Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »
    I dont have cheat days because I dont cheat. If i want to eat more than my alloted calorie allowance for the day thats fine. I accept it, log it and move on. I'm mindful of eating in excess so I tend to make sure i do extra exercise either before or after to minimise the impact, if any. The idea of cheating seems a bit immature to me, be a grown up take the hit and realise nothing comes for free. Deal with the consequences, log it and move on.

Except that you're doing the exact same thing, only you just call it "day I went over and logged it". Cutting someone down for using a word you don't like seems immature to me. Also nasty.

I disagree that it's the same thing... it seems like there are two distinct things going on - on one hand you have people who occasionally eat over their goal and maybe even over their maintenance calories and are OK with that; on the other are people that are 'planning' a regularly scheduled binge:
    I never claimed you should tell yourself that. Besides which, you beg the question with your "if I have the calories" caveat. I'd never have the calories for the kind of meals I'm talking about because that meal alone is more than my daily calorie total.
    My "binge" of a 3000 calorie meal is probably still under, or at least very close to, maintenance. It just so happens that it's far, far above my calorie goal for a regular day.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I dont have cheat days because I dont cheat. If i want to eat more than my alloted calorie allowance for the day thats fine. I accept it, log it and move on. I'm mindful of eating in excess so I tend to make sure i do extra exercise either before or after to minimise the impact, if any. The idea of cheating seems a bit immature to me, be a grown up take the hit and realise nothing comes for free. Deal with the consequences, log it and move on.

Except that you're doing the exact same thing, only you just call it "day I went over and logged it". Cutting someone down for using a word you don't like seems immature to me. Also nasty.

I disagree that it's the same thing... it seems like there are two distinct things going on - on one hand you have people who occasionally eat over their goal and maybe even over their maintenance calories and are OK with that; on the other are people that are 'planning' a regularly scheduled binge:
    I never claimed you should tell yourself that. Besides which, you beg the question with your "if I have the calories" caveat. I'd never have the calories for the kind of meals I'm talking about because that meal alone is more than my daily calorie total.
    OP never said that though, and that's who people are replying to when freaking out over the word "cheat". OP said she eats at maintenance one day a week, and also referenced people like me who reserve some calories most days to use up once a week or so. And I never call it "cheating" but I know what OP means so I don't need to lose my head over the word.
  • NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My "binge" of a 3000 calorie meal is probably still under, or at least very close to, maintenance. It just so happens that it's far, far above my calorie goal for a regular day.

I'm salivating at the thought of a 3000 maintenance! Mine is somewhere between 1600 and 1650!
    EDIT: Before I do my exercise that is!
  • sofaking6
    Options
    who4fan wrote: »
    This is the way I look at it. I got as big as I have ever been spending a lot of time feeling guilty for eating "bad" foods and "cheating". This led to eating more because I managed to depress myself to the point that eating even the slightest treat would send me in to a binge because I felt like I had already blown it. I realize that not everyone works this way, and calling something a "cheat" is commonly accepted. I have come to realize that there are no "bad" foods and it's not all or nothing anymore. Instead, most of the time, I eat under my calorie goal but I no longer feel bad if I go out and have it all. The next day, it's back to eating under my calorie goal again. Words have power if we give it to them, some people are ok with seeing a treat as a cheat, it doesn't effect them mentally, some like myself, aren't.

And here we see how it's possible to not like the word yet still manage to express yourself clearly and without insulting anyone.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I'm salivating at the thought of a 3000 maintenance! Mine is somewhere between 1600 and 1650!
    EDIT: Before I do my exercise that is!
    I think part of the difference might be that you're 4'9" and I'm 6'9".

Per IIFYM, my TDEE is 3169. So, my "binge" is also "maintenance" if I also have a Dr Pepper.

• bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think that's the problem with the word 'cheat' (much like the word 'clean') there is no standard definition. I don't think anyone has a problem with the eating at maintenance or slightly over if you've banked calories. It's the people who equate 'cheat' day to 'free-for-all' day and then wonder why they aren't seeing results.

If you've been on MFP long enough, you know they're out there.

Two distinct scenarios, two distinct results; same descriptor.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I think that is why the OP asked what ppls rules were.
  • sofaking6
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think that's the problem with the word 'cheat' (much like the word 'clean') there is no standard definition. I don't think anyone has a problem with the eating at maintenance or slightly over if you've banked calories. It's the people who equate 'cheat' day to 'free-for-all' day and then wonder why they aren't seeing results.

"Cheat" is like "binge" in that way. You'll see these two posts right next to each other:

OP1 "I had a little cheat day, nothing big just a couple of pizzas and a twelve pack and a gallon or two of ice cream but then I walked around the block which burned off all the calories so WHY DID I GAIN WEIGHT?"

OP2 "OMG I totally binged I can't believe it I'll never make up for it I ate three almonds, two rice crackers and then my gross self topped it off with half an apple WHY CANT I STICK TO MY DIET?"

*boggle*

• bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options

"Cheat" is like "binge" in that way. You'll see these two posts right next to each other:

OP1 "I had a little cheat day, nothing big just a couple of pizzas and a twelve pack and a gallon or two of ice cream but then I walked around the block which burned off all the calories so WHY DID I GAIN WEIGHT?"

OP2 "OMG I totally binged I can't believe it I'll never make up for it I ate three almonds, two rice crackers and then my gross self topped it off with half an apple WHY CANT I STICK TO MY DIET?"

*boggle*

Good point... great point, actually.

