It's Impossible!????

Options
I've come to the realization that you can't exactly build muscle/strength at the same time that you are losing weight. So how does it work? I know that you "bulk" to build up, which is what I have done (somewhat) but now I'm ready to shred some fat.

I have been in a caloric deficit for a couple of weeks consistently now and I think my strength is already starting to suffer. But for my personal goals, I want to lose weight and then maintain for a long time. (Not bulk/cut cycles).

So I guess what I want to know is, when I get to my desired weight, will I be able to start eating more and building strength? Clearly size has nothing to do with it because they're plenty of people who are much smaller than me and also much stronger. I just want to be strong!

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    You can keep your strength up and even improve it while losing weight, the only thing you can't do is build muscle. I struggled with that concept as well but it's about challenging your existing muscles so they work more efficiently and fire more quickly.

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/10-ways-build-strength-without-size
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    When you get to your desired weight you can eat at maintenance. Which would be higher than your deficit. I'm not trying to lose weight, but to do a slow recomp, so I eat at maintenance and lift.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,348 Member
    Options
    Strength gains can be about muscle size plus about intelligent training. I gained strength as I lost weight by training smarter, it can be done.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If you’re having noticeable strength loss in two weeks of eating at a deficit, one of two things is happening:
    1) You aren’t getting enough carbs to fuel your workout, which is really an endurance vs strength thing.
    2) You aren’t getting enough protein to properly rebuild after you lift. Even though you likely won’t put on much if any mass, you still need protein to recovery from the lifting you do.

I’d tweak my macros a bit and consider nutrient timing to ensure you had enough energy to power through a heavy lifting session and then protein to recover. I find looking at macros and calories over a week (rather than a day) makes this easier to manage.
  • mrsf15h
    mrsf15h Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Strengh training is important as when you lose weight you can lose muscle. So by keeping your strength topped up, it would be just fat you lose not precious muscle. :) keep it up you'll thank yourself one day!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You can most certainly gain strength while eating at a deficit. You can even build a little muscle at first.

I've been lifting since last May and have doubled, or more, the weight on every one of my lifts so I'm definitely getting stronger. I'm eating just below maintenance and haven't lost much weight but there's muscle definition where there used to be none and I'm definitely smaller than I was this time last year.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Like others said strength can be gained while eating a deficit. If you aren't seeing strength gains, I'd first look to the program you are following, then to the magnitude of the calorie deficit. If you are eating at too large a deficit that could hinder your workout
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How long have you been lifting? I started last July and was fine eating in a bigger deficit but now, 9 months in, I have found that I can only eat at a small deficit before I start losing strength. By small, I mean 200-300 calories per day. Anything over that and my lower body strength plateaus/teeters on declining, and my upper body does decline. It's most noticeable in my bench press. It's a trade-off now--long slow losing and keep strength vs. get the fat off pronto and get weaker.
  • marshallpotter1
    marshallpotter1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Strength is more a matter of genetics, than it is a matter of food. If you have the genetics, you don't need the best nutrition to get strong or muscular. If you have average to poor genetics (as most people do), try carb cycling. When you do, cut your workout length down to 30 mins or less- lifting heavy weights (you won't have the energy for a 60 min weight training session, trust me). Your body will grow, but you will also burn fat. I've been doing it for 6 months, and love the results!
  • rwethington654
    rwethington654 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you’re having noticeable strength loss in two weeks of eating at a deficit, one of two things is happening:
    1) You aren’t getting enough carbs to fuel your workout, which is really an endurance vs strength thing.
    2) You aren’t getting enough protein to properly rebuild after you lift. Even though you likely won’t put on much if any mass, you still need protein to recovery from the lifting you do.

I’d tweak my macros a bit and consider nutrient timing to ensure you had enough energy to power through a heavy lifting session and then protein to recover. I find looking at macros and calories over a week (rather than a day) makes this easier to manage.

