sugars from fruit?

Options
ive recently started dieting and found that using this app it shows that im always eating over the amount of sugar , but its all from fruit or veg ( mainly fruit) does anyone know if this will still affect weight loss even if im eating the right amount of calories but too much sugar from fruit?? please help. thanks.

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    It is total calories in, and calories out....I don't think too many people get overweight from eating too many apples. (unless they are baked into a pie!)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Sugar, any sugar doesn't effect weight loss unless you have a medical condition, so don't worry about it.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    That sugar number is incredibly low for most of us. Not sure if it's still based off the recommended amount of grams of added sugar or not? It used to be. That would be sugars from sweets and such. But MFP can't tell the difference between sugar from fruit and sugar in other things.

It's only an issue if you personally want to cut back on the sugars from sweets - for me, I try to cut back some since it seems to help keep my skin clearer.

If you want, just track some other macronutrient instead of sugar. I track fiber now :)

~Lyssa
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    That sugar number is incredibly low for most of us. Not sure if it's still based off the recommended amount of grams of added sugar or not?

it is the total grams of all sugars, at 15% of calorie intake, as explained in the MFP blog about a year ago. Another guideline is 90g/day of all sugars.

These are population guidelines and many people eat less than one piece of fruit per day, so someone eating 10 servings of fruit will see them as low.
  • macgurlnet
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    That sugar number is incredibly low for most of us. Not sure if it's still based off the recommended amount of grams of added sugar or not?

it is the total grams of all sugars, at 15% of calorie intake, as explained in the MFP blog about a year ago. Another guideline is 90g/day of all sugars.

These are population guidelines and many people eat less than one piece of fruit per day, so someone eating 10 servings of fruit will see them as low.

Thank you for the clarification :)

~Lyssa
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

The other issue is that lots of people here are at low calorie goal levels and it's a percentage.

90 grams of sugar is 15% of 2400 calories.

15% of 1200 calories is, of course, 45 grams.

I hit 44 yesterday (at many more calories, granted) with sugar mainly from cabbage (7), carrots (5), the veggies and (probably) hot sauce in my chicken quinoa bowl (4), Fage 2% plain yogurt (5), asparagus (3 over two meals), and an apple (a whopping 15). The rest came from miscellaneous other veggies plus 1 gram from a protein bar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Anyway, OP, no, barring a health condition or difficulty meeting your calorie goal, eating fruit (or other sources of sugar), even if it kicks you over the MFP sugar goal, won't matter for weight loss. The MFP goals (other than calories) aren't about weight loss, but really a very rough guide to help you get a balanced diet or at least give you some sense of how you are doing. I watch my sugar from time to time to see if there's anything surprising (there never is), but my feeling is that if you know your sugar is mostly fruits and veggies (or dairy) and you aren't eating lots of lower nutrient high calorie sugary things (not none, just not an excessive amount), then sugar is probably not preventing you from getting a balanced diet.

Another way to look at it is that sugar is a carb and that if you are getting adequate protein and fat along with those carbs and enough fiber (indicating that you are getting a good amount of fruits, veggies, and whole grains or legumes as part of your carbs), then your diet is pretty balanced. So I think for many people it makes sense to switch sugar with fiber and monitor fiber plus the macronutrients (fat, protein, and carbs).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that requires you to look at sugar, then don't worry about it. I changed mine to track fiber.
  • michellenewton1502
    michellenewton1502 Posts: 10 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    thanks for all the advice was very helpful ,was worried id have to give up fruit aswell ,as I have a sweet tooth its the only thing that stops me craving sweets ect. I don't think I could stick to my calories if I didn't snack on fruit.
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I totally ignore the sugar...I'm always over and I'm only eating fruit and a little honey with oatmeal. Just concentrate on the total calories. I wish MFP could ignore sugar from fruit. I'm eating healthier than I ever have done before.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    That sugar number is incredibly low for most of us.

It seems low because the diet that you are used to is so high in sugar. That doesn't make consuming more OK or healthy.

The guidelines exist for a reason--stop eating so much fruit. Sugar is sugar is sugar.
  • macgurlnet
    Options

It seems low because the diet that you are used to is so high in sugar. That doesn't make consuming more OK or healthy.

The guidelines exist for a reason--stop eating so much fruit. Sugar is sugar is sugar.

I swear it seemed super low when I first started using MFP back in February but maybe I am just crazy. I'm over 50g just about every day, but I went through looking at my diary and most days I've still got some left over based on percentage. Most of my sugar is coming from dairy products anyhow.

Probably could change up things a little but I love my cottage cheese and yogurt, lol.

~Lyssa

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    ive recently started dieting and found that using this app it shows that im always eating over the amount of sugar , but its all from fruit or veg ( mainly fruit) does anyone know if this will still affect weight loss even if im eating the right amount of calories but too much sugar from fruit?? please help. thanks.

Unless you have diabetes, insulin resistance, or some other medical issue where you must limit your carbs/sugars, eating sugar will not affect your weight loss if you eat in a calorie deficit.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking sugar after my first week. I eat a ton of berries every day with milk and sugar. The milk has naturally occurring sugar as well. And yet here I am. I reached my goal weight in six months and now I'm in maintenance.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    http://who.int/nutrition/publications/guidelines/sugar_intake_information_note_en.pdf?ua=1
    "The World Health Organization’s new Guideline: Sugars intake for adults and
    children recommends reduced intake of free sugars throughout the life course.
    In both adults and children, the intake of free sugars should be reduced to less
    than 10% of total energy intake. A further reduction to below 5% of total energy
    intake would provide additional health benefits.
    Free sugars versus intrinsic sugars
    Recommendations in the guideline focus on documented health effects
    associated with the intake of “free sugars”. These include monosaccharides and
    disaccharides added to foods by the manufacturer, cook or consumer, and sugars
    naturally present in honey, syrups, fruit juices and fruit juice concentrates.
    Free sugars are different from intrinsic sugars found in whole fresh fruits and
    vegetables. As no reported evidence links the consumption of intrinsic sugars to
    adverse health effects, recommendations in the guideline do not apply to the
    consumption of intrinsic sugars present in whole fresh fruits and vegetables."
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm IR, and as long as I don't go totally nuts on fruit ( think Freelee), my weight loss has been good. Now, pastas and other high cal/carb foods... But, that is me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

And for what reason do they exist?