Question for people using Ketone strips

Options
Second time I pee'd on my ketone test strips and they are 1 step above low ;0( I am not eating a whole lot of carbs here....like no more than 40g....why am I not going into ketosis this time.....guess I am gonna have to just buckle down even more?

How long did it take for your body to go into ketosis and what was your carb intake when you were in ketosis....I am just curious.

Also, I know that there are alot of people who do not agree with low carb eating. I have done my research and prefer to hear from people who are also eating this way. Thank you.

Replies

• Mimigurken
    Mimigurken Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's just an indicator, not a tool. As long as it turns you're fine. I started at under 20 gr/ day and when I slowly added carbs it turned the same color with 70 gr/ day 3 months later. Please remember to take your supplements every day.
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Pardon my ignorance. What are Ketone strips?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I don't use the strips, but I found I have to keep my carbs at 20g. 40g would probably be too high for me.

And I've read that it can take 3-4 days to get back into ketosis.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I don't use the strips, but I found I have to keep my carbs at 20g. 40g would probably be too high for me.

And I've read that it can take 3-4 days to get back into ketosis.

Thanks, just sent you this same message in private :)
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    They are strips you get at the pharmacy to measure whether your body is in ketosis, which is where us low carbers want to be to lose stored fats. When in ketosis, the body goes to stored fat to get it's energy....since we are not eating alot of carbs, which is what it will usually use. If in ketosis your weight loss will be pretty steady.
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    It's just an indicator, not a tool. As long as it turns you're fine. I started at under 20 gr/ day and when I slowly added carbs it turned the same color with 70 gr/ day 3 months later. Please remember to take your supplements every day.

I am taking my supplements.....thanks for the reminder I am late on em today :)
  • jlmoss1973
    jlmoss1973 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Time of day effects the result. If you test in the early afternoon there will be a difference from a morning test. Additionally if you've had any alcohol sugars your test strip might not change though you are still burning. One last thing that I've found as a female....The Ketone reading depends on my hormone cycle. My doctor says there are metabolic changes that naturally take place so that will affect what you see as a test result. So take the test at the same time each day and don't worry I'm sure over time you'll feel great!:smile:
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    Time of day effects the result. If you test in the early afternoon there will be a difference from a morning test. Additionally if you've had any alcohol sugars your test strip might not change though you are still burning. One last thing that I've found as a female....The Ketone reading depends on my hormone cycle. My doctor says there are metabolic changes that naturally take place so that will affect what you see as a test result. So take the test at the same time each day and don't worry I'm sure over time you'll feel great!:smile:

Thanks, I am glad to be 1 step above "nothing" so, at least I know I am moving...and I know they are working cause my turd husband is "moderate".....will maybe just get into 20 grams for a few days and retest then....goal to stay in the fuscia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the tips.
  • irishkittykatt
    Options
    My doctor told me if they turn at all, you are in ketosis. If they turn dark, you are not drinking enough water. :o)
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I am trying out a couple weeks of ketosis (maybe longer, just seeing how i feel) or at least trying to. I kept my carbs under 40 grams for four days, and nata. so yesterday under 20, and i'm going to keep them under 20 today too. we'll see if that helps. I've also been working out everyday and testing first thing in the morning, so i don't get it. and my honey tested for moderate after eating less than 100 carbs for two days. crazy.

I'm thinking it might have something to do with my insulin resistance. I wasn't doing a very good job of every burning fat for energy b/c of my sugar problems, so i know it might take longer to get my body switched over. All the more confirmation that this is what i need to "reset" my metabolism.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Try keeping them at 20 (net) grams for one week. That should definitely put you in ketosis. And do remember it goes in degrees - I'm still in mild ketosis even at 50g intake.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Ok,
    Ketones are actually a family of metabolic fat breakdown products. The strips respond best to acetone in the urine. If you have ANY measured in the urine, you are in ketosis. Darker isn't better than lighter! In fact, as noted above, it really is an indication of dehydration, not of a better metabolic state.Keep the strips dry and in the container they came in. They are sensitive to moisture and light.
  • bitty1taz
    bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    So do you just get the strips in your local Pharmacy? Around what items are they to be found?
    Thanks!
  • MissKim
    Options
    So do you just get the strips in your local Pharmacy? Around what items are they to be found?
    Thanks!

got mine at cvs, on one of aisles, wanna say close to the diabetes testing supplies.
  • MissKim
    Options
    Ok,
    Ketones are actually a family of metabolic fat breakdown products. The strips respond best to acetone in the urine. If you have ANY measured in the urine, you are in ketosis. Darker isn't better than lighter! In fact, as noted above, it really is an indication of dehydration, not of a better metabolic state.Keep the strips dry and in the container they came in. They are sensitive to moisture and light.

thanks for the addition, but how come my boyfriend can produce small amounts when he isn't eating low carb at all then?? but i produce none while eating low carb.
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    Thanks!

I asked the pharmacist, they kept them behind the counter at my walgreens.....
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Ok,

thanks for the addition, but how come my boyfriend can produce small amounts when he isn't eating low carb at all then?? but i produce none while eating low carb.

Is he under any calorie deficit or was he fasting? That'll do it, too.