Want To Gain Muscles In Thighs

Options
I have been lifting for quite a while, since before losing weight. I am now at the point of trying to maintain, but really want to gain muscle in my thighs to fill in some of the space where the fat used to be. I hate the flabbiness! I don't know how much I can do at my age, but I have to try!

I do squats, deadlifts, and lunges, but not sure I'm doing them right as far as number of reps, weight, etc. Is it true that for the legs more reps are better?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You should be pretty spent by around 8 to 12 reps. The last rep should be very difficult to complete.

How many leg sets do you do per workout, and how often do you to them?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    What is your current rep scheme? What weight are you moving? How long have you been doing this particular program?

How much protein have you been eating? Are you still eating at a deficit or have you increased your calories?
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting for quite a while, since before losing weight. I am now at the point of trying to maintain, but really want to gain muscle in my thighs to fill in some of the space where the fat used to be. I hate the flabbiness! I don't know how much I can do at my age, but I have to try!

I do squats, deadlifts, and lunges, but not sure I'm doing them right as far as number of reps, weight, etc. Is it true that for the legs more reps are better?

high weight low reps. builds bulk.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,157 Member
    Options
    Cycling ... get out there and ride lots. :)
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I agree with biking with clips on your pedals or cages-both engage thighs on upstroke Besides that it is fun!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Walking! Its amazing for those thighs and jogging.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Thighs? Start running! Bam!
  • kdt2013
    kdt2013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with the cycling recommendation. Deadlifts and squats as well. While deadlifts and squats build significant muscle, cycling will fill in the gaps. Especially interval training. An example, go as hard as you can for 30 sec, spin out at a lower effort for 45 sec. Do that ten times 3x a week and you'll put in muscle. Also you will build great endurance. Then go for a distance ride once a week if you can. I've pushed mine up to 45 sec sprints and seen great gains.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been doing Stronglifts for at least a year and a half. I did gain a lot of strength. I was eating at a deficit up until July of last year when I had lost all I wanted to lose. At this point I have regained a few pounds which I want to get back off. I was doing 3 x 5 with up to 135 pounds of weight, but had to back off the weight some since I strained my back on a deadlift at 135. Just recently I have started doing more reps of squats with less weight because I read that for the lower body it is better to do more reps to gain muscle. So hard to know what to believe. I also have been doing lunges, which I hope are a good thing to be doing.

About the biking.........The only way I can bike is at the gym, which I really don't have time for. I prefer to do 1/2 hour walks during the day on weekdays rather than spending more time at the gym at night. I also try to do one hour walks both days on the weekends. I live in a very Wintry area, so the roads are just clearing off now.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    theoneandonlybrookie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have a spinning class? I'm scared of riding my bike on the road now because one of my co-workers was killed by a driver a few years ago. I do spinning three times a week and it's built up my quads, thighs, and butt. Plus, it's HIIT. I feel like I'm in as good shape cardio wise as I was when I was running several days a week.

And I agree with clipping in, even in spinning.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    If you are currently eating at deficit, all the lunges thrusts and dl's in the world ain't gonna build much. Start eating a more and increase the loads.
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    About the biking.........The only way I can bike is at the gym, which I really don't have time for.

Then do you really want the legs? Sorry, had to ask.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    heavy squats build up my quads really quickly. Kinda worried about becoming a T-Rex
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure weight lifting is more effective at building muscle than bike riding (it is cardio afterall). I'd look into a hypertrophy program, and think about starting to eat at a slight surplus.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    About the biking.........The only way I can bike is at the gym, which I really don't have time for.

She should probably skip the biking if she really wants the legs.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

this
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    Trechechus wrote: »

this

I don't know. I've gotten great results biking. Ever see the legs of a pro biker?

Anyway, I was more perplexed by the not having time comment.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    If I lay off running for a while, the first thing I notice when my body starts to whip back into shape is my quads.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    If you are currently eating at deficit, all the lunges thrusts and dl's in the world ain't gonna build much. Start eating a more and increase the loads.

Afraid to eat more, since I've gained a few pounds back as it is. Do need to eat less junk, and more real food, though.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Yes.

Eat at a surplus, or you're wasting your time. 100-250 calories over maintenance should do it.

And lift - might want to look into a leg-targeted body building program since that's your interest. I'm assuming such a thing exists.