BAD BIKE RIDE.

Options
dwieferich
dwieferich Posts: 12 Member
So It was such a nice day uot this morning I decided to do a 6 mile bike ride with the kids in the tent. Well I was about 4.5 miles in and away from home without money when a tire on the kids tent blows.GREAT! Im alone and no money with my kids. So I was right by valero gas station where my husband and I had pump our tires for free a couple times. Good I thought. So I go to the air pump and It doesnt work. I walked up to the front door and said excuse me can you please turn on the air I have my newborn and 5 year old with me and there tire went completly flat. The workers reply sorry we dont do that for our customers anymore for free. Its owned by another company. REALLY!!!! I have a 3 month old and a 5 year old in az where its now almost 90 degrees and nobody can help me!! Im so mad that people are that rude. And to top it off some *kitten* in the parking lot watch me go to the pump then to the front door and when they said they couldnt help me he watch me walk away and Laughed! To top that off he had to drive past me .5 miles away to laugh again! LESSON LEARNED: Never ride without a dollar in case of an emergency. :sad: :mad:

Replies

• therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    People suck. I am sorry this happened to you.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    if your riding with your children you should be prepaired with extra tubes and a pump a few bucks emergency snacks etc ....
  • fatboypup
    Options
    if your riding with your children you should be prepaired with extra tubes and a pump a few bucks emergency snacks etc ....
  • rgoodearl
    rgoodearl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    What comes around goes around...
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    That sucks! Boo to the gas station attendant and to the jerk that felt the need to laugh at you! Hopefully karma will even things out and he'll get a flat tire on his car on the way home!
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    that's aweful! I hope every thing turned out okay for you though.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    That is HORRIBLE!!!!!!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sorry you had to deal with it but DO learn from it, carry some small change around, toss it in your first aid kit / diaper bag / anything you've got on you. Maybe look into the patches or a small cheap pump just for such emergencies, or go to a bike shop and get one of their C02 or compressed air canisters that make fixing a flat in a pinch fast and nearly painless.
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    That's terrible. Where's the heart? Happened to me at a CVS. Had my three and six year old with me and one of them had to go to the bathroom. No we don't have public bathrooms so made me drive a mile down the road to find the public bathroom. Really!!! I'm a customer. Why are people so miserable... and she was an older woman. Guess she must wear Depends (sorry low blow), but you'd have thought she'd have a heart. What satisfaction do you get from being mean? Don't see the sense of it. Sorry it happened to you. That's very upsetting when you have little ones with you.
  • brayaddie
    brayaddie Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    aww That is just terrible! I ride bike & several miles at a time I haven't rode with the baby just yet but I never thought of that happening. Times like this you learn there are 2 types of people, civil good people, or good for nothing people..Sorry your day went that way...hope the rest of it is better!
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Gotta agree with fatboypup to be prepared when you go, especially with small kids, but the local police are also a resource. You could call them if that happens again, that is what our taxes pay for. BUT you can get this really cool product for bikes called fix-a-flat which they make specficially for bike flats. Just remember, you still have to pull out the sharp object that caused the flat in the first place. But that will get you home. If you go to any local bike shop, they will also teach you how to fix a flat tire so you know how to do that for yourself. It's easier than you think and worth the time to learn.
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    P.S. Mean people suck.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Ugh! That just stinks! You have now convinced me though that I should always have a couple of dollars on me!!
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    That sucks, but consider it lesson learned.
    Never ride without 4 quarters (for air machines), plus enough for bus fare just in case it's a blow-out and not just a leak.

I have an under-seat bag that holds money, phone, camera, etc.
  • dwieferich
    Options
    Ya I really learned my lesson. I do ride just around the neighborhood so the 6 miles is really like 3 miles out and 3 miles bike. But I do take stuff for my children just never thought about the pump because my husband always checks that for us. This time he just so happend to be at home. On my way to the bike store this afternoon to get a small pump to go .
  • dwieferich
    Options
    I mean not at home. He was at work.
  • fatboypup
    Options
    maybe also look into thorn resistant tubes or slime az is flat tire central ...
  • dwieferich
    Options
    I will. Thank you I really appriciate all your help. If anyone should know about the tires and stuff in az you would think it should be me as my husband builds all the freeways and roads in az. He always says we need to check these things because of the heat. Maybe I shouldnt be so hard headed and stop to listen to him. He usually is right or has a good point to what he says and advise he gives me. Stubborn girl.
  • fatboypup
    Options
    does he ride? ... ive been looking for some biking buddys