Tips for motivating spouse needed

Options
2»

Replies

• mariannehgv
    mariannehgv Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If your husband wants to cook and decides on an unhealthy option, you can offer to be "sous-chef" and be responsible for part of the meal. For instance, you can make a healthy starter such as a filling vegetable soup that has to be eaten before the meal. If you make sure he fills up before dinner on vegetables and water, he may eat a bit less of the unhealthy stuff.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    xMrBunglex wrote: »
    Just lead by example. Once you start losing the weight he'll realize he's the fat guy with the skinny wife...and nothing motivates like fear!

Somebody flagged this? Ha, "dread game" is serious business.

• crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Knowing your partner and how they succeed at something matters. My husband and I have tried moderation for months, and he hasn't lost a pound. So right now we're cutting out eating out, sweets, and alcohol for 2 weeks. When I proposed it to him, he sounded RELIEVED - the "how much" part of moderation is something he struggles with, so he feels like he can have more success with cutting things out entirely. It's been easy so far because we're not tempting each other by having something the other person wants but can't fit in their calories. He's feeling accomplished and on track. Once we get to the end of 2 weeks, I'll probably slowly introduce "allowed" portions of alcohol, dessert, and higher-cal meals out until he feels in control of it. I subscribe to IIFYM and moderation and have been very successful, but not everyone handles that well or finds tracking calories an easy process. On the flip side, if your success has been coming from an exclusion diet, your partner might be struggling with missing foods they love. If your success has been coming from a lot of exercise, your partner might need a bigger emphasis on diet. Ultimately it's up to them, but playing to their strengths and comfort zone might help get them started. As the more successful partner, you sometimes have to do their thing instead of yours if you want to encourage them.
  • Rocketqueeen
    Rocketqueeen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Man, I feel your pain! Haha. Since my boyfriend has moved in with me about 2 years ago, the weight has slowly been creeping up. In my case, I am still active with my workouts and try for the most part to make healthy choices with food when I am out. Although the scale doesn't really reflect that much of a gain (about 8 pounds) I have lost a lot of muscle tone in my abs and my thighs (the worst area for me). He has gained about 30 pounds because he refuses to work out stating its just not for him. It sucks because, although I think he is still so beautiful, he gets down on himself because he can't fit into a lot of his clothes. I have virtually no will power when it comes to eating junk food and thats pretty much all he likes. He does eat salads but thats where the healthy eating stops. He cooks dinner with so much fat and cheese and comes home from the grocery store with an assortment of chips. I'm at the point now where I am just gonna have to choose my dinner options for myself. that kind of sucks because we enjoy our nightly meal together. Its really the only time we get together during the week.
  • wennim
    wennim Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    robw235 wrote: »
    I did a search for a discussion thread like this one and was glad to have found it. I've been using MFP since the start of 2015 and have had some good success, to the point where I'm now about 27 lbs. below where I started. My wife wants to lose weight (and has significantly more to lose than I do) sees the progress I've been making, knows that this is working for me, yet she will not track calories. Compounding the problem, a current medical problem is making it hard for her to walk regularly for any length of time. She's frustrated, feeling like she's eating healthier (I do most of the cooking) and having smaller portions, but when she looks at how much she has to lose, it seems impossible to her. I've been supportive, encouraging and am only concerned about the long-term health consequences of her being over weight. I even offered to set up an account for her on here and track the calories for her. She wasn't interested. So, this is a long way of saying that I could use some suggestions on how to get her motivated to make the changes necessary to finally start losing weight and getting healthier as we approach our retirement years.

This was very similar to my husband's and my situation in Jan 2014. He started being more active, counting calories and losing weight. I had a significant injury that prevented me from doing much exercise. He did a lot of pushing and trying to force the lifestyle on me and I would try for a bit then get frustrated because it wasn't working as well for me since it seemed like I had so much to lose and I wasn't losing at the rate he was. I was depressed to begin with due to the injury and then it was compounded by feeling like I was letting my husband down. I was afraid I was going to fail and then he would be disappointed. I knew he loved me the way I was so why set get my hopes up only to fail?

