To those who lost weight??

Options
valcala23
valcala23 Posts: 35 Member
edited April 2015 in Success Stories
Did you do cardio or lift i hear a mixture of cardio is best to lifting is the best.. Which is better recommended for weight loss?

Replies

• ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    The biggest aspect is marinating a deficit of calories. You have to eat less than you burn.

I am 50 pounds down. I started just with tracking food, then added cardio (due to personal preference), and I will be starting strength training too soon. My approach had been to slowly add additional aspects, so I don't feel overwhelmed and so I can adapt.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I lost weight from my calorie deficit. I lifted to maintain muscle mass, which allowed me to look a bit nicer and smaller at higher weights (or so I believe). No cardio goals-I do it to eat a little more or pad my deficit. A mixture of the two is great.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    valcala23 wrote: »
    Did you do cardio or lift i hear a mixture of cardio is best to lifting is the best.. Which is better recommended for weight loss?

I've lost almost 60lbs and I didn't do a minute of exercise during the process-lost the weight by CICO/IF.
  • pinksky91
    pinksky91 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I've lost almost 60lbs and I didn't do a minute of exercise during the process-lost the weight by CICO/IF.

Hi sorry still learning the losi g weight lingo haha. What does CICO/IF stand for?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    CICO means "Calories In, Calories Out", so as long as you burn more calories than you eat, you will lose weight. No idea what IF means.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    CICO means "Calories In, Calories Out", so as long as you burn more calories than you eat, you will lose weight. No idea what IF means.

Intermittent fasting
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Intermittent fasting

Thanks. I actually knew that, but forgot. Too many acronyms for an old lady :smile:
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Your deficit is paramount and that can be created through moderating consumption, but if you exercise as well it can make the whole task easier. Excercise brings many benefits, not just in burning calories (you have to do a lot of exercise to burn significant amounts or it has to be very intense. What you can do is assist your metabolic rate as well as getting healthier/ fitter/ faster/ stronger.

Just because you are a healthy weight doesnt mean you are healthy, so look at it as an opporunity to get fit. Do a mix of cardio and resistance because they offer different benefits.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit for weight loss. Cardio to help the deficit and for your health. Lifting, to maintain muscle mass while losing.
  • kayte660
    kayte660 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I run steady pace two days a week, HIIT sprints for shorter distances 2 days, and alternate arm and leg day lifting. Plus obviously try to eat at 15% below my TDEE, and it's worked great. Lost weight and maintained tone to my body.
  • valcala23
    Options
    pinksky91 wrote: »

Hi sorry still learning the losi g weight lingo haha. What does CICO/IF stand for?
    Have no idea either i spelled it out i think calories in calories out maybe i dont know if part tho
  • valcala23
    Options
    kayte660 wrote: »
    I run steady pace two days a week, HIIT sprints for shorter distances 2 days, and alternate arm and leg day lifting. Plus obviously try to eat at 15% below my TDEE, and it's worked great. Lost weight and maintained tone to my body.

Nice thanx for info
  • valcala23
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Caloric deficit for weight loss. Cardio to help the deficit and for your health. Lifting, to maintain muscle mass while losing.

Thx for info
  • valcala23
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Your deficit is paramount and that can be created through moderating consumption, but if you exercise as well it can make the whole task easier. Excercise brings many benefits, not just in burning calories (you have to do a lot of exercise to burn significant amounts or it has to be very intense. What you can do is assist your metabolic rate as well as getting healthier/ fitter/ faster/ stronger.

Just because you are a healthy weight doesnt mean you are healthy, so look at it as an opporunity to get fit. Do a mix of cardio and resistance because they offer different benefits.

Thnx for info good advice
  • valcala23
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I lost weight from my calorie deficit. I lifted to maintain muscle mass, which allowed me to look a bit nicer and smaller at higher weights (or so I believe). No cardio goals-I do it to eat a little more or pad my deficit. A mixture of the two is great.

Nice thx for info
  • vrkyllonen
    vrkyllonen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    don"t set your calorie deficit too low or weight loss will hit a wall if you are working out/exercising alot
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!