Cardio that doesn't involve lower body?

Options
What would you suggest to someone that cannot run anymore and even walking is a challenge at times? I am sure some would say swimming, but not a big fan of it or good at it.

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Water aerobics? Pool running? Recumbent stationary biking? Or hey--what about signing yourself up for some private swim lessons to *get* good at it? (You might find you enjoy it more once you know what you're doing. I don't know, just a thought.)

Probably some people will recommend yoga or Pilates, but in my mind those are in a completely different category than cardio like running or walking.

Also, is heavy lifting/strength training out, too? If not, you might find fulfillment in that direction, instead.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,008 Member
    Options
    Try the battling ropes, not sure if that's the real name but picture where you have the end of a rope in each hand and swing them up and down, sending the slack down the line. Lots of shoulder-intense work.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    heis4u2004 wrote: »
    What would you suggest to someone that cannot run anymore and even walking is a challenge at times? I am sure some would say swimming, but not a big fan of it or good at it.
    Boxing or kickboxing on a bag with gloves.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What's wrong, why can't you walk or run (which parts are affected)?

Rowing is *amazing*, great cardio and full-body workout, and cycling isn't bad either, if you can swing those. With rowing you're still pushing through your feet and using your knees, it's just that it's non-impact. Most people with knee problems can cycle, that's often recommended.

(I do cycling, elliptical and walking with chronic knee and ankle issues, would row and swim but have some upper body stuff too. What I do is trade things off. So I'll do e.g. 30-45 mins on the bike, then swap over to elliptical or treadmill for a bit. Or the other way around. Some days one is easier than another. If there's any pain, I stop immediately.)
  • maryjane28
    maryjane28 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    jump rope and rowing are both good options
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Without knowing exactly why you can’t even walk, it is difficult to know what you can do. Cardio with just the arms is not all that effective except in the very, very untrained.
  • heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Osteitis pubis (pubic bone shift at the symphysis causing pain with each step), spondylolisthesis (L5 veterbra not attached to spine, and slipped forward) and knee issues.
    I currently do some restorative yoga and spend some time sort of inverted with my legs up a wall while lying down. I have a few good days here and there where I am able to walk maybe 15 minutes or so at a slow pace. I also lift weights to keep my upper body strong.
  • heis4u2004
    Options
    And I am taking joint supplements which seems to be helping some.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I know you said you don't like swimming, but in your place, I'd sure try it. I've been swimming for 20 yrs, and started from scratch. I see alot of people of all ages taking lessons at the pool, both collective lessons and private. With your leg problems, it doesn't sound as if it's going to get better soon. You can swim using just your arms, and if you do use leg movements it might reinforce those ligaments---what does your doctor say? I also do acqua gym and it's a good workout (head above water). Whatever you decide, best of luck. B)
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Some gyms have a "hand bike". Because I get so little upper body related cardio, I use it occasionally and can work up a real sweat.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Can you cycle at all? I realise that may sound dumb when you say you can't walk but not sure if it is the motion or the act of the foot hitting the floor that is the issue.
    Also the hand bike suggestion is good.
    And I think you can get a thing like a loop of rope which you pull round, that might work
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Well that sounds painful. Way to go for wanting to keep up with the working out! There's that machine most gym keep near the bikes where you grab the handles and spin. Like a bicycle for your arms. You can burn a lot of calories doing it.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If you have access, a water aerobics class might work well for you. They have water weights that allow you to apply resistance as you move and you’re moving your whole body (without the jarring and is not full body weight on your back and knees).

• heis4u2004
    Options
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The hand boke is the krankl machine, pedal with your hands and some gyms have the rope machine, which both involve upper body only. The rower would give you all the cardio you want, but it depends on the level of your limitations. You just need to be able to slide back and forth plus flex your knees and push off. It uses your legs a lot but the movement is back and forth.
  • clairedrose
    clairedrose Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I just saw this and OP might not be around, but I also have Spondylolisthesis pars defect at L5/S1, herniated disc, synovial cysts and bad sciatica as a result. It became much worse this year so I stopped walking, weight lifting, etc. Everything caused horrible pain. Unfortunately I gained 20 pounds quickly. I have recently discovered that a semi recumbent bike works for me! Yay. I am also trying to figure out what else I can do. I plan to check out the local pool though that is limiting as to times.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Sorry for your issues. Sounds painful. Ask doc for a referral to physical therapy. They should be able to give you safe and effective exercises for your conditions. That's their specialty. Good luck.