I spent quite a bit of time feeling sorry for myself. Eventually my husband backed off a little and did his own thing and at that time I was finally healed enough to gradually increase my movement but the big number just seemed so daunting that I figured I would never make it so why try. My husband and I came to a mutual agreement that if I tried the calorie counting thing for one month or 10 lbs loss whichever came first that he wouldn't mention it again. I wasn't thrilled by it but if it got him off my back I was willing to do it. I didn't do so great at first but following his meal choices (unfortunately he can still eat a ton more than me and still lose weight) I was able to get the calories in line with where they should be. I lost the ten lbs in 3 weeks. After I lost the 10 lbs I realized that it wasn't that bad and maybe another 10 lbs was doable. I never looked beyond that 10 lbs. I set small goals. Even 10 lbs lost made me healthier than 0 lbs lost. I love to read so one day when I was bored I discovered the message boards here and started reading the success stories. Seeing all these stories of people who have lost so much kind of kept me going at times. At almost 120 lbs lost I am still a work in progress but I still never look beyond the next 5 or 10 lbs.

Maybe help by breaking it down into smaller bits for her? Ask her to spend just a half hour reading the motivation or the success story board on here. Honestly though if she is not willing you can't make her. It sounds like you have been encouraging but we were at a point where it was the only thing my husband wanted to talk about. Make sure you find ways to make her feel special and not have everything revolve around her weight. It sounds to me like she might be dealing with a feeling of helplessness due to the medical condition limiting her mobility. Maybe try to see if there is some form or exercise that she can do even if it is for just a few minutes at a time. Good luck and hopefully you both become more healthy and have a good long solid life together.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Same issues here. My SO sees me losing weight, going out there and working out despite feeling sore or rain or cold, logging my meals, getting toned, getting compliments and even flirted with and he gives me the "You're just gonna leave me anyways" sob story or the "WOW, you really make me want to work out" both as he sits on his bum and snacks away and drinks soda.

Now, he says he wants a FitBit... my snap response was "Why?". He said that maybe the physical reminder would help him to get up and get moving. I wanted to say that his 350+ weight should be the physical reminder but I didn't.

The point is that HE has to WANT to do it and no matter what I do, how I try to be a good example, as much as I try to lead by example, encourage, beg, or what gadget or internet thing there is HE has to be the one to want it and there is nothing I can do. HE needs his moment that we've all had where we go "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!! TIME FOR ME AND SOME REAL CHANGE!!"

Until then, we can only be supportive and focused on ourselves.
  • Myweightlossdiary
    Myweightlossdiary Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend was in the same boat when I decided to get on the band wagon to lose weight. I'm more overweight than he is and he also has a physical laborious job. However, I get highly motivated by those around me and he soon realized that quickly after we both joined a local gym within walking distance only to find out we both came up with tons of excuses.

Now, we have a "walk to eat" thing we do every evening. As crazy as it sounds, we literally walk to the grocery store or a restaurant not too far away, get food, and walk back. Howbeit, I live in a city where there are tons of places everywhere, but we also live on a very hilly road so trust me, we're getting a workout. I have a pedometer and walk about 15K steps per day. Most of those will be from these walks. We use the grocery bags as weights for arm exercises on the way back. :smiley: Today will be day 9 of this and I've noticed both of us are making better choices. I'm very proud of him! It's also a nice way to build your relationship using the time to walk as a opportunity to talk about your day or whatever else is on your mind. We both have more energy as well. Our neighbors think we're crazy but I've already lost nearly 5 lbs and have about 97 more to go, so I don't care what they think. :smile:

If you live in a place that has places closeby (the longest we've walked is 3 miles but that's a long ways for a beginner), maybe suggest walking there? Another thing we do is if we need one or two items from a local store, we'll just walk there instead of wasting gas. Good luck! Once he sees you are motivated, maybe soon he'll jump onboard. For my boyfriend, his main thing was he worked too hard during the day and he didn't feel like exercising at the end of the day. But since we've been doing this, he's actually stronger and able to do some of the tasks that used to hurt him physically with minimal pain.