Psoriasis!!

Options
Ive Suffered from psoriasis for years and I've found that I take 1 step forward and 2 steps back any ideas?

Replies

• strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Try to stay as stress free as possible. If your doctor has prescribed you meds (if not go see a doc) take them as instructed. Drink plenty of water, shower and gently cleanse skin after a good workout, get some sun (it helps some people), and try to figure out what makes it worse in your daily routine.
  • Porshasmummyx
    Options
    I use dove moisturiser in the shower I moisturise daily and go on sun beds as often as I can and still no good :neutral:
  • gerardmccann9
    Options
    I too have had/do have psoriasis for many years with varying degrees of severity. Over the year personally I've found it comes down to diet, doc's say stress but for me that's a cop out. not until a couple years ago though a friend did I look at my diet, which I thought was fairly average but turns out not so. I was amazed to see some of the foods I perceived to be 'healthy or good' - were but just not for me.
    Any type of junk or sugar rich foods (including some fruits) are a no go.
    I tried a detox from one of those juice guys, not necessarily for psoriasis, more just a body detox, and found it really helped. I'll get the details and send them on if you'd like.

G.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I started following the Autoimmune Protocol elimination diet 18 days ago...very restrictive at first. But, I've already noticed an improvement in my psoriasis. Encouraged me to keep going.

Right now the "no" list is daunting...

no dairy
    no eggs
    no gluten
    no grains
    no nuts
    no seeds
    no nightshades (potatoes, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes... to name a few)
    no beans (including coffee and cocoa)

But to see it work? Totally worth it.

I'm eating fruits, veggies, meats, fish.

But it's working...psoriasis is better, and I'm hoping to also see improvement with my Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.

• Papaepic
    Papaepic Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Dr, or a nutritionist. I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. I took a high dose of Vit E orally for a couple of months, two years ago, and my Psoriasis is gone and has not come back yet. I haven't seen any studies or support for this treatment anywhere, just telling you what worked for me.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I had psoriasis and was over weight by 40 pounds. I went on the Dukan diet, and by the end of the second phase, thirty six pounds were gone and so was my psoriasis. I have maintained my weight for the last three years, even lost another 10 pounds, and find that eating without regular doses of wheat products (bread, pasta) and grains (corn, rice, etc) and stick to centering my diet around proteins (chicken, eggs,greek yogurt, fish, etc) seems to work for me. I don't feel very good after I eat bread / pasta beyond what is considered a half serving. Same with potatoes. So I don't eat them on a regular basis (less than once a month). I do like my dark chocolate in small doses (less than 50 calories a day).
  • FruityLoops
    FruityLoops Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Personally I haven't found that any dietary changes affect my psoriasis (or psoriatic arthritis) either way. I've also tried coconut oil, no change, methotrexate (which I'm on for the PsA but is also prescribed for severe psoriasis), no change, off the shelf creams/sprays/lotions from the pharmacy, none I've tried have done anything so far, coal tar and alphosyl shampoos, no change. The only things that can clear mine up are dovobet and protopic ointments, however if I stop using them for more than say a week it starts to come back again :/
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I don't have psoriasis but I do have eczema. I started taking fish oil in the past few weeks and have noticed an improvement. When I was reading about it, I half remember seeing mention of it helping psoriasis, as well.
  • Porshasmummyx
    Options
    Thank you guys!!!!!