Sweet potatoes are confusing

Options
ClubSilencio
ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I bought a 1 lb. sweet potato.... is that really 400 calories or after its cooked?

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Usda - Raw Sweet Potato, 16 ounce : 389 cals

From the database. It looks right.

ETA: From your question I can't tell if you're asking if the calories change when cooked. Apologies if you knew already, but no they don't. (OK, maybe it lowers by a couple if the potato is leaking juice)
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Just making sure. I've been underestimating them for months now. Grams, cubes... heck, I just take them out of the oven and dig in.
  • ohaston
    ohaston Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hey Ill tell you what I do: I weigh it before I eat it and again to remove the skin that I leave behind. I love baked sweet potatoes and love to see me get my cals back when I take off the OZs that I get thrown away. !
    Hey If you slice them really thin and toss them in a bag with a lil olive oil you can cook them on a plate in the microwave & they actually get crunchy almost like a potato chip! UM UM GOOD !
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I recently switched to butternut squash half the cals, similar flavor profile! The texture is different, but it's still a good sub.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I recently switched to butternut squash half the cals, similar flavor profile! The texture is different, but it's still a good sub.

Definitely good! Especially roasted. And now I want some.