25 with 70lb to lose - will I get loose skin?

Options
I'm a bit worried about getting loose skin. I'm 25 with 70lb to lose although I'd be happy with 50lb - I'm just going to see what I look and feel like when I get there!!

I am going to the gym 3-4x a week and doing HIIT and strength training, and go cycling or walking on a weekend. I've lost about 1lb a week since I started about 8 weeks ago.

Replies

• aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I wondered about that although I'm nearly 10 years older so it'll be a different answer for me.
  • oremus1
    oremus1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    im 28 with 50lb (ideally) to lose, though i'd settle for 30.

what about me
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    There's no way to tell for certain. Since you are younger, your skin will have a bit more "bounce" to it, in terms of snapping back after. If you drop the 70lbs fast, there is a chance that you will get loose skin. But if you do so in a reasonable fashion, the risk for loose skin is a lot lower. Just make sure that you are losing at a rate in which your body can keep up with.
  • desidieter
    Options
    I agree that if you're losing at a reasonable pace, your skin will do better. Also, add strength training/weights to your regular exercise regime (if you don't already). This will help with muscle definition while you burn fat.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    @almost 42 and having lost almost 60lbs (it will be when I hit goal this time) I have yet to have any significant loose skin...and I have yo yo'd for 20 years...up and down from 165-205.

I have stretch marks from prenangy and growing fast as a teenager so my skin doesn't deal well with stress obviously

The only thing I notice is if I don't drink enough water it can wrinkle on my belly...but that's only if I don't drink enough water.

I think part of the key is to not lose it too fast....I have been doing this since January 2013.
  • rach072012
    Options
    It will be looser than it was- but not as loose as it would be if you waited 10 years to shed the pounds.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm 24, 5' 4", currently 123 lbs. I've been overweight since I was around 8 years old and my highest weight was 192 lbs when I was 15 -- between then and last September I've fluctuated between 135 and ~170. Even though I'm young, and have lost pretty much what your goal is (~70 lbs), I can tell I have l loose skin -- especially on my stomach. I carry most of my weight in my stomach so when I was heavier, most of it was there, causing it to be larger than other parts of my body... the skin is slightly wrinkly when I sit, and when I bend over I can definitely tell I have extra skin too, even though I still have a bit of fat in my stomach. Hopefully this doesn't happen to you 'cause it's SUCH a bummer!
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm also 25 and my goal is to loose double - 140lbs, getting near to halfway now!

It's something I've been wondering about, but from all the researching I've done it's basically impossible to know - it depends on the person. From what I gather losing slowly should help, and sometimes loose skin can tighten up over time, but it's basically down to genetics!
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 and have lost over 70lbs (pregnancy weight) and don't really have loose skin. It's more genetics though IME. I do A LOT of weight training though so I'm adding muscle (don't want to be "skinny fat" right?).
  • cindy26ae
    cindy26ae Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep doing your strength training, bc despite genetics and age, muscle is your go to for tighter skin. Of course though cardio is important for losing consistently as well. But building muscle is what anyone who wants to tighten up, should go for. Sounds like you are doing what you need to, just remember fat loss can come easier than muscle gain, hence your noticing the extra loose skin
  • hikunkel
    hikunkel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,

When I was 38, I lost over 80 pounds (after having two babies) and I did not feel I had that much loose skin. My arms and legs were good...my stomach was loose, but that didn't concern me. I felt that was, yes, from losing weight, but from having children, too. Plus, I wasn't exercising at the time. I can honestly say that between having a bit of a "pooch" on my belly or losing weight - I'd take the pooch any day!! Good luck!
  • lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You can never tell these things. It's like a pregnant woman asking if she'll get stretch marks. It depends on your genetics and how fast you lose it...or how fast you gain it if pregnant. :) I'm 26 and I've lost 40lbs so far. I have no loose skin so far. I have another 80lbs to go so we'll see. However when it comes to the stretch marks...HOLY HELL do I have stretch marks. And yes...I used lotion constantly. It looked like a bear mauled my stomach for almost five years! That's how dark they stayed! But luckily they've faded a lot since I started losing weight. They're now light pink and turning white!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm 36, lost 80 pounds, and I have what I guess is probably 2 pounds or more of loose skin and detached fat on my stomach, plus bat wings... I was obese for 10 years, overweight for 5 before that, and yes I did strength training while losing.... Totally depends on your genetics unfortunately.
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You can never tell these things. It's like a pregnant woman asking if she'll get stretch marks. It depends on your genetics and how fast you lose it...or how fast you gain it if pregnant. :) I'm 26 and I've lost 40lbs so far. I have no loose skin so far. I have another 80lbs to go so we'll see. However when it comes to the stretch marks...HOLY HELL do I have stretch marks. And yes...I used lotion constantly. It looked like a bear mauled my stomach for almost five years! That's how dark they stayed! But luckily they've faded a lot since I started losing weight. They're now light pink and turning white!

this is a great reply. After having my kids i have stretch marks but i really dont care thats a problem i can deal with later right now i want to be thin i want to healthy screw the stretch marks. I would say the same about the skin honestly do your weights and run and deal with the skin later.
  • crosswords5055
    Options
    I think it heavily depends on genetics and age. I'm 19 and I've lost over 32kg (70lb) in 6 months (dont have more than a couple kgs/ pounds to go now) and have been so extremely happy that I have had absolutely no loose skin anywhere and my body seemed to tighten itself as I got smaller. part of this will be age but I vigorously used bio oil around my stomach and thighs everyday at the beginning when I was loosing the most. Don't worry about it because you won't know until you have lost the weight but doing weight training helps a lot to keep everything tight. Good luck!
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    But in the end what would you prefer.

To have a bit of excess skin or a lot of excess fat.

• helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have lost and kept off 81lbs (19lbs lost in the last 3 months) and don't have any excess skin. My weight loss started when I was around 22, I'm 30 this year. Where this was because it came of slowly or is genetic I don't know :smile:
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I'm over 50, lost 100 pounds in less than a year, and I don't have loose skin. I also don't have brittle nails, my hair isn't falling out, my internal organs haven't shut down, and none of the other "you're losing too fast" bogeymen came to pass, either.

On the flip side, the 100 pounds was only about a third of my body weight, so that probably makes a difference.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I was 23 when I had my first child and I lost 60 pounds in 2 years and my skin snapped right back to normal.