How do I maintain as a vegan.

Options
What is the best way to get daily calorie intake as a vegan?

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Uhhhhhh. With food that is vegan? I had no problem gaining weight on a vegan diet, there is no reason a vegan diet would cause you to lose weight you dont want to lose. Just eat enough calories. There is always peanut butter. :)
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    this isn't going to help, but when i glanced at this, i definitely read "how do i maintain a vagina" and i was like wtf
  • Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Answer eat in your maintence calories. If you are vegan ( like me) then eat vegan foods that fit in your maintence calories. CICO applies if you are vegan. Trust me if it was a magic bullit after 25 years of being vegan I would be a size 0 lol. So vegan or not maintence is about eating in your maintence calories.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Same as an omnivore (or any other way of eating): by eating at maintenance calories.
  • trogula
    trogula Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know all that I'm just having a hard time finding foods that have enough calories that I like to eat . I'm never really that hungry anymore
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Is your veganism a recent thing?
  • trogula
    Options
    Yeah since lent started and I decided to stay vegan because I feel great . I'm thinking maybe some supplements and protein shakes are in order . I'm a big fan of vega
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'd probably gain weight as a vegan. PB&J, French fries, spaghetti, and falafel...lol
  • trogula
    Options
    That's it OmG how did I forget about fries!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I would try getting a raw foods cookbook. We ate that way entirely one summer and really enjoyed it. You'll need a food processor, but it's absolutely delicious and very calorie dense. I had no idea what you could do with cashew cream - which you make from just raw cashews.

It's completely Vegan. I think the one we used was called - wait for it - The Raw Foods Cookbook.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I was vegan for ten years and I too had no trouble gaining weight! There are soooo many amazing vegan junk foods out there, and great recipes that make it easy to over-eat.

If you want to eat healthily, and increase your calories in a healthful way -- try incorporating more nuts and nut butters, seeds, good fats and healthy oils (avocados, coconuts, etc). There are some calorie dense fruits like dates or other dried fruit.

It's a total cliche to tell a vegan to make sure they are getting enough protein, but it's a cliche because it's true -- you need to watch that. I was vegan for a very long time and I never actually paid attention to my protein until I was seriously deficient. I didn't even realize how bad it was because it happens so slowly... so be proactive! A vegan diet is super healthy and do-able when you balance what you eat properly. Protein powders and bars are helpful, so are beans, legumes, tofu, tempeh, seitan, and if you don't mind processed stuff, mock meats.

If you need to keep your calories up, it might be a good idea to get a good cookbook and start making rich recipes, such as vegan lasagna or vegan pizza, peanut stirfry, bean & rice burritos, etc... (to name a few).
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Tofu, cook your veggies in a delicious peanut butter sauce, raw coconut meat to snack on. Nuts, trail mix...falafel...I could go on and on...I'm hungry now...I will have a big bowl of fried tofu with chinese noodles and veggies for lunch...trust me, this thing as enough calories for two meals :p
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Nuts!
  • Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I can tell you how to gain weight as a vegan lol :-) but on maintaining. Make some veggie chili with beans and chickoeas, eat tofu, try some of the better vegan meat replacements tofurky beer brats and the other flavors are great. I would say with fake meat watch your salt. It is often loaded with it. If you are going to make smoothies try making them directky vs the poweders. Vega is great and I really like it but try a spinach, alomond milk, banana, blueberry, flax seed. It is really good. If you have a Costco thta you shop at they are great for guant packs of boca burger, big bags of frozen fruit for smoothies, big bags of spinach and tofu.
    Also get yourself a couple of cookbooks pr look up some vegan meals online.

Did you used to like chicken wings? If so I will go find the link to the best vegan chicken wings. The ones that all the resturants who serve vegan wings use. They are made in NYC by an asian company called mihn wah. They are 150 calories a piece. To make they you steam the wings first then toss in sauce and bake.
    I am lucky my coop sells them but you can order them directly. It is a large food service pack but they would last for a long time. Also these guys make vegan fake meat you can't find elsewhere.
    http://www.maywahnyc.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C007L
  • trogula
    Options
    Awesome thank you!
  • kristenveganvixen
    kristenveganvixen Posts: 87 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Nuts!
    Yup! Nuts and seeds are high in calories and protein and good fats. :)

Think of adding loads of yummy things like macadamia nuts, coconut, avocado, tahini, full fat hummus, vegan pestos etc to get your calories up in a healthy way. Sprinkle nuts or seeds on everything and make lovely full-fat dressings for your salads. . Jealous here as I'm trying to lose atm and can't eat quite as much of these as I'd like to! :persevere:

You could as the above poster suggests drink some calories too- have fruit smoothies, and have soya lattes and cappuccinos instead of drinking your coffee black if you're a coffee drinker. I've actually set up my diary with a setting "drinks with calories" as it's all too easy to drink a load of calories and I try noot to unless it's for a treat.

Vegan smart shakes, Sunwarrior or similar like Vega mentioned above (not tried that one yet!) are great for upping your calories as well as getting a load of nutrients in. I actually use them as occasional meal replacement for loss atm but if you're trying to maintain or gain they can also be used as a snack. HTH x
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I just discovered sunflower butter and coconut butter. OMG-so delicious, with almost anything. Just get some "butters" and dip away!
  • JTGJTG
    JTGJTG Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you're going to go that way, be CERTAIN to get all the nutrients you need. My son eats vegan and is now going bald at 21. (Just Google Vegan+hair loss)
  • melodyis4reals
    melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Have you purchased a vegan cookbook, because they are so many. Visit www.theppk.com to get you start on amazingly rich vegan food.
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    cheeseless pizza (I make the dough in a breadmaker so I know it's vegan) or you could even add cheez to it, bread with oil and balsamic and italian seasonings, a panini sandwich (okay can you tell I really miss eating lots of carbs?!) Peanut butter, clif builder bars, desserts made with tofu (tofu cheesecakes!) dark chocolate almonds (OMG so yum) or just chocolate in general (I find the nicer chocolate bars have no milk or honey, or sometimes I'll just have a serving of semi sweet chocolate chips from costco, no milk!), almond milk ice cream,

I take 60g of a protein shake every day to hit 1g of LBM each day - it's an easy way to help me hit my protein goal and I don't think twice about it. Good meal replacement. you could get some down right sugary ones if you wanted.

agave/maple syrup all the things!