Question....

Options
jennmoore3
jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
o.k. I do the squats and my legs are on fire. Is this really helping burn calories? or is it just gaining muscle? Am I wasting my time here? or doing a good thing?

Jenn

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Any movement is good. The proof is in the results. Stick with your program for a couple weeks and see if you see any results. If not switch it up and try something else.
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    Well, I am doing cardio, but I thought why not do Squats every time I go to the bathroom. What could it hurt? so That is what I am doing every time I go pee... lol
  • spirited_angel
    Options
    It does brun cals hun but more over it tones you up which you really need when your losing weight!!And the more exercise including toneing you do the better as it boosts ya mettabolic rate!!!So you burn cals even quicker!!
  • DebiP10
    DebiP10 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Because you working a large muscle doing squats you will not only be toning up but as you build muscle you will also be burning calories while resting :smile:
  • bkthomas2004
    bkthomas2004 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Stick with it, like someone else said, movement counts. Its helping build muscle, and mixed in with that cardio to melt the fat, you will see results down the line. Patience grasshopper :happy:
  • psyc0bebe1
    psyc0bebe1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Building muscle/toning is essential to burning more calories throughout the day in addition to what you burn off during your exercise program. It also teaches your body to utilize calories for energy and not storage as so much fat. Roughly the first two weeks of a weight training program (especially for women) you will feel fatter than ever. Great right? This is your body starting to freak out and transition to keep up. The weight/bulk is just water weight, as your muscles tear a little during strength training to and start building. In order to keep from bulking like a body builder, keep your strength training program more dynamic, cardiovascular and increase your heart rate. Also keep changing your routine to strengthen different muscle groups. Try a "body pump" style class or in your home.

Squats any time of the day are great! (I love them because when done properly they work out your whole body.) Just be careful if you are doing them over the toilet that you are not squatting too low and throwing off your form. When done improperly, it will really damage your knees. Keep drinking water and keep up with your program and you will really start to see great changes!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Trust me you're not wasting your time! As others already said muscle is very beneficial, plus my butt has lifted tons since adding squats and lunges to my routine. Google various squats and lunges and switch it up, they all work the muscles differently! Which is a good thing!
  • jamievolner
    jamievolner Posts: 35
    Options
    Good Morning,

Actually doing squats properly happens to be one of the most effective types of exercise for the body and most people aren't even aware of that. They actually work the entire body as well as tone hard areas for us women to get results in, butt, hips, thighs etc...they tend to work even better if you use some weights in your hands. You will most certainly gain muscle which you can't panic over because it will effect your scale. Muscle as its built up weighs more than fat. This is not a bad thing its a GREAT THING....this exercise will also raise the metabolism because the squat motion going down them coming up makes the heart rate raise which is what you need to burn calories.

While doing the squats your body will release hormones (because it's rebuilding muscle) and sends it to the rest of your body, your shoulders, back, chest, even your arms. Be careful when starting squats as to not over do it at once. Start with one repetition of 10 see how your body feels then move on to a rep and a half, two and so on.

In answer to your question, yes, they are worth it. Also for maximum exercising results let me give you a bit of a secret. If you cardio one day, throw in some strength training the next day.....then cardio the next. Do them on separate / alternate days. People try to over do their exercise and forget the body needs a rest in between to "repair".

So: EXAMPLE

Monday- Cardio for a min of 30 min
    Tue - Strength training about 30 min but break it down to work upper and lower body. (you can get ST exercises online)
    Wed-Give the body a rest
    Thur- Cardio
    Fri- ST
    Sat- Cardio
    Sun-Give the body a rest

On your strength training days you can go for a walk etc no problem

It came be done other ways but this is the recommended way to get proper results. Hope this helps!

Jamie
  • JackieJ13
    JackieJ13 Posts: 93
    Options
    :happy: it is building muscle which will in turn help you burn more calories....so it's a win win....stick with it!
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    Thanks gals so much! and BTW, I do them after I pee, not while. LOL I just have a few minutes of alone time and thought why not? I wonder if I am even doing them right... My knees pop every time I do them and they have been popping more. not painfull at all. so, I guess I will look for a video to see if I am doing them right. I can't check out video's while I am at work. So

Thank you so much for making me feel like I am doing something right!
  • jamievolner
    jamievolner Posts: 35
    Options
    If your knees are popping like that regardless of if they hurt or not you may want to have that checked out first before going ahead with the squats.
  • mattiexox
    mattiexox Posts: 42
    Options
    o.k. I do the squats and my legs are on fire. Is this really helping burn calories? or is it just gaining muscle? Am I wasting my time here? or doing a good thing?

Jenn
    You're working your muscles, which is a fabulous thing!! By doing so you're working on gaining muscle AND you're burning calories! Also, the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn just resting. So...
    (I'm sorry I suck at explaining things, lol)
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    Well, they have always popped. I can just squat to pick something up off the floor and pop they go. They are fine, last time I had them checked out. I can pop everything, elbows, neck, back, fingers, toes, even my hip sometimes. I am weird like that. I will mention it again next time I go to the doctor, just cuz you, Jamie, Mentioned it. LOL

So far, I have done 60 squats today. 10 every time I went to the bathroom. not too shabby. I do feel it when I am done with just 10. wowza!
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    o.k. next question... how do I count that?!?!? In the calesthenics it does a time frame. I don't time myself?!?!? I am sure it is about 30 seconds for 10 squats, maybe?