Should I get a heart rate monitor?

Options
So I've recently gotten a fitbit Flex and it has motivated me to maybe start doing some cardio outside of my occasional mile-long walk. I have been pretty much sedentary for the past year due to some health complications. I'm thinking of buying this heart rate monitor: http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Purple/dp/B005M1P85O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1428633740&sr=8-2&keywords=heart+rate+monitor
So that I can get a more accurate estimate of the calories I've burned walking (hopefully more strenuous exercise in the future if I can work up to it). I also would like to know my resting heart rate because I know it's higher than it should be. Would it be worth it for me to buy this HRM and if not this one specifically, is there another model that would be better?

Replies

• Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I would say no. A heart rate monitor is good if you are moving from the fitness stage and into the performance stage. I used to use one but no longer. However, if you have the money and love toys or "gear" then by all means purchase one :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ... I can get a more accurate estimate of the calories I've burned walking (hopefully more strenuous exercise in the future if I can work up to it).

I wouldn't bother, your HR whilst walking shouldn't be high enough that it becomes a meaningful indicator of calories expended.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Curt911 wrote: »
    I would say no. A heart rate monitor is good if you are moving from the fitness stage and into the performance stage. I used to use one but no longer. However, if you have the money and love toys or "gear" then by all means purchase one :)

I own 2 polar heart rate monitors and both have dead batteries sitting in a desk drawer. Sure, I can replace the batteries, I'm not training for any cycling events. Save your money right now and continue to concentrate on healthy eating.
  • LKMatlock
    Options
    My husband and I have the Fitbit Charge HR.......He's always been very active, me?? not until lately as I'm trying to lose weight. I've enjoyed the HR, it has definitely shown me a difference from purchase to now......I'm glad I have it.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I have that exact HRM and love it, but I dont wear it for walking, only more heavy working out /cardio activity. I find it easy to use. I also do not eat back any exercise calories so for me personally, it doesn't matter how accurate it is. I just like knowing the number it says.