I LOSE 10 pounds, my pants will be LOOSE.

:drinker:

This also drives me nuts! But I'm OCD about stuff like that.....

But that doesn't stop me from wanting to dig my eyeballs out with a melon baller every time I see it.....................
  • JJtexasgirl
    JJtexasgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Another high school English teacher (who just finished grading essays written by 10th graders) here. I have too many writing pet-peeves to list them all! Some that annoy me the most...

god instead of God - its His name, kind of like Bob or Susie

becuz - are we really too lazy to write in 2 more letters? (because = 7 letters, becuz = 5 letters)

or worse, cuz - are you talking about your aunt's child?

random capitalization within sentences - this is a new one - what's the deal with that?

too -v- to - too means also, to means location

Ok, I'll stop now, especially since I still have 2 classes of essays to read. Sometimes, they make my head hurt.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Wait...would someone please explain the difference again?
    I don't think their going to explain it to you. Your a lost cause.

Was that on purpose? :tongue:
    Did I loose you? There all slowly dieing inside just reading my sentences. You're welcome.

I like you. You're funny.

Girl, thank you for the loose PSA--no matter how many times it gets posted, it is apparently not enough.
  • ridiculyss
    ridiculyss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Holy Cow. THANK YOU.
    That's been driving me batty for awhile. Especially since on this site those terms are rather common.
    I bug my friend whenever she misspells "lose" on IM. lol
  • stephfilako
    stephfilako Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    No matter what, this has been a fun thread to read! I needed that lighthearted moment today!

Thank you
  • Evjones28
    Evjones28 Posts: 70
    Options
    Hilarious thread ... and so true :laugh:
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options

I have noticed time and time again, the word 'loose' used when it should be 'lose' .... 'loose' is an adjective and 'lose' is a verb ...

This also makes the hairs on the back of my neck go up! Whilst it may be an easy mistake to make, I am sure we are taught the difference when we are around 7 years old or something! LOL
  • aimgirl
    aimgirl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Oops, yes, I do know that...my bad. :blushing:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That's such a peeve of mine. Right up there with your vs you're and there vs their vs they're.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I'm also bugged by the improper use of your, you're and to, too and two. Oh, and WHY do alot of people spell ridiculous wrong? It's ridiculous, not rediculous.

btw, it's "a lot," not "alot." There's no such word as "alot."
  • Kirk_D
    Kirk_D Posts: 85
    Options
    Ain't got a lot..... ?
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    Ugh! People are killing me by writing "tamarrow" ! It's tomorrow people...really it is - I swear! Look it up! Use auto correct - something -anything!! LOL!! :laugh: I am so happy I am not the only one out there bothered by this stuff...
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It drives me crazy to see people unable or unwilling to try to use correct English. I know it's teh interwebz and all, but still.... make an effort!

In Oregon they have started allowing spell check to be used on the state tests.... this about made my head explode. Way to encourage people to LEARN TO SPELL! Wonder what will happen when these kids go to college and are expected to know how to use a dictionary!
  • dandydalek
    dandydalek Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Ironically, my pet peeve is people using the two words "a" and "lot" as one word. AKA, alot. ^.^
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options

Huh...who knew?

Right? :noway:

LOL
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Over there they're their own worst enemies.:bigsmile: