Breastfeeding and extra calorie intake

Options
anyone here a nursing mother or can help me figure out how many calories extra I need per day while exclusively nursing my child?

Replies

• slowestBurpeesEver
    slowestBurpeesEver Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I was nursing and doing Weight Watchers, I was allowed an extra 10 points for full time nursing. That's roughly 500 extra calories. I was eating at the top of my points range and the weight still flew off.

Be sure to scale down as your baby starts nursing less. My daughter abruptly stopped nursing after I had to go on a round of antibiotics, and I didn't adjust my food properly. The weight flew back on.
  • koza_loc
    koza_loc Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    According to MFP I should be eating 1200 to lose 1 lb a week, so adding 500 cal per day brings it to 1700. Does that sound like a good number?
  • sidrahhameed
    Options
    Me too breastfeeding me daughter but hasn't figured it out and would love to know too the answer
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
  • chezrated
    chezrated Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am exclusively breastfeeding my 11week old MFP also gave me 1200 calories I have added 300 for breastfeeding but tend to eat 1500 as eat back some exercise calories. Not at all sure if I am doing it right
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

This
  • Erin_Graves
    Erin_Graves Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was told 500 calories by a nutritionist I saw after my first baby and I was losing regularly (I was doing WW at the time)
  • csec6pak
    csec6pak Posts: 54 Member
    Options

It will depend on the age of your baby and how big they are.

Breastmilk is 20 calories per ounce. A 6 month old is usually eating somewhere between 20 and 30 ounces a day. So you would be adding 400-600 calories at that point.

• emmavagg
    emmavagg Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am exclusively bf my 17 week old and I try to stay at around 1700. My tips would be to weigh everything and I mean everything and make sure yet keep your fluids up :) good luck and I have sent you a friend request
  • koza_loc
    Options
    I have a 8 month old who is exclusively breastfed. We only give her a little bit of solids to try, but not enough to call it a meal. With breastfeeding it's sometimes so hard to stay under 1700. I can do it, but by the end of the day I'm starving. This is my second time breastfeeding. My first I started losing the weight as soon as I got my cycle back at 6 months postpartum. This time around I'm still retaining the weight, and no cycle so far. I'm thinking it also has to do with hormones. Anyone else feel this way?
  • emmavagg
    emmavagg Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? I found that it really helped me. I also get extremely hungry sometimes so I do go over my calories. This is my second time bf too and I have found the weight easier to shift than with my first so maybe its different with each baby. I think tiredness doesn't help dieting as I tend to make bad choices when I am sleep deprived :s
  • koza_loc
    Options
    I don't have a scale to weigh my food but I will look in to it. :)
  • koza_loc
    Options
    qtumm4s365jk.jpg

Me currently! I'm dying to shed this baby weight.
  • kyliejean292
    kyliejean292 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation. First son the weight just flew off...this time I am struggling. It is around 500-600 extra calories a day if you are nursing/pumping full time (day and night). I am only pumping part time (just during day) so I add an additional 250 to 300 to my calories. Drink plenty of water! I am usually STARVING after I pump so I always eat a snack afterwords. Like yogurt, apple & peanut butter. My main problem is craving milk and dairy products which of course is high in calories. I am taking vitamins and vitamin d for better calcium absorption...but still can drink a gallon of whole milk a day!