How to choose the right bicycle?

Options
Hello! I want to start riding a bike but aside from the hand me downs we had as kids I have never owned a bicycle. I have 3 kids 2 of which I would have to pull in a cart. I was just curious what the best bike would be? I can't spend a lot of money but I can look on craigslist and ebay as well. I just don't know where to start or what to look for at this point. Any help/advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I think it probably depends on where you plan on riding. I just bought 2 'City' bikes....no gears just like the ones we had as kids lol. (and baskets :) )
    Good luck on your decision, post back and let us know what you decided.
  • HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think there are a few options and a lot of questions. How old are your kids? Do they need to be pulled or can they ride on the bike? I see a lot of modified bikes with "baskets" that hold kids on the bike (both front and back...they kinda look like a delivery bike), then you have all the tow trailers that are on the market for 1 or 2 kids (craigslist is a great place to look for that). Do you plan to just hit flat bike trails, the road? around town? long weekend rides?

Hit up your local bike store, many have rental services and I'd try some options out. You don't need to buy from them, they are also a really good resource for what's out there in your town. Serious cyclists are loyal to their store, if they know who is upgrading or selling, they may share that with you or keep their eyes open. It helps them to help you, because you'll return again and again for their services.

towing 2 kids is tough. towing 1 kid is tough. I will tell you get a helmet for yourself and your kids, new. I shouldn't be surprised, but was, when I shelled out $70 for my kid's helmet just the other day, but I think they can be had for cheaper at a X-mart type store (I wouldn't get my bike from there, with the exception of an REI type of larger retailer). Mine is used for racing, so defo in a different price range.

a "cargo" bike: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=cargo+cycle&view=detailv2&&&id=D38D9EADC09EA108E06F1C1AE9C49D5BF6F25979&selectedIndex=52&ccid=jvjBrj1v&simid=607989914473204175&thid=HN.607989914473204175&ajaxhist=0
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    A ~10 year old brand name mointain bike or other flat bar bike with a trailer will probably work. Trek, Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, etc for about $100-$200. Need more details. In the mean time.

http://bikeportland.org/2012/06/28/with-six-kids-and-no-car-this-mom-does-it-all-by-bike-73731
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I would recommend going to a bike store and having a conversation with them...they will go over what kind of riding you intend to do, etc. My guess would be that a hybrid bike is likely in your future if you are just looking to ride for general recreation and not planning on doing any kind of cycling events and what not.

I would also recommend staying away from places like Wal-Mart and such and purchase a "real" bike...you will spend a bit more, but it is worth it...riding a nice bicycle is a completely different and far more enjoyable experience than riding a cheap bike. I would look to spend around $500 for a good, but entry level hybrid bike. If you don't have the money right off, I would highly recommend saving up a bit...like I said, it's night and day riding a good quality bike vs a cheap bike. When I got back into things, I bought a cheapo and ended up not riding it a whole lot because I simply didn't enjoy the experience...I upgraded to a nice, but entry level Giant CX bike and now I ride a good 60-80 miles per week and love every second of it. A nice bike makes a world of difference.

You could probably find some deals on CraigsList, but just be careful that you know what you're actually buying.
  • jlbrown1985
    jlbrown1985 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your responses! I plan on riding on paved roads around town and on the hwy by my house. I'm not going to do any kind of cycling events or anything like that and I don't plan on going on any long bike rides (especially right off the bat) but my 9 year old can ride a bike and I'd like to be able to ride with her. That means I need to figure out how to take the other two a long. They are 1 and 3. I saw some "ride-on" options and wondered how comfortable that would be for them?
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    For two kids, you pretty much have to with a trailer. I have this cheap one:

http://www.amazon.com/InStep-Take-Double-Bicycle-Trailer/dp/B002QAVQ14/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1428685932&sr=8-2&keywords=bike+trailer+for+children

I would have liked to get something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Weehoo-Along-Child-Bicycle-Trailer/dp/B00S72SX9I/ref=sr_1_70?ie=UTF8&qid=1428686018&sr=8-70&keywords=bike+trailer+for+children

but it too expensive for how much I use it.

The one problem is that the trailer has a weight limit for each child at 40 lbs. My daughter is now 45 lbs and we still use it, but the straps are getting snug.

What is your price range?

• SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Definitely look for a good local bike shop.

Mine (which is also where my kid brother works) will rent a wide variety of hybrid cruising bikes and tow trailers, so you can find one the kids enjoy. It took a few rides for him to adapt, but my nephew is happy as a clam in his now.
    Even if you're only doing short and casual rides, it's worth it to have a professional who knows what they're doing fit you and the kids to a quality bike. I just had my road bike refitted and the tiniest changes made a HUGE difference in my comfort.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It depends on your budget. I have a Yuba Boda Boda. Definitely the best way to pick one kid up from school, groceries, and commute to work. The Yuba Mundo which will hold two kids is one heck of a big bike though. About 75 lbs worth. The Boda Boda is about 55 lbs when all the accessories are added.

I would suggest the xtracyle edge runner if you are looking at a cargo bike, http://www.xtracycle.com/edgerunner-cargo-bike/ or

If your budget is small, a mountain bike/hybrid with a trailer will work. Test ride a number of bikes at the bike shops and then look on Craigslist for those brands.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I have a Gary Fischer hybrid that I haul a Burley trailer with. They work well together and it sounds like it would be a good set up for you. The trailer is nice bc you can store gear/snacks in it and can also use it as a double stroller. Check craigslist!