Late night cravings

Options
I have noticed during the day I am on point calories- diet ect. After the sun goes down I get cravings like I'm a vampire needing to feed- I can hear the fridge's heartbeat drawing me closer. I know I need to be able to fight that urge but man it happens a lot.

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    2 questions - Are you eating too little during the day (earlier)? or Are you bored?

I have the late cravings mostly because I am settled on the coach and more bored than anything else. I started crocheting to keep my hands busy so they can't reach for snacks. I also found if I try to be too strict during the day I get ravenous at night.
  • kchezelle
    kchezelle Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Drink water, usually it's our body telling us we're thirsty not hungry
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Is it boredom? Maybe during the day it is easier since you are busier and keep your mind off food. Try distracting yourself. Or, you could just be truly hungry. I tend to get hungrier later in the day. Since I know this about myself, I tend to eat less earlier in the day and save more of my calorie for later, when I know I naturally get hungrier. You could try doing that for a few days and see how that works out for you :)
  • Marc1218
    Marc1218 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks I think I need to eat more during the day. And control myself at late night poker and TV time :). I am trying to turn this into a habit of not eating after 8pm even if hungry but it can be hard- water and drinks is is good way to go too.
  • darkriver2012
    darkriver2012 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I find that once my girl is in bed I am bored. So I usually raid the cupboard. I would try have a glass of water and maybe that would help.
  • bendis2007
    bendis2007 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    What kind of calories are you eating? If you're eating a high carbohydrate dinner , or even fruit that has a high sugar load, and you aren't getting the protein, healthy fats, and fiber to counterbalance that then you may be crashing from a sugar high after your last meal resulting in that craving more food before bed time.
    If you know you're going to snack in the evening, then try to plan ahead on what sort of snacks you have in the evening. I cut up carrot sticks and celery and have them ready to go in the fridge with measured hummus or a dip. I'll also have a piece of wheat toast with some avocado, lemon juice, and hot sauce on top. Or if it's been a rough day I'll have a serving of pretzels or a cookie. I try to pick higher fiber and fat foods at night time with little sugar plus a lot of water throughout the day, it seems to help and I've noticed my night time cravings have diminished quite a bit. I'm also short and put my snack food on the high shelves - making it more work to get them.