Charge HR users advice ease

Options
Hi I have a charge HR and I love it but since I got it I haven't been working out very much for many reasons. Today I went for a run. I use the TDEE method of calorie counting so I entered my exercise as 1 calorie as instructed the fitbit then removed a load of calories and my calorie burn is less than if I didn't do the run. I also logged my walk with the dog which I don't usually do and it removed those calories too. I am going to continue using TDEE so am I better to just unlink my fitbit from MFP and manually add my workouts as 1 calorie. I am in a challenge group so need my minutes of exercise to show on my feed. Hope my ramblings make sense.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The problem is you logged the workouts instead of letting Fitbit track it.

When you log a workout thru MFP, MFP is careful not to double up. So it has you put in the time start/end. Say you ran from 1pm-1:30pm and Fitbit showed you at 250 calories for that duration. When you log 1pm-1:30 running/1 calorie: MFP will count the logged activity for that time and IGNORE the Fitbit.

There is a way around this - use the activity function on your Fitbit so you can know how many calories you burned in the run/walk. Then instead of entering as 1 calorie, enter the actual.

Note: Fitbit & MFP sync is two-way. Meaning Fitbit will update to the 1 calorie for that time period as well, because its what you entered in MFP.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    When you log a workout thru MFP, MFP is careful not to double up. So it has you put in the time start/end. Say you ran from 1pm-1:30pm and Fitbit showed you at 250 calories for that duration. When you log 1pm-1:30 running/1 calorie: MFP will count the logged activity for that time and IGNORE the Fitbit.

There is a way around this - use the activity function on your Fitbit so you can know how many calories you burned in the run/walk. Then instead of entering as 1 calorie, enter the actual.

Note: Fitbit & MFP sync is two-way. Meaning Fitbit will update to the 1 calorie for that time period as well, because its what you entered in MFP.

I made the same mistake when I first got mine. I was really mad when it "lost" a 400+ calorie burn!

Now I don't log any exercise on MFP, I just let the fitbit do it's thing. I type what my exercise was and how long in the food notes on MFP, just for my own information.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »

I made the same mistake when I first got mine. I was really mad when it "lost" a 400+ calorie burn!

Now I don't log any exercise on MFP, I just let the fitbit do it's thing. I type what my exercise was and how long in the food notes on MFP, just for my own information.

Exactly, what both of these ladies said. ^ Your activity logged into fitbit will show up on MFP as a calorie adjustment.
  • jessjess210
    jessjess210 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone saying to let the Fitbit do its thing. I got mine about 2 months ago. I have my MFP set to lightly active and lose 1/2 lb a week. Same on Fitbit. And I've allowed negative calories adjustment on MFP. I stopped logging on MFP. After two months I can see that it's working pretty well. The Charge calculates my TDEE very close to most calculators I've used online. If I'm hungry I'll eat back all my calories. If not I'll just leave whatever I feel like leaving...and sometimes get hungry around 11 so end up eating them anyways :)
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posts. But wanted to add, if you let the Fitbit do its thing, but still want "credit" on your wall, just add a status stating what you burned and what exercises you did.