has anyone seen the commercials about this new natural sweetener, "Truvia?"
    it's seems like it's lacking aspartame, after looking at the ingredients

here's the link to their website
    www.truvia.com

...thoughts?
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've never seen the commercials, but found it on my own on the store shelf a few months ago. I love it! One ingredient is erythritol, a natural sugar alcohol occuring naturally in fruit and fermented foods. It is almost non-caloric, does not affect blood sugar, and does not cause tooth decay. Rebiana is stevia, a leafy plant that is 30-40 times sweeter than sugar.

I use it in my coffee every morning, having switched to it from Splenda because I really want to get away from artificial sweeteners.

I would recommend trying it!
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    I just recently heard about that product, but I haven't tried it yet. One day I was listening to the Jillian Michaels radio show, and she thought it was the best option for a sweetener. I love using Splenda because it doesn't have the weird flavor like sweet and low or equal. Does the Truvia have a weird taste, or does it blend smoothly like Splenda? I would really like to try to get away from the artificial sweeteners too.

108855.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I found this on a shelf in my grocery store last week and picked it up. I'm in love with it. I was wondering about replacing sugar with this in recipes. Has anyone tried this yet?
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    If you want TRUE all natural, Go with all natural Stevia. that you find in the HEALTH FOOD section of your store. Truvia is made with corn syrup, (They say it helps it desolve better.)and if you are alergic to corn syrup like I am, you are going to have an upset tummy.
    Truvia is over processed. and I wonder if it is no better then the Pink Stuff the Yellow stuff or the blue stuff. It is only part natural stivia.
    I guess we will find out in the days/weeks/months ahead.
    Yes I am also aware that Natural Stevia is not cheap. But I think it is better for ME.
    It is all a matter of label reading.
    --Diann...
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    ITruvia is made with corn syrup

Where did you find this? I looked on the website and online and found nothing about corn syrup.
  • panedipascua
    Options
    I just picked up a pack from the grocery and use it in my evening teapot - 1 packet to about 4 cups of herbal tea... it tastes like dessert to me - and it doesn't increase my appetite.
  • purplepanda
    purplepanda Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I got a couple free packets of Truvia in the mail, I tried one but it had a weird tast to me. I've given the other packet to my Mom because she wants to try it (I haven't told her about the tast yet because I want her to have an open mind but I'm letting you all know that the taste might be off so you are aware before buying any
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    How expensive is Strevia or however you spell it. I need something sweet for my hot tea and stuff.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I use xylitol which is an all natural sweetner that is metabolized independently of insulin. I love it and can bake with it too. It is quite pricey though. I tried Stevia and it is great in tea because tea already has a green taste but I couldn't stand it in my coffee. Xylitol has no after taste. I order xylitol from Emerald Forest and they have free shipping so it's not bad. They also have gum and mints pretty cheap and if you like coffee beans they have a coffee candy that tastes like ground coffee beans because it is. Yummy!
    Amy

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    How expensive is Strevia or however you spell it. I need something sweet for my hot tea and stuff.

Stevia can be bought in small plastic bottles for $5-$7 and goes a long way. The Pure stevia is a lot more but honestly I don't see a big difference so I buy the powder from Trader Joe's in the bottle. Most grocery stores carry that form now on the top shelf of the sugar aisle with the artificial sweetners. I even saw it in Wal-mart the other day.

To answer another question Stevia does not bake well in my opinion.

Amy

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Stevia tastes like licorice to me, and screws up my coffee.

I've used ZeroOrganic (an erythritol brand) in baking and it works well. I'll try some muffins I made last night to see if I get that infamous day-after cooling effect!