Help me please?! Picky eaters coming over

Options
JanerZzz
JanerZzz Posts: 276
I am at a loss. A girlfriend and her family are coming over for lunch over the weekend and they are picky eaters....no seafood, no meat on bone, no spiciness and I want to keep it healthy...so I don't want to do burgers and hot dogs and pasta salad or mac and cheese casseroles......Her hubby is very much the meat and potatoes kind of guy...
so I need as American and "bland" and healthy? as possible..>I never eat like that...what do I make! HELP!

Replies

• GrampsWooha
    GrampsWooha Posts: 184
    Options
    bbq chicken breast on the grill of course !
  • sdirbder
    sdirbder Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    This is super easy and I think it taste pretty good. It is a packet of the itailian season, 1/2 cup of parmesean cheese. Mix that together ( I use a ziplock bag) Put in 4 (larger chicken breasts) and shake it up so that the breast are coated. Bake in the oven until done.
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Lean roast? Roasted chicken cut off the bone? Or do a mixed grill with veggies and different meats/seafood so you can have something for everyone.
  • llm12
    llm12 Posts: 49
    Options
    What if you made the burgers with lean ground turkey? Then you can have buns for the picky eaters and you could do yours lettuce wrapped. I have fed these to a mens softball team before and they had no idea it wasn't ground beef!
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I am at a loss. A girlfriend and her family are coming over for lunch over the weekend and they are picky eaters....no seafood, no meat on bone, no spiciness and I want to keep it healthy...so I don't want to do burgers and hot dogs and pasta salad or mac and cheese casseroles......Her hubby is very much the meat and potatoes kind of guy...
    so I need as American and "bland" and healthy? as possible..>I never eat like that...what do I make! HELP!

Wow...I didn't know I was coming over for lunch! Haha! That sounds exactly like me!!!

Safe foods for me:

Reuben sandwiches (rye bread,fat free thousand island, sauerkraut,reduced fat swiss cheese)
    Boneless, skinless chicken breast marinated in either Wishbone Italian or Soy Vai Island Teriyaki - then grilled or chopped in skillet
    Bubba reduced fat burgers (half the calories!)
    Fruit salad

Good luck!
  • tinacrane
    tinacrane Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Grilled vegetable and chicken kabobs with rice on the side pleases my meat and potato guy. I make beautiful long colorful kabobs that I marinate in fat free Italian dressing as they cook. You can even offer 2 meats and several choices of vegetables: kind of a do it yourself kabob bar! Include spicy sauce on the side for anyone who needs the jolt! Usually I also have plates of fresh cut up fruits, vegetables and cheese available as well-always a hit with all ages and tastes!
  • joj7bat
    joj7bat Posts: 30
    Options
    Bbq'd pork loin - just some galrlic powder or onion powder (or both) - then have sauces & salt and pepper on the table that people can add themselves. Mixed raw veggies are good too - with a greek yogurt dip (they don't need to know its greek yogurt instead of sour cream) and maybe make some baked white & sweet potatoes - people can pick which they want to eat then.
  • muzio
    muzio Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This recipe for chicken skewers is really good. Serve with a nice cool yogurt dip (or buy some tzatziki) and sweet potato fries and a greek village salad of tomatoes, cucumbers & feta with a simple oil & vinegar dressing.

Ingredients

Marinade
    1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1 tbsp liquid honey
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp each minced fresh oregano leaves and minced fresh mint leaves
    2 tsp balsamic vinegar
    2 tsp minced garlic
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 lbs/680 g), cut into one-inch chunks

Cucumber-Dill Sauce
    1 cup low-fat, plain yogurt
    1 cup peeled, seeded and diced English cucumber
    1 tbsp minced fresh dill or minced fresh mint leaves
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1/4 tsp each salt and freshly ground black pepper

4 12-inch metal skewers

1. Combine all marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Place chicken in a large, heavy-duty, resealable plastic bag. Add marinade and seal bag. Turn bag several times to coat chicken with marinade. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour (six hours is perfect).
    2. While chicken is marinating, prepare Cucumber-Dill Sauce. Combine all sauce ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. (Make sure you refrigerate the sauce for at least one hour.)
    3. Preheat grill to high setting. Thread chicken pieces onto metal skewers and discard marinade. Coat grill with cooking spray or brush lightly with oil. Grill chicken for eight to 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until no longer pink in the centre. do not overcook chicken, or it will be dry.
    4. Serve hot chicken with cool Cucumber-Dill Sauce. Tastes great with a greek salad and hummus with warm pita wedges.

Makes 4 servings.

You could also put other veggies on the skewers.

If you're wanting more of a casserole thing, this one is pretty basic but popular at my house: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/muzio/view/chicken-spinach-zucchini-casserole-91897 It's a chicken, spinach and zucchini casserole. Tastes way more indulgent than it actually is.
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    Thanks guys! Looks like I will be making some kind of skewers, I hope their 2 year old likes them :)
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Looks like I will be making some kind of skewers, I hope their 2 year old likes them :)

Find out what kind of veggies she does/doesn't like - I hate most of them, including tomatoes! I swear this pickiness borders on an ED!