ive been doing the 5.2/ 4.3 diet for 2 weeks now and lost 4 pounds

Options
ive been doing the 5.2 diet for 2 weeks now, ive lost 4 pounds. but ive been eating around 750 calories on fast days and doing about 2 hours of cardio and 30 minutes of weights. then on normal days i eat around 1600 calories and still do the same amount of exercise. is they any way i could make my weight loss quicker?. im 4 foot 11 and 138 pounds and i want to get to 105 pounds. also i fast 3 days a week because i feel its easier for me. do u think if i cut my calories on fast day to around 600 i will lose more weight? or if i up the exercise?

Replies

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    2lb a week is at the upper end of healthy weight loss. So you're losing at a decent rate already IMO. We don't put weight on over night so we can't expect to lose it overnight either.

Keep up the good work so far :)
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    2lbs/week is the maximum recommended rate for healthy weight loss, so while you could lose quicker, you'd only be doing yourself harm in the long run. And with only 33lbs to lose you should be aiming for 1lb/week anyway. Weight loss is usually quite quick at first then starts to slow down to a more steady rate, so you'll probably find your rate of loss slows down, which is good. Going too fast will only cause problems.
  • ravikrishna
    ravikrishna Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've been doing 5:2 from the past 1.2 months. I've cut down my calories on NF days to 1200 and on Fast days to 600. I've been losing 1 kg/week.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've been doing 5:2 from the past 1.2 months. I've cut down my calories on NF days to 1200 and on Fast days to 600. I've been losing 1 kg/week.

That is not healthy or sustainable. On NF days you should eat normally.
  • DemoraFairy
    Options
    Hi,

Wow, most people would say 1200 is way too low for a guy eating it everyday, let alone with 2 days of 600...
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I lost my weight with alternate day IF, so I did an every other day rotation. On my Down days I stayed within 300-500 calories, but on my Up days I made sure to eat higher calories (I'd go over 2,000 calories some up days and I wasn't exercising). It's really important that you eat at maintenance levels on your Up days. If you're trying to restrict calories on your Down days AND your Up days, you're just setting yourself up for disaster. I had no problem losing almost 60lbs eating higher calories on my Up days :)

When I began transitioning into maintenance I switched to 5:2 and did 500 calorie Down days and didn't track at all on my Up days-continued to lose and actually had to stop doing it because my weight got too low. Now I've been maintaining for two years and do 16:8IF. Love love love IF and will always do it in some form!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're not on biggest loser, 4lbs in 2 weeks is fast enough.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi,

You're doing it wrong... If you have 2 fast days you should eat at maintenance on non fast days... Eating 1200 cals is just ridiculous.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    OP - 5:2 is not a fast weight loss protocol. Often it will be less than a pound a week if done properly.
    You should be eating at maintenance (TDEE) on your non-fast days.

If you are going to chose a plan then follow the plan. As a "fun sized" person you can't sustain fast weight loss so be patient.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Hi,

No you are not doing 5:2 - you are doing a VLCD. Unless you have some medical imperitive to crash diet then what you are doing is likely to be harmful.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    First Congratulations on your success! I'm still learning all the terminology here on MFP. What's 16:8IF?
  • DemoraFairy
    edited April 2015
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »
    First Congratulations on your success! I'm still learning all the terminology here on MFP. What's 16:8IF?

IF = Intermittent Fasting; eating maintenance most days and much fewer calories (usually 500-600) some days. The numbers refer to how many days you eat maintenance and how many days you fast. So 5:2 is maintenance for 5 days with 2 fasting days, 16:8 is maintenance for 16 days and fasting for 8 days (not 16 days in a row then 8 days in a row, usually with fast days spread throughout the maintenance days).
  • Sarasmaintaining
    edited April 2015
    Options

16:8IF refers to having an 8 hour eating window and then you 'fast' for 16 hours. I break my daily fast at around 11am and then wrap up eating at around 7pm. There's difference variations of it-some people do 5 hour windows, 7 hour windows etc. Outside of my eating window I don't consume calories, except for trace ones in my tea (I have it with 1/2 tsp of splenda/sugar mix).
  • DemoraFairy
    Options

16:8IF refers to having an 8 hour eating window and then you 'fast' for 16 hours. I break my daily fast at around 11am and then wrap up eating at around 7pm. There's difference variations of it-some people do 5 hour windows, 7 hour windows etc. Outside of my eating window I don't consume calories, except for trace ones in my tea (I have it with 1/2 tsp of splenda/sugar mix).

Oh really? Shows what I know haha.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    edited April 2015
    Options

Oh really? Shows what I know haha.

Leangains/Mark Berkhan is where I got a lot of my info on it, a great site to check out if you're interested in this (it's not active anymore, but he's kept up all his articles).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're not on biggest loser, 4lbs in 2 weeks is fast enough.

BAM!
  • SkinnyFit_105
    SkinnyFit_105 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Fast days are suppose to be around 500 or less for women. That is a LOT of exercise BTW. 2 pounds a week is amazing! I'm starting 4:3 but I'm doing a complete fast on fasting days, which means NO food on those days. I'm doing this because I tend to binge and I know I wont stop at only 500 calories, i'm an all or nothing type of person. So i'll eat around 1,800 on eating days and 0 on fast days. As for exercise, on fast days it will probably just be walking and maybe some body weight exercises. Eating days i'll try to do 30-45 minutes cardio and heavy weights. For me personally when I do a TON of cardio, like you're doing, I end up bingeing or eating way more during the day. So take from that what you will. Be patient. it's better to lose 2 a week than try to rush, binge/overeat and maintain/gain. Yes 2 pounds sounds small now but in a month that's 8, meaning you'll hit your goal in about 4-5 months. Ready for spring/summer!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Hi,

That is not healthy or sustainable. On NF days you should eat normally.

+1

OP you're doing well!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    If you want healthy sustainable weight loss keep it under 1% of your bodyweight per week. Under 1% typically falls in the recommended 1-2lb/week range. So, unless you weigh over 200lb (which I doubt based on what info is in your profile), you probably need to eat more food, not less.