Zero calorie drinks???

mangaso
mangaso Posts: 21
edited September 27 in Food and Nutrition
Is it ok to figure in my water intake with drinks like Propel zero. and others?
comments? advice? drunken ramblings?

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    I, personally, don't think it's OK. But some might disagree with me. From what I've found, nothing flushes toxins like plain water. Flavored water really only aids hydration.
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    I've been drinking water with some Mio in it lately, it's pretty good!
  • lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    I don't think anything with sweetner/splenda or any other artificial sugars can be counted in the water category!
  • angelquest
    angelquest Posts: 15
    Found this online....makes sense to me!:

**** "Whatever you drink gets mixed in with whatever you eat. The body doesn't really separate out the water from other stuff and count only the "pure" water.

After being mixed with food in the stomach, the water/food slurry goes into the intestines, where it passes through the intestinal lining. How much passes through, and when, depends on precisely what part of the intestine you're talking about, and what substances are dissolved in it. Gatorade was specifically formulated to try to bring the water through more quickly by providing a particular balance of sugars and salts.

But a different composition will still get through, and Crystal Light is no exception. Crystal Light contains sucralose, which passes through the gut lining along with the water, in roughly the same way sugar does. The difference is that when it hits the liver it can't be broken down to form energy. But the water still passes into the bloodstream, where it does all of the great things that water does in the body (absorb waste products, hydrate cells, provide a medium for chemical reactions, carry nutrients, etc.)

All of which is a long way of saying, it doesn't matter what you dump into the water. Water's water, whether it's pure, chicken soup, coffee, or crystal light. *****
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    I don't think anything with sweetner/splenda or any other artificial sugars can be counted in the water category!

I don't think this is accurate. (Though I don't think artificial sweeteners are very good.)
  • erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    I m in love with Vitamin Water Zero.
This discussion has been closed.