Do you do custom or guided calorie goals?

Options
I'm just curious....do most of you go by the guided calorie goal MFP provides or do you set your own?

Replies

• Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I chose to do the guided calorie goals just because I didn't really know what I should be aiming for.
  • dfunk06
    dfunk06 Posts: 56
    Options
    I customized mine. I wanted more protein and fiber and less fat :)
  • Christie81
    Christie81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Mine is custom...I didn't like how MPF had them set up :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Custom, but I'm on a low carb diet, so I have to.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I custom mine, Mainly to drop the carbs down , should some more tweaking but i dont really pay attention to anything but cals and carbs so why bother.

I did try going by theirs when i first came on here, and gained 8 pounds, was too much carbs for me
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Custom. I know I need more fiber and protein than what they have as a basis. I also did less fat.
  • PaulaButHag
    PaulaButHag Posts: 38
    Options
    I am on a custom plan. I am under a doctor's supervision so my calorie intake is very low, with high protein and low carb. I have been doing this since April 6.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I follow the guided CALORIES, but certainly customized my macro nutrients, and some micro's. I wanted 0.5 grams per pound of body weight as a goal for my daily protein, that meant bumping to 30% of my calories for protein. Sodium I decreased to 2000mg (the new recommendations if you read them (The guidelines are aimed at those who are 51 and older, all African-Americans and anyone suffering from hypertension, diabetes, or chronic kidney disease. These people specifically need to reduce daily sodium intake to little more than 1500 mg with the rest of the population at 1 teaspoon or about 2,300 milligrams of sodium per day. ) I don't fall into any of the specific categories but I don't mind cutting my sodium. I no longer add salt to anything, and since i've cut back on the amount of processed food I'm eating I get way less most of the time anyway.
    Fiber goal is up to I think 35 or 40 grams per day as a goal, not that I get there regularly but I should, and I have the wheat bran and psyllium to do so.
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I do the guided, mainly because I'm not sure of what I should aim for. So far, it has served me well. I've lost over 20lbs so far. Don't let the red numbers scare you if you go over in protein and fiber. :D
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    I chose to do the guided calorie goals just because I didn't really know what I should be aiming for.

How do you adjust them for more protein less fat? thanks!
  • chasekilgannon
    Options
    I customized my calories, and my macros. Basically upped my protein and lowered carbs. I use a different equation than MFP and I will recalculate that when I meet goals in my weight. It wasn't completely different than the suggested, but enough that I felt it was hindering my weight loss.
  • carolineroo
    carolineroo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    how do you custom tweak the guides? I have tried but I dont seem to be able to do it. I am a bit useless with the computer.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    to customize your macro's click
    My Home... goals... change goals... custom/ guided... custom is what you'll need to change your ratios, IE I use 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein 2000mg sodium 40grams fiber
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    My Home... goals... change goals... custom/ guided... custom is what you'll need to change your ratios, IE I use 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein 2000mg sodium 40grams fiber

And don't for get to save, a silly simple thing but i frustrate my self by forgetting
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Set net calories at my MFP BMR (fits between a half pound and one pound loss/week per MFP, but using my TDEE from the slimfit site based on my lean mass, it's more like 1.2lbs/wk).

I also went with 50% carbs, 30% fat & 20% protien.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I follow MFP's calorie goal but definitely customize all other aspects.

MFP's default for protein (15%) of total calories is the bare minimum and in my opinion it's way too low. Protein is needed to help minimize muscle loss when operating at a calorie deficit. I have mine set to 50/25/25% (carbs, protein, fat) but will soon increase protein to 30% and lower carbs to 45% as my strength training program kicks into gear.

MFP's default for fiber is dreadfully low. Aim for at least 25g per day. MFP's default for sodium is way too high. Aim for 2,000mg or less per day; if you have high blood pressure 1,500-1,800mg is better.

If you have underlying health issues, other tweaks might to in order. For example, a lower cholesterol or sugar goal.
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options

Thanks !
  • kentstrahlen
    kentstrahlen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously considering custom. I have been loosing weight faster than my goal. To me that means that my base calorie consumption is higher that MFP suggests. I'm not very interested in turbo fast weight loss, more in getting a sustainable lower weight than now. I did get a banner that now when I have lost weight so fast my goal would be adjusted but it was adjusted DOWN, not up (reflecting my new weight). I am really frustrated by this.

If I add to my averega calorie intake per day (average weight loss per day -average weight loss per day according to goal)*3550cal/pound-(average calories under calorie goal per day) I guess I should get something more accurate?
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I use MFP's suggested calories goal but I have recently customized my nutrients goal. I'm now aiming for 40-30-30 (CPF).
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I customized mine to follow the guidelines in Tom Venuto's book, Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle. I needed more calories, more protein, less carbs, and less fat.