Insanity - Motivation, Tips & Tricks

Options
The fact that the workout series is named "Insanity" should be enough of a clue that these workout videos are not easy. After trying out the series for 2 weeks, I felt great doing it, although it was hard for me to complete the entire video and at times I'm not sure my heart rate should have been as high as it was. :p

Anyways, on to the point.. Wondering, for those of you who have done Insanity and have gotten results, what some of your tips are (meals, snacking, workout and eating schedules, what to avoid and what to attempt to do, etc)? I would really like to stick with this program but am struggling a little bit to stay motivated and find the time do it 5-6 times a week. I feel like getting some advice from veterans and changing up some of the things I may be doing wrong/ could be doing better may help me start to see results faster and would really kick things into gear for me and help me stay motivated.

Thanks in advance ;)

Replies

• RevGillTC
    RevGillTC Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi Stephanie,
    Welcome to the Insane world!
    There are a couple of long running threads out there, and there are always people starting the program who are looking for friends. I found daily logging on to the message boards a great way of keeping motivated.
    I'm only half way through the 2nd month, and am getting a little dispirited because my weight loss has stalled, but I'll happily share my tips to date such as they are!:
    1. Don't be tempted to do any other exercise (apart from walking the dog etc which is a necessary exercise!) Insanity is hard enough without stressing out your body even more.
    2. Eating regularly and within your macros and calories is more important than doing their fancy eating plan - most people I've heard of dropped off the menu fairly quickly! So feel free to eat 2 or 5 times - what ever works for you - rather than feel constrained by Shaun T!
    3. Drink LOTS of water. The whole Recovery formula is a bit more of a con. I had a recovery shake for the 1st month, but have managed just as well without it for the 2nd - and it gives me more calories for real food!
    4. Don't be afraid of adding the occasional rest days (only occasional mind) to the proscribed ones. I had an extra rest day in my first month, and another a couple of days ago. Life gets in the way. It happens. What's more important? That you finish the system healthier than you went in, or that you try and fail to complete it faithfully?
    5. But do try and find the time to do it every day - it works by taking your muscles past the point of fatigue. If you aren't still a little tired from the day before then it'll be less effective.
    6. Measure yourself right now - then ditch the scales and go off measurements. I've lost 8-11 inches, but only a few lbs...

I think that's about it for the mo, but I'll add more if I think of them!
  • danfiveoh
    Options
    I've finished Insanity, and have continued with that and P90X ever since so I can give you a little bit of advice.... and it'll probably echo a fair bit of what was said above...

Firstly, it does work. I probably lost 4lbs in total but I lost many inches all over, I've had to replace a fair bit of my wardrobe. Don't get hung up on weight loss, you may not find much drops off but you will tone and you will feel a hell of a lot better about yourself.

In terms of diet, I didn't follow the plan and I didn't have any of their shakes available to me, plus to be honest I don't work out to diet as well, I work out because I enjoy it and I like to be able to eat mostly what I want. I worked on portion sizes and my macros and stuck to a calorie deficit, with a cheat day. Occasional cakes make it all worth it.

Rest. 6 days a week is a lot, especially in Month 2. I found some weeks 5 days was more than enough. Get enough sleep.

Good luck, and stick with it, you'll be surprised at how much different you look at the end. I didn't really think I looked much different until I compared Day 1 and Day 60 photos (you have to get the t-shirt). People will comment, you'll want to continue further like I did. You have absolutely nothing to lose.
  • kimbelle_vie
    kimbelle_vie Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!