I gained 6 Pounds WTF

Options
I have been diligent for more than two months wavering here and there but overall losing weight. I lost 20 pounds. My birthday came and I took a 3 days break and I gained 6 pounds. I definitely was not outrageous and even when I wasn't working out and exercising I would never gain that much weight that quickly. I expected weight gain but honestly that type of weight gain kind of crushes my spirit a little bit. I don't know how to remotivate myself

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    It's just water weight. It'll be gone in a few days.

Unless you ate an extra 21,000 calories, of course.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I tend to gain 4-5 pounds between Monday morning and Tuesday morning even eating at 1000 calorie deficit and walking six miles at a decent pace. The only thing that's different in my routine is that I lifted weights between those two weigh-ins.

Even with a weight-loss trend that's sharply down, there will be days when your weight goes up enough to make you want to toss the scale. Maybe try not weighing as often or only looking at, say, a weekly average.

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Remotivate yourself by getting right back on track...do what you were doing the previous months when you lost the 20 lbs and watch the scale move back quickly!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    At least part of that gain is water weight. Were you logging during your break? If not, that's OK - but it means you won't know how much extra you ate.

Give it a week or so of being back on track and a good portion, if not all, of that weight should come back off.

~Lyssa
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    It's water from the increase of calories, which causes glycogen replenishment.

Give it time and it will come off.

Also something to consider, whenever I ovulated or my period was due I'd temporarily gain weight. It could be a combination of one of those plus the glycogen. It's not unheard of.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It's just water weight. It'll be gone in a few days.

Unless you ate an extra 21,000 calories, of course.

This-it's pretty much physically impossible for you to have gained that much weight, in that little amount of time. It's not real weight gain.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Probably at least half of that is water retention. Give it a week.
  • lilithx88
    Options
    derishaig wrote: »
    I took a 3 days break and I gained 6 pounds. I definitely was not outrageous and even when I wasn't working out and exercising I would never gain that much weight that quickly. I expected weight gain but honestly that type of weight gain kind of crushes my spirit a little bit.

I've been staying with relatives for the last week after losing a loved one, I hopped on the scale after 8 days, and I'm reading about 7lbs heavier. Some of that is definitely diet, as I am not preparing my own meals. But there isn't much more than half an inch difference in waist line.
    Try to remember a scale isn't always accurate. A lot of it could be bloating, now that you're aware, just keep a closer eye on the salt and sugar contents. I rarely drink anything but water at home, but with friends and family you may find yourself filling up on empty calories.

I wouldn't worry too much!