Tone Please!

Options
On MFP, my weight goal is 105, however I'm beginning to add conditioning and strength training to my plan. I'm 5 foot nothing with a small waist and huge *kitten*, muscular thighs and weigh 115 currently. My goal is to tone my whole body and maybe build a bit in my arms. I don't want to gain a bunch of muscle weight, just want to look and feel good and in shape. What do you all recommend for getting toned without packing on muscle like a body builder?

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Tone is a marketing buzz word to replace " lower your body fat % "
    Muscles do not sag or lose their shape they simply get covered in fat and then you jiggle.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Increasing your cardiovascular health will increase your fitness and get you "in shape"
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm walking and walking and then walking some more! I'm hoping it will help the inner thigh jiggle???
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    you will never "accidentally" look like a body builder, it takes some pretty extreme dedication to training and nutrition. Not to say you couldn't do it, but as per above, weight training and losing fat via caloric deficit is the best thing you can do for your figure,
  • waldo11690
    waldo11690 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Weight training. There is no such thing as 'toning'. You lose fat and then firm up by building muscle.

This. Also, you won't look like a bodybuilder even lifting heavy. Women don't build muscle like men, but unfortunately it's a very common thought that women shouldn't lift b/c they will develop a bulky, manly figure.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    waldo11690 wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Weight training. There is no such thing as 'toning'. You lose fat and then firm up by building muscle.

This. Also, you won't look like a bodybuilder even lifting heavy. Women don't build muscle like men, but unfortunately it's a very common thought that women shouldn't lift b/c they will develop a bulky, manly figure.

+1

As a general rule, women only have 10% of the testosterone that men have. It is VERY hard to get big and bulky. I've been training with a (big and bulky) bodybuilder for over a year now. He has me doing things that most of the women in the gym wouldn't dream of doing, that make the guys do a double take....and I am not bulky.
  • tribbygirl
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I'm walking and walking and then walking some more! I'm hoping it will help the inner thigh jiggle???

Also trying to get rid of "thigh jiggle". I walk a lot, also, but don't think it helps much with that. I think we need to concentrate more on weight training. I do that, but I guess I need to do more.

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    tribbygirl wrote: »
    On MFP, my weight goal is 105, however I'm beginning to add conditioning and strength training to my plan. I'm 5 foot nothing with a small waist and huge *kitten*, muscular thighs and weigh 115 currently. My goal is to tone my whole body and maybe build a bit in my arms. I don't want to gain a bunch of muscle weight, just want to look and feel good and in shape. What do you all recommend for getting toned without packing on muscle like a body builder?

You can't pack on muscle like a body builder. Unless you take testosterone.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Steroids and testosterone injections will get you a lot of muscles...LOL

You will not bulk up lifting weights. If you have some fat to loose, start lifting weights (now) and throw in some cardio or even HIIT. Forgive the guy that was blatantly stopping the word tone.. We know what you mean and trust me (because I am doing it now) it works.

I am old broad (LOL) and I have muscles showing through.. fat layers are shedding. Hell I just thought I had fat over my bones holding me together LOL...

You need to do some research on beginners you can start this at home and change your goals as you go depending on what you want to achieve. And getting that goal together is where you start..
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'0" as well, currently weigh 108 lbs. I started weight/strength training (while still running 3 days a week) almost a month ago and I'm seeing some pretty nice results. Like the others have said, if you lift (no matter how heavy) you're not going to look like those body builder types unless you make some serious changes to your lifestyle.

Add me if you like.
  • saramatthews919
    saramatthews919 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Kettle bell workouts are good for toning & building strength in your arms
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Also trying to get rid of "thigh jiggle". I walk a lot, also, but don't think it helps much with that. I think we need to concentrate more on weight training. I do that, but I guess I need to do more.

Going to the gym will be my last resort... What about strapping on those leg weights when walking?? Surely that would make a difference?
    I'm also averaging around 15k a day (9-10 miles), I'm really hoping it's not all for nothing :/