What should I eat for breakfast

Options
seems like most of the things that I look up our end up not being healthy for you for breakfast what are you finding that has the balance of carbs and proteins and sugars that is healthy to eat for breakfast without going to high on the carbs and too low on the protein what kind of proteins do you like eating for breakfast really having a hard time finding that balance

Replies

• sadiethedog123456789
    Options
    Yogurt, banana, bagel or bagel thin, eggs, tuna fish.... theres tons of options!
    I don't really have breakfast foods at breakfast time ect. I have food that sounds tasty and fit into my diet plan.
    If your willing to jist eat food in the morning instead of specifically breakfast food it might open up more options for you :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The "right" balance will be different for everyone, of course, but I've been on a Greek yogurt for breakfast kick. Sometimes I add nuts, fruit, granola, or cereal to it. Sometimes chocolate chips if it's been a bad week.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Almost every day, I eat a 3 (or 4) egg sandwich.

3/4 fried eggs
    2 slices of lightly buttered wheat toast
    1 slice American cheese

426 Calories (for 3 eggs)
    28 g protein
    24 g carb
    25 g fat

Obviously, you could use egg whites, to lower the fat and Calorie content.
  • jfcarlson713
    jfcarlson713 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    2 scrambled eggs with salsa - protein keeps me full until lunch
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I have 10 almonds.. with a whole grain bread (I like ancient grains) and a tomato... that puts me up around 380 calories... BUT plain no fat Greek yogurt mixed with frozen berries (Costco mixed field berries) and a 1/2 cup of steel cut oats (oatmeal) is a solid start too... I add a tblsp of Honey.. and a 1/4 tsp of cinnamon to the oatmeal stir it all up.. THAT's when I don't feel like counting the calories.. BUT I still think it's well under 400...

when you think protein.. think things like Nuts, cheese, yogurt... and whole grain breads... and ther is NOTHING wrong with boiled eggs...OR whey protein... you can add a scoop to the oatmeal... or mix it with water or milk as PART of a balanced breakie...if you are new to whey... always source it from New Zealand.. unless you prefer plant based protein... if that's the case I don't think it matters much where you source it...
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Eggs in just about any form, with just about any meat, and maybe some toast. I just had quiche for breakfast, it's nearly a perfect food, then again, so are cheeseburgers. Have cheeseburgers for breakfast.

Rigger
  • shenson2522
    shenson2522 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Almost every morning I have scrambled eggs( 2 egg whites 1 whole egg), 2 slices of turkey bacon, and a hash brown patty. This past week I added in 2 corn tortillas.
  • johnbatkinson
    johnbatkinson Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My typical: yoplait 100 cal Greek yogurt, 6 oz container of fresh berries (Black, ras or blue) and a 100 cal bag of nuts such as emerald almonds and walnuts or blue diamond almonds:

lzespc6mgogh.png

Prolly also important: I take my time... eat at my desk at work and take 30-45 minutes to eat it... don't need a snack before lunch.

Mostly it is preference and what fits with your plan....
  • fitkoc
    fitkoc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    one piece of sprouted whole grain toast, 1 tbsp. homemade quacamole topped with a whole egg fried in homemade salsa, serve with 1 litre of lemon water.....slices of banana or strawberry beside it.....can't get enough of this combination...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a wild guess that you start your morning with a caffeine hit. (Hint: hit the space bar twice and you get punctuation.)

I use the balanced plate approach so if I have a little protein, carb, fat, and fruit/veggie, with a side of milk, I've got an ideal meal.

Here's some examples:
    egg, toast with cream cheese, bacon (1 slice 100 cals), and a couple strawberries
    two walnuts, half a bran muffin, slice of melon, 1/2 cup yogurt
    steel cut oats, 1/2 cup full fat greek yogurt, raisins
    egg omelet with onion and tomato, cooked in a teaspoon of EVOO and sprinkled with cheese, and half a skinny bagel
    chia seed and greek yogurt pudding (refrigerated overnight) with fruit compote
    cold cereal with milk and sliced banana, slice of hard cheese

Feel free to mix and match the above as you please.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I have 4 faves that I vary between:

1. Egg scramble - 1 or 2 eggs, or 1 whole and 1 white, done in the microwave with mushrooms, tomato, ham, spinach, leftover veg, sprinkle of cheese, or something.
    2. Overnight oats - porridge oats soaked overnight in yoghurt/ fruit juice/ milk, with added dried and fresh fruit, seeds, nuts.
    3. Greek yoghurt and berries.
    4. Toast - I keep a good quality seeded bread in the freezer, and toast one slice from frozen. Topped with marmite and cottage cheese, smooshed avocado, almond butter and cherry jam (or different nut butters and jams), slice of cheese, humous, or baked beans heated in the microwave.
  • tlynnxoxox
    Options
    I struggle with breakfast as well, not so much because I'm not hungry but more because I just never have enough time. I stick to a ton of fruit, including cuties, watermelon & honey dew. I also make a batch of vegan protein pancakes or waffles at the beginning of the week and munch on those for the mornings I am feeling particularly hungry. There are a TON of protein pancake recipes! You can also make some fancy cafe breakfast sandwiches using healthy ingredients such as spinach, Gimme Lean breakfast sausage patties, etc. I picked up a panini press for like $20 at Target and it's the best thing I have ever bought!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I made some crustless quiche muffins this week with serrano peppers, celery, onion, eggs of course, a teaspoon of parmesan on top, and one very thin sliced deli sausage. They are in the freezer ready to go.
  • cranor130
    cranor130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    No matter my breakfast food, I hit empty at about 10:30. Any ideas???this has been an especially hungry week for me...
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of great ideas here! I have french toast every morning with 45 calorie a slice bread, 1 egg, splash of fat free milk, fry in 1/2 tsp of oil 1/2 tsp of maple syrup on each piece. It's under 300 calories and yummy! !!!