concerned about skin

Options
shanna0413
shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
:smile: hi there, i have just recently joined and i have a question for people who have lost a lost of weight. i keep hearing that when you lose weight your skin will not shrink with it. is that true? i am concerned that if i loose the weight that i want to my skin will begin to sag and hand there. i cannot afford a surgery to fix that. please let me know if you ahve any experience with this. thank you

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    You are at an age that it will probably bounce back - just do some toning and strength exercises - along with cardio. I have lost a lot and seeing my skin get a big saggy and crepey (sp?) - but I am 25 years older than you!
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    If you lose it slowly, like 1 pound a week, then it should be fine. That's usually a problem when one loses large amount of weight over a short period of time.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    Your skin will shrink, but I've heard that ultimately it might not shrink back to the same proportions depending on how far it's been stretched... (per my Dr.)
    I use a Vitamin E "lotion" (for lack of a better word) that I was told would help the process (think scar removal cream) and that has helped some, but also TIME plays the biggest role. I have lost far quicker than my skin can keep up with, so I do have some loose skin issues - as I still have roughly 100 pounds to go - I'll probably have even more when it's all over with...

Talk to a Dermatologist or your local Family Prac - they might be able to suggest stuff... I'm actually planning on visiting the dermatologist soon myself - My family practice doc is ok.. but I'm not sure he is up on all the newest skincare stuff for guys... (or gals for that matter lol)

Hope it helps!
    C.J.
  • Chinook71
    Chinook71 Posts: 19
    Options
    I have heard that it depends on the person...etc. Personally, I will take extra skin over fat anyday!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 55lbs and my skin is slowly shrinking back to its normal size. I do have some saggy skin here and there, but overall toning (and building muscle) has helped A LOT.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It tends to happen more when you lose too quickly. Lose at a steady pace and your skin has more time to "bounce" back properly. Also, make sure to do toning exercises as this helps to tighten the skin. Oh, and moisturize!!!!
  • mskon
    mskon Posts: 64
    Options
    As long as it's at a slower pace {your weight loss} and you tone up it should be okay. I have a friend who had the surgery and has lost 110 pounds. He never toned and his weight went quickly. Now his skin is a little droopy.
  • heidiscool
    heidiscool Posts: 36
    Options
    I've lost 102 pounds/ 5 dress sizes and have some stretching but it is definitely not noticible. I wear sleeveless tops without worry and everyone comments on how toned my arms are. I think a lot of that is due to the fact that I did strength and cardio so I toned as I lost. I also drink a lot of water and some of it is probably age and genetics. I'm 41 and have pretty decent skin tone. Even people who do have loose skin look much better thin than they did overweight, so don't let that stop you!
  • bigalfantasy2004
    bigalfantasy2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It varies from person to person and also how fast you lose weight and if you lose 100 pounds or more. My sister-in-law who had the lap band surgery and lost around 200 lbs was told by her doctor that her loose skin will eventually tighten back up but it might take around 2 years since she lost so much weight.
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 lbs and I don't think I have any saggy skin yet. I still have a lot to lose but I think it all deals with genetics and speed of weight loss. I have also been doing some strength training.
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    I think I heard somewhere to keep well moisturized. But I think the question to ask is "Does it really matter?" Yes, it might not be attractive but it will be so much healthier to have a flap of saggy empty skin than a sack full of fat, right? Keep the big HEALTHY picture in mind, not the vain one.

If you're really obsessing about it, ask yourself if you're using it as an excuse to fail? I only ask because I'm great at making half-assed attempts at things and already having a list of reasons why I didn't really want to succeed anyway so that it doesn't hurt so much when I fail. But that's a whole other story that's entirely too defeatist to get into.

All that matters is that you don't let a silly little fear like this stop you from getting healthier and being the best you that you can be, saggy flaps and all :o)
  • nitarongish
    nitarongish Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am a self-taught aromatherapist of 10 years. Absolutely there is something...The essential oil of Black Pepper (among many others), is great for tightening and toning the skin. You have to use it in a carrier oil, like jojoba, or my favorite, apricot oil. You add 30 drops of the essential oil to 1 oz. of carrier oil. You can get these products through a health food store. But make sure the essential oil says 100% Pure, and or the name of it is in Latin along with the english name. If it doesn't say that, then the oil is synthetic and will not have any benefits. I made up a recipe with 6 different oils, I call it Circulation and use it as a full body rub morning and night. The oils also help with suppressing the appetite as well as balancing mood swings. Once you start using the essential oils, you'll find you don't want to be without them. As with most essential oils, please use caution. Black Pepper can be irritating to sensitive skin, although you can test a small area and if you don't see redness, then you'll be fine. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.
  • nitarongish
    nitarongish Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to add what several others said, definitely pushing water and cardio exercises incorporated with the oils will help tremendously. You'll see stunning results!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It probably depends on how much you have to lose and how quickly you lose it. If you lose it slowly, your skin should bounce back. Possibly not as well as you might like if you're extremely obese. But if you lose weight very quickly, the skin may not bounce back.
  • red4560
    red4560 Posts: 32
    Options
    well I don't know about sagging skin but I have had experience with rapid weight gain or loss you get strech marks that don't go away for a looong looong time...
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I have lot 83 pounds so far and the skin is not hanging off me. It is a little loose, but not so much that I don't think it will tighten up with time. Basically if you are younger your skin is more resilient and will bounce back a great deal, but it takes time so don't try to lose the weight super fast, and when you have lost the weight give it time. Lifting weights may help, so say it does, I really don't know.
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your advice!! I apprecaite it so much to know that I am not alone out here lol. I will take your advice and keep all you have said in mind. Also if anyone needs more friends, I could alwys use some. i don't have much of a supposrt system here. Thank you
  • earthtorachel
    Options
    i lost 100lbs, took me 7 yrs and i needed to have some work done once I reached my goal but only for cosmetic reasons. just breast lift and mini tummy tuck to get things smooth again. of course i went and had two babies since then and put half of it back on but as i am losing, i am not seeing any loose skin. i think the key is a combination of slow loss and regular exercise.