changing the carbs, protein, fat on MFP

Options
Hi! Hoping someone can help me. I recently went to an endocrinologist. She said I was more than likely "Carb sensitive." How many carbs should the average person eat in a day? How many should a "carb sensitive" person eat? Should I automatically increase my protein and fat or just protein? And, by how much? I'm so lost. If anyone can give me some guidance, I'd appreciate it!
Thanks!

Replies

• iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You need to go back to the endocrinologist and ask those questions of her. If she thinks you have a carbohydrate sensitivity, she should suggest correct macronutrient ratios in order to 1) test that idea and 2) reduce your sensitivity.

That said, 'low carb' for most people is around 100 grams of net carbs or less. On the extreme end, some people eat fewer than 20 grams of carbs per day. As a personal anecdote, I am pretty severely hypothyroid and have a sensitivity to carbs. I feel best when I eat up to 110-115 grams of net carbs per day, with around 100 grams protein and the rest of my calories to fats, typically around 60 grams.

Hopefully that gives you an idea to start, but you really should speak with your doctor again to get specific recommendations. Best of luck!
  • AnnieGuag
    AnnieGuag Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your quick response. She said that in response to me telling her that I literally fall asleep after eating sugary/high carb foods, my youngest son was born hyperglycemic and I was not diagnosed w/diabetes but later the docs suspected I probably had it during the pregnancy. My feet are constantly freezing and sometimes numb. My vision is terrible. (I wear reading glasses, but it has become ridiculous. Dr. said it was because I'm getting older.) My legs are swelling. She said I am retaining a little water and agrees my legs are "quite large" but equates that to my "abnormal weight gain." My fasting glucose was normal.. 99. My thyroid was apparently normal too. She is sending me for more blood work to test for more conclusive sugar and thyroid and also a cortisol test where I have to take a single pill at 11p and get my bloods drawn at 8:30am the next morning. She ended the appointment with the script for the blood work and told me that I was more than likely carb sensitive and that perhaps I should try the GI diet and that I should, "Shut your mouth and shake your booty."
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily have to subscribe to a particular diet, but I agree that it would be beneficial for you to look into the GI of carb-based foods so you can get a feel for which ones might be contributing to your problem. One plan you might want to look into is something like the South Beach diet, which is based on principles of the GI. It has you remove most simple carbs for a couple of weeks and add them back in slowly so you can get an idea of what you might be sensitive to. Now obviously I'm saying this immediately after telling you that you don't need to be a slave to a specific diet book, but if your doctor wants you to pay attention to the GI, South Beach is super livable and honestly really practical for most people in 'the real world.' Plus there's a really delicious dessert recipe that's whipped ricotta cheese with a smidge of almond and vanilla extracts. Yum!

It sounds like your doctor is pretty on top of things, so that's great!
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    The GI Diet is an actual thing you can google and read up on.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as insulin resistant by my endo as my fasting bg was 103. She recommended limiting carbohydrates from things like white bread, pasta, and sweets. She said to get more of my carbs from whole grains and vegetable.

Some days I'm very low on carbs, well below 100 but my goal is an average of 100 per day, I am feeling much better than I was previously.

Give your Dr a call and ask what they recommend for you, they should be able to offer some resources for more information as well.