So the subjectivity of the lexicon generally results in MFP forum topics (like this one) to devolve into arguments in semantics... and then kitteh GIFs... and occasionally a 'mean people' thread.
  • sofaking6
    Options

*boggle*

So the subjectivity of the lexicon generally results in MFP forum topics (like this one) to devolve into arguments in semantics... and then kitteh GIFs... and occasionally a 'mean people' thread.

Truth! And one in which I am invariably labeled a 'white knight" <g>

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Exactly this. I think there is confusion as to what is meant by cheat meal. I wouldnt classify going to maintenance as cheating. Its in your allowance fo goodness sake.

I am more directed towards people who diet all week and then choose to blow it all at the weekend by stopping logging and thinking all that unaccounted food somehow goes missing. Its ultimately undermining anyones diet plan if done on a regular basis and there are people when the topic comes up that use that as their strategy. If thats what they want to do thats up to them, but they are going to make much slower progress to target by only doing their diet part time. Its a flawed strategy imo

I have no problem if people decide to have an extra meal if they have good reason i.e birthday, they have reached a target, they are depressed. Those arent going to happen often and you can plan for them.

OP no im not saying what you said in your 9:36 post. People can do what they like and in this post I confirmed I wouldnt class that as a cheat meal anyway. Stick around and you will see this topic comes up all the time and it was in that context I posted, it wasnt really in direct reference to you, if you read my post its about cheat meals in general and the part time dieting. Whats the point of working hard all week only to give yourself a free pass on the weekend and undermining all the calories you burned or didnt eat? Seems a crazy way to do things..
  • NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

*boggle*

I agree, I merely think that my explanation of what I meant by cheat was pretty clear - giving the example of me going to maintenance and another of people who eat less throughout the week so that their overall deficit would be the same if they'd stuck to their 'calorie goal'. Therefore those who attacked the use of word "cheat" were often being very rude when they knew they had no reason to be!

Whether they were 'expressing their opinion' or not, they did it in a mean and hurtful way and those people need to understand that picking on someone for using a word they don't like (even if they have a reason not to like it) is immature and the kind of cyberbully I usually only hear about from my 13 year old niece.

Overall: one does not tell me how to diet (or talk)! Especially if my way is already working!
    Should-I-eat-the-humans-birthday-cake.png

(see what I did there ^)
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer being 'flexible' with my calorie intake than the term cheating. cheating makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong amd should feel guilty. Personal preference in the language but I get the concept you're describing.

I tend to aim for a weekly calorie goal over a daily one and try and average out a higher intake day with 6 slightly lower ones.

I prelog what I can and often use exercise calories to give me extra calories for special occasions. It's working for me as I have lost 14.7kg in 13 weeks.

My daily allowance is 1610 calories but on my flexible day I'll have 2300-2400 and others around 1400, about every 1-2 weeks I'll have a higher day
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I tend to pig out on Fridays. Like two Fridays ago, I had (on top of what I had already eaten for the day):

*24oz of Silver City Fat Scotch Ale
    *3 slices of homemade pizza Margarita
    *2 or 3oz of O'Mara's Irish Cream
    *4-5 Mars miniatures
    *Large, single serving bag of baked Lays
    *Half of a New Belgium Abbey
    *2 squares of Cadbury's Royal Dark

I want to say I drank some gin and Sparkling Ice, but not surprisingly, I really don't remember.

But it ultimately meant nothing, because I have continued to lose weight anyway even though I am supposed to be in maintenance.

All that matters is the general overall trend. Most days this week, I have been under 1600 cals (yesterday was 1300...), but my maintenance is between 1800-2000. No surprise I keep losing weight even though I really need to eat moar or stop doing 30-40 minutes of high intensity cardio 5-6 days a week.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    My Cheat Day Rule #0 :

If you have to cheat, you're doin' it wrong.

youre-doing-it-wrong.jpg

• shaunte92
    shaunte92 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't really know if it's possible for some of the people in this thread to be more annoying, condescending & petulant than they're being. YOU GUYS KNOW WHAT SHE IS TALKING ABOUT WHEN SHE SAYS "Cheat Day". It's irrelevant whether or not you agree with the term. That's not the question she asked, & even if you did want to put in your input about you not living life like that you could've done it nicely!!! Everyone's approach is different. Plenty of people indulge in weekly cheat days and/or meals and are just as successful as those who choose to have small indulgences whenever they float their boat.

As for me, I'm trying to figure this out now. I used to think that "every thing goes" was okay. But now I KNOW I need limits. I'm thinking of making sure I hit the gym & eating at maitenence level & eating back the exercise calories from that day LOL. That would put me around 2500+ ... But hey, my favorite are heavy hitters (Chicago deep dish, fried bbq chicken, Chinese, etc)!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Cheating insinuates I'm doing something wrong. I'm not.
  • Rampant328
    Rampant328 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    No cheat DAYS. Only two cheat MEALS per week. Any food is ok with REASONABLE portion control.
  • sfkn123
    sfkn123 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do 1200 cal per weekday - Monday through Thursday, actually. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday means no caps on what I eat. That's how I maintain.
  • kristenveganvixen
    kristenveganvixen Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    -One of the best pieces of advice I've read is to have cheat MEALS, not cheat DAYS. Low calorie options for all other meals of the day
    -Do loads of exercise either in the morning or day before your calorific meal to earn yourself extra calories!
    -Intermittent fasting works well to earn extra too- even if you don't want to do the full on 500 cals version then what I call a "lite" version of switching to 1200 cals instead of 1400-1600ish helps balance things out for eating at maintenence or slightly above.