This definitely could be the case! I get enough carbs but I know I don't get enough protein. It's really, really low. But I'm in college and I find it difficult because they don't always have the best protein sources available. For example, they may have chicken nuggets, which would have decent protein but it's obviously not very good for the body. So I go for salad with a bit of egg and chickpeas as my only real protein sources. Any tips??
  • rwethington654
    Options
    Strength is more a matter of genetics, than it is a matter of food. If you have the genetics, you don't need the best nutrition to get strong or muscular. If you have average to poor genetics (as most people do), try carb cycling. When you do, cut your workout length down to 30 mins or less- lifting heavy weights (you won't have the energy for a 60 min weight training session, trust me). Your body will grow, but you will also burn fat. I've been doing it for 6 months, and love the results!

Thanks for the info and tips! I may try this because I believe my body would respond well to carb-cycling. Based on experiences with higher carbs one day actually fueling a better workout and feeling leaner
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

This definitely could be the case! I get enough carbs but I know I don't get enough protein. It's really, really low. But I'm in college and I find it difficult because they don't always have the best protein sources available. For example, they may have chicken nuggets, which would have decent protein but it's obviously not very good for the body. So I go for salad with a bit of egg and chickpeas as my only real protein sources. Any tips??

So what is worse for you - a poor protein source or not enough protein? But also they must have more than chicken nuggets on the menu!

Don't cut your calories too much - I'm surprised you are losing strength so quickly. You say you want to maintain and not do bulk/cut cycles so use this weight loss phase as practice for maintenance, ease into it, it's not a race.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

There's really nothing wrong with chicken nuggets. Don't demonize foods just because they might be sold in a fast food place. I make my own at home that are just as "healthy" as anything else. Peel off some of the breading if it bothers you but you're better off with them as a protein source than nothing at all. One of my go-to lunches in the work cafeteria is a 1/3 pound hamburger patty (or ground turkey patty) with a slice of cheese and no bun. I pile it high with lettuce, tomatoes, etc. and eat it with a fork and knife.

Another option would be to buy yourself some protein powder or protein bars and carry them around with you. I have a great little shaker bottle that I'll measure the powder into and then carry around with me until I'm ready to drink it. Then I find some water, shake it up and drink.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

I carry protein with me. And while I always lean toward real food, you might be a
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    i would go on a cut and lean out keep protein 1.2 gram protein per lb. I would lift heavy weight moderate reps 6-10 reps keeping strength and keeping in the hyperthrophy range.
    Wjen you lean out you will look more toned
  • rwethington654
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

So what is worse for you - a poor protein source or not enough protein? But also they must have more than chicken nuggets on the menu!

Don't cut your calories too much - I'm surprised you are losing strength so quickly. You say you want to maintain and not do bulk/cut cycles so use this weight loss phase as practice for maintenance, ease into it, it's not a race.

Haha yes, definitely! That was just the first thing that came to mind. And sometimes they have healthy options and I definitely jump on those opportunities.

But I'm afraid this could be the problem. Because when I decide to drop, I drop quickly. I honestly think I should stop at 1000 calories. But I know it's not good so I atleast eat 1200. Although there usually is one day in the week that I went probably too much. Anyhow, thanks for the advice! I'll keep pushing!
  • rwethington654
    Options
    Yeah, in
    SueInAz wrote: »

There's really nothing wrong with chicken nuggets. Don't demonize foods just because they might be sold in a fast food place. I make my own at home that are just as "healthy" as anything else. Peel off some of the breading if it bothers you but you're better off with them as a protein source than nothing at all. One of my go-to lunches in the work cafeteria is a 1/3 pound hamburger patty (or ground turkey patty) with a slice of cheese and no bun. I pile it high with lettuce, tomatoes, etc. and eat it with a fork and knife.

Another option would be to buy yourself some protein powder or protein bars and carry them around with you. I have a great little shaker bottle that I'll measure the powder into and then carry around with me until I'm ready to drink it. Then I find some water, shake it up and drink.

Yeah, I understand that. I just meant that these obviously aren't healthy. But I guess it would be better to have protein than to not. They often have fried protein sources and maybe I should stop worrying so much about it and get my protein in for now. And I'll get in my real sources when I can. Thanks for tha advice! Much appreciated!