Record a gain?

Options
Why or why not?

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth with this. I finally recorded a bit of gain I had over the past couple of weeks. My main problem with it is that the site never announces when you gain, so if you enter a gain, followed by a loss and end up where you were a few weeks ago, everybody says "congrats", etc, and I feel I shouldn't be congratulated for a fluctuation. I would prefer if both gains and losses were announced by the site. Especially because many people are in weight gain mode, so they deserve some kudos when they gain.
  • fumblerdog
    fumblerdog Posts: 63
    Options
    Yes - because it helps me track patterns. If I always gain some after I eat X or drink Y, how am I going to learn to adjust my habits if I don't have accurate feedback? Keeping track of the ups AND downs is crucial for me.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth with this. I finally recorded a bit of gain I had over the past couple of weeks. My main problem with it is that the site never announces when you gain, so if you enter a gain, followed by a loss and end up where you were a few weeks ago, everybody says "congrats", etc, and I feel I shouldn't be congratulated for a fluctuation. I would prefer if both gains and losses were announced by the site. Especially because many people are in weight gain mode, so they deserve some kudos when they gain.

I record gains because it motivates me to drink more water, etc. But I do feel guilty when everyone says "good job" bacuse I wasn't really good
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I track mine, just because it helps keep track of what you are doing right and wrong!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Since our weight fluctuates quite a bit, I only record weight gain of 5 pounds. I am in maintenance mode and I think it keeps me honest. I do wish the site would "announce" the gain as well as the loss though for the same reason stated earlier, cause when I finally do lose the weight, folks are congratulating me when it is the 2 or 3 time around!!!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I record gains along with recording when I have a huge calorie day or insane sodium day so I can see what foods do what to me (and my progress) over time.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

I feel the same way, but I end up recording gains because I like being able to look back and see my trends or progress in the reports area. It does suck to see 'LOST 3 LBS!!' when you know you really didn't, but yeah... I still record any change during the week in my weigh in.
  • doublexhelix
    doublexhelix Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i definitely agree with taso!
    but i record gains anyway, because it helps me keep accountable. usually it goes down and is a TINY gain + a big water retention gain but it reminds me 1) to not eat poorly 2) to drink hella water and 3) not to obsess over gains! as long as you keep the good fight they all go back down eventually
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate so much that a few pounds up and down throughout a week (or a day!) are not uncommon. So I record it only if it sticks around for a couple weeks. I agree about not feeling like I deserve congrats when the site announces I lose those back again.
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    If you have a weight ticker it will adjust. I was down 9 pounds, but gained so my ticker adjusted to my weight now only saying I lost 5 lbs..
  • sanifrey
    sanifrey Posts: 2,355 Member
    Options
    ACCOUNTABILITY!! It's no fun seeing that ticker creep up, but it does keep us accountable & helps us fix the problems.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I record gains because it motivates me to drink more water, etc. But I do feel guilty when everyone says "good job" bacuse I wasn't really good

Can I say something?

72 pounds ... Good Job! =)
  • 145Karen
    145Karen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would never record a gain I don't know if it's right or wrong I just can't seem to want to admit that I am failing and yes I know a little gain does not always mean I am failing but in y mind I am. a little something else I need to work on!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Yes - because it helps me track patterns. If I always gain some after I eat X or drink Y, how am I going to learn to adjust my habits if I don't have accurate feedback? Keeping track of the ups AND downs is crucial for me.

Same here.
  • irunwithscissors
    irunwithscissors Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every week on Friday, if I gain I do not record it, however if I am still up the following Friday, then I do record it. Like a lot of other people here, I don't like to be congratulated on losing the same few pounds twice.. :) I also agree with someone above me, It should announce if you gain on your message board. I think it would make you more accountable! Also for those who are gaining.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    My weight can fluctuate by up to 2-3 lbs depending on how much water I am retaining. I have actually fluctuated by 6 lbs in one day due to TOM, so I don't record gains. Otherwise I would be recording gains every other day. I know whether I have stayed within my calories and have kept up my exercise, so I don't let it bother me when the scale goes up because eventually it will go down again.
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options
    I think of it in terms of money! If I have $200, and spend $50... I'm left with $150 right?

Lose a dollar, earn a dollar... I still have $150! I really don't LOSE any money until I drop five bucks for good... and voila... $145.

It sounds a little silly, but that's how I look at it.
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Yes. I only weigh once a week. I record every weigh in. I want to be able to see the overall trend.
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    I'm way too fanatical about weighing (almost every day) so I go up & down a lot obviously. It does help keep it always in the front of my mind and keep me on track if I do have a gain. It's too easy for me to forget what I should be doing if I don't have that daily reminder of what it's all about.

It is annoying that it keeps 'rewarding' the same loss over & over though - last week i lost the same pound 3 times! I think you can delete a status update after it's been posted so you can always just delete the redundant ones so you don't get kudos from everyone the second time you lose that pesky pound,
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't see why not. If it's just water fluctuations it's good for tracking patterns and whatnot. If it's not water fluctuation then well.....you'd be lying to yourself if you didn't record it.