Chicken?!?!

Options
BabySnow
BabySnow Posts: 17 Member
Ok!! I'm just getting back on the grind as of yesterday.. I've gotten so far away from good eating practices!! I've been simmering whole chickens all morning!! I REALLY want to make homemade chicken and dumplings.. or cheesy chicken spaghetti.. But I know that isn't my best choices.. So hit me up with your favorites!!! And GO!!!!

Replies

• dilhun77
    dilhun77 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    To help reduce calories in pasta dishes. Try Shiritaki noodles they r only 15 calories per serving you can find them at walmart near the bags of salad in produce section. Just rinse them in cold water for about 3 min then boil for a few min n they are good
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Cheesy chicken would go nicely with spaghetti squash instead of pasta. Or have it with pasta but have a smaller portion and serve it with a large salad.

A small portion of chicken and dumplings with a large side of steamed veggies.

All choices are good. You just have to make them fit into your calorie allotment.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Marinated skinless, boneless chicken thighs. Marinade : olive oil, mustard, honey, Worcester sauce, soy sauce, whatever vinegar I gave on hand, salt and pepper.

ETA: I did a roast chicken w this marinade and it was WONDERFUL. Stuffed the chicken w lemon, garlic and thyme, marinated it overnight and roasted for an hour or so, breast down in the pot. SO GOOD.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'd google skinnytaste dumplings. I'd put in a quarter of the cheese for chicken spaghetti. Maybe change out the pasta for spaghetti squash.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Most cheeses only have like 100 calories per ounce. A single ounce might not sound like a whole lot, but if you shred it up, it is actually quite a pile.
  • dawn_noelle29
    dawn_noelle29 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I cut up chicken breasts the other day and marinated them with: olive oil, the juice of two limes, the juice of half an orange, some fresh garlic, cilantro, a T. of soy sauce, and a super spicy blend and grilled them - so tasty!
  • wfarrens
    wfarrens Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My only suggestion is to be nice to yourself while you figure out which healthier choices satisfy you just as well (or better!) as your old favorites. This is a lifelong process and it requires patience and a lot of love for yourself. When you have an off day (and you will, we all do), don't waste your time on guilt and shame. Just pick back up the next day!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Cheesy chicken spaghetti - I use reduced fat cheese and Fiber gourmet pasta to cut the calories in half. To cut it even more, I'd use spaghetti squash instead of pasta.

I'm not a fan of chicken and dumplings, so I don't have a fix for those.

Chicken in mushroom sauce is DElicious and mushrooms are super low calorie.
    Chicken and broccoli stir fry
    Chicken in a red sauce over the pasta (I'd still use Fiber Gourmet because it tastes good and is lower calorie) with just a little grated cheese.
    Simmer the chicken in salsa until it is falling apart for chicken tacos or burritos.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I had some of the best Smoked Pepper Chicken breasts the other day. I bought them in the meat dept already done (raw but seasoned).
    I've never done any marinating with Chicken. Any ideas on how to do 'smoked pepper' marinated Chicken Breasts?

Can anyone share some tips? TIA

OP you've gotten some great tips... hope they give you lots of ideas. I'm glancing up at the other posts now and seeing various marinating ideas. :)

OP - I'm glad you posted this topic :)
  • BabySnow
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions!!!! I think I'm gonna do chicken spaghetti cause it sounds sooooo good right now.. I have angel hair pasta on hand.. I will stock up on fiber noodles.. I'll check out the shitake noodles too!!! I think I'll make mine seperate and use some rotel (I know, canned) :( and just top it with cheese
  • BabySnow
    Options
    I had some of the best Smoked Pepper Chicken breasts the other day. I bought them in the meat dept already done (raw but seasoned).
    I've never done any marinating with Chicken. Any ideas on how to do 'smoked pepper' marinated Chicken Breasts?

Can anyone share some tips? TIA

OP you've gotten some great tips... hope they give you lots of ideas. I'm glancing up at the other posts now and seeing various marinating ideas. :)

OP - I'm glad you posted this topic :)

I actually have an amazing meat department at a local grocery store.. they have all different kinds of marinated chicken and pork.. I just bought a Door county (awesome place famous for cherries up in Wiaconsin) cherry and something marinated pork loin.. and I'm super excited to try it out!!

Loving all the ideas I was given.. As far as the smoked pepper marinade.. not sure what they used.. but maybe a little olive oil, liquid smoke, garlic, and pepper?! That's how I would do it!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Chicken and dumplings are essentially a stewed chicken (lots of protein, not much fat if you remove the skim after stewing), carrots, onion & celery (practically no cals there) and the flour dumplings. Just don't eat a bunch of the dumplings and you will be fine.
  • Brent2015
    Brent2015 Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Grilled chicken breasts seasoned with Mrs Dash herb blend (no salt). Chill then slice thin. Take a Flat Out wrap and spread half tablespoon of pesto over one half. Crumble abd add 1 ounce of feta cheese, add 3 ounces of sliced chicken breast and then add a handful of fresh baby spinach. Roll and enjoy.
  • pcrucifer
    pcrucifer Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Start with a frozen whole chicken. Put in a crock pot with 1.5 cups water. Turn on, cover, and leave for 8-10 hours. Viola, super tender, super easy chicken. We use the meat with taco seasoning or curry seasoning or add it to dishes the rest of the week. We also boil the bones to make stock for soup.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I just grill Chicken breasts on The George Forman grill and add various seasonings instead of sauces. I eat it with steamed veg and choose a carbohydrate sauce to go with it, sweet potato, oven chips, chilli con carne, rice, pasta etc.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Chusan1231 wrote: »
    Ok!! I'm just getting back on the grind as of yesterday.. I've gotten so far away from good eating practices!! I've been simmering whole chickens all morning!! I REALLY want to make homemade chicken and dumplings.. or cheesy chicken spaghetti.. But I know that isn't my best choices.. So hit me up with your favorites!!! And GO!!!!

what would be wrong with those? they have fat, protein, and carbs and you need all three.

Eating "healthy" is about your overall diet and hitting calorie/micro/macro goals of the day …so if you want chicken and dumplings and can work them into your day then do it.

otherwise you could do slow cooker chicken, grilled chicken, or chicken/rice/vegetables, etc
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Are you after just some new suggestions of what to do with a chicken?

I like it roasted with sprigs of Rosemary from my garden, a quartered lemon and a quartered onion up its bum and a spoon of honey drizzled over at the end. Yummy. Serve with sweet potato mash and broccoli. (To be fair, the sweet potato does make it quite a sweet meal but my kids love it and it's quicker that roasties!)

Fajitas - tear up the chicken, toss in spices, fry up sliced onion and peppers and throw into tortilla wraps with mashed avocado and homemade salsa. Add grated cheese and sour cream if you so wish.

Just roasted chicken with a fresh baguette sliced and buttered with a massive colourful salad. Love that.

I'm so hungry now that I'm going to stop.

• HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I make a Costco rotisserie chicken and dumplings a couple of times a month. For enhanced portion control, I use canned low fat biscuits for dumplings. I roll them flat and cut them into strips with a pizza cutter then throw them in the pot in batches. This way I know that I will have exactly 180 calories of dumpling in each bowl plus the chicken and broth. This makes my favorites manageable on the program.
  • BabySnow
    Options
    Awesome suggestions!! I did end up making cheesy chicken spaghetti.. I used angel hair pasta.. and sautéed some onions in pam.. Added rotel.. a little milk, small amount of cornstarch to thicken, and 2 ounces of cream cheese.. tossed the noodles in that, and topped with some finely shredded cheddar cheese. Ended up not being too bad on my calories!!