ok so it is not a thyroid problem

Options
mom23nuts
mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
that about sums it up....so after over a month at the gym and here and running a 5k and watching what I eat and being careful and charting everything.....and no major weight loss....I went for a fasting blood sugar level and a thyroid test and both came back completely F***ing NORMAL!!!!

Ugh!!!

What gives? the doctor says maybe I need a nutritionalist, but how much is that going to cost me!

Maybe I should just relax and keep plugging along and say F it all and just be a gym rat and be ok with not seeing results.'

Also got measured and had a fancy bmi test done and even that shows NOTHING has changed.

I give it 1 more month and then hello chocolate and dairy queen at least once a week.

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    please add me and message me. I have questions for you. thanks!
  • tinacrane
    tinacrane Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am definetly not a fitness expert or dietician, BUT:
    Try giving your diet a jolt: for example for one week go vegetarian, or no carbs or no sugar or no diet sodas, etc. Maybe your metabolism needs a shock! Also drink water and track every bite that goes into your mouth!

For exercise try and shake it up and do different fun things you enjoy-biking, walking, dancing, gym-whatever. Vary the intensity and exercise up every week.

I do not know what age you are, but are you by any chance close to menopausal or peri menopausal age?
  • Kristin111365
    Options
    I have been steadly losing about 2 1/2 ponds a week. I have cut my calories to 1200 and I work out for at least 40 minutes a day at the gym doing Cardio. I have alot to lose but this has helped to keep me motivated. I eat what I want but it has to be no more than 1200 calories a day. Hope this helps.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Question:

Did your Dr do the standard TSH only thyroid test or did he check your T3, T4 and your T3 to T4 uptake conversion?

The reason I ask is because the TSH can often times come back in normal range, but there are problems with the T3 to T4 ratio that never gets checked so many people are going undiagnosed..............

Just because that number says normal for a blood test doesn't mean that its normal for YOUR body.

Hugs to you, I went through years of this agony until last year..........
  • RMariaT
    RMariaT Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I am on Armour Thyroid and still can't lose weight...any suggestions?
  • use2becaligirl
    Options
    No, dont give up. Im in the same boat as you!!! We might just lose the weight extremly slow, which totally sucks.
  • moonay
    moonay Posts: 30
    Options
    Ask your doctor to do a insulin resistance test. I have an underactive thyroid and take daily meds but I also have whats known as insulin resistance.

In a nutshell it is where the liver doesn't regulate it's glucose levels properly. It also affects your fat cells. It isn't type 2 diabetes but something that can lead to it if left untreated. It isn't always checked for on blood tests as the usual culprit is the thyroid or diabetes.

If you want anymore information about it let me know.
  • mamaheinz
    mamaheinz Posts: 8
    Options
    I also have not lost any weight and have had a thyroid and other tests done. All came back normal. My doctor suggested that I check my hormone levels and possibly I may be going through pre-menopause. I have not had anything checked, but may be worth looking into for you. Good luck. I know how frustrating it is to workout and eat well and lose nothing. Don't give up.
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    I am definetly not a fitness expert or dietician, BUT:
    Try giving your diet a jolt: for example for one week go vegetarian, or no carbs or no sugar or no diet sodas, etc. Maybe your metabolism needs a shock! Also drink water and track every bite that goes into your mouth!

For exercise try and shake it up and do different fun things you enjoy-biking, walking, dancing, gym-whatever. Vary the intensity and exercise up every week.

I do not know what age you are, but are you by any chance close to menopausal or peri menopausal age?

ok sounds like a plan....am adding in more intense bursts of cardio into my plan and more weights ...I am usually at the gym 6 days a week for about an hour and then walk in the afternoons and added jogging back into the mix about 3 afternnons a week.

I am 36 and have PCOS and maybe i should just be happy to be where i am now and not gaining! But with all that hard work there should be some validation for it all
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    Ask your doctor to do a insulin resistance test. I have an underactive thyroid and take daily meds but I also have whats known as insulin resistance.

In a nutshell it is where the liver doesn't regulate it's glucose levels properly. It also affects your fat cells. It isn't type 2 diabetes but something that can lead to it if left untreated. It isn't always checked for on blood tests as the usual culprit is the thyroid or diabetes.

If you want anymore information about it let me know.

I am IR and have PCOS and am on glucophage but even this past blood test showed my fasting insulin at 2 or lower and they told me I am totally in check and can come off my meds if I feel comfortable with that but with no more weight lost how can I come off the meds when I'd be a nervous wreck if I saw gains vs loses or maintaning off the meds and all that I am doing now.
  • Sway
    Sway Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bump: My Dr. wanted to check my thyroid today... so I'll see what she says. Probably normal though. Guess I'll just stick with it!