How many calories to gain weight?

Options
alebunny5798
alebunny5798 Posts: 3 Member
Hello, I have some quick questions to ask.
First of all I am a 19 year old girl, I am 5'5 and I currently weigh 105 lbs. (I know that is slightly underweight) I started off on myfitnesspal eating around 1250 calories last year, this January I increased to 1350, and just last week to 1400-1450. My weight keeps very slowly going down, but now I am not exactly sure I want to keep losing. My question is, how many calories should I eat to slowly gain some weight? I'd like to do it slow and steady (maybe 0.5 lbs a week) but I am not sure how to go about it.
Thank you all in advance! :)

Edit: I should add that I am a university student and I walk quite a lot most days of the week, I run around 10 miles a week, and I incorporate lifting and weights around 3 days a week :)

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi

Go to Scooby's calculator and put your stats in. To gain half a pound you need to add 1750 calories per week that's 250 extra per day.

Or you can try easing up 100 more a day in weekly increments and see where you start to level off, then that will be maintenance, then go from there.

When you start to eat more food, you will gain weight JUST from the accumulation of more food and water in your system, more glycogen in your liver and muscles, more blood volume, it's important to remember it's NOT fat gain. That's why you need to find maintenance so you don't freak out and think you're eating too much.

Try and incorporate a recognised progressive weight lifting routine so you add muscle. Eat 100g at least of protein per day.

Good luck!

I've had a little look, and you are way under eating, you should be on about 2047 per day.

Also, you are in the danger zone of low underweight BMI at 17.1. Safe range for you is around 113-151lb.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
  • cleaver1
    cleaver1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Good post Springfield. I agree 100%.

Good luck!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Spring Field has given you the best advice you can get. You really need to increase your calories but I would do it slowly to get back to where you are without risking a large weight gain at once because this might cause you to panic. Add about 100 or 200 calories a day each week until you start to gain. Weight training will help you add muscle and give you a great overall look.

Good luck to you.
  • muscledaveSJC
    muscledaveSJC Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have some quick questions to ask.
    First of all I am a 19 year old girl, I am 5'5 and I currently weigh 105 lbs. (I know that is slightly underweight) I started off on myfitnesspal eating around 1250 calories last year, this January I increased to 1350, and just last week to 1400-1450. My weight keeps very slowly going down, but now I am not exactly sure I want to keep losing. My question is, how many calories should I eat to slowly gain some weight? I'd like to do it slow and steady (maybe 0.5 lbs a week) but I am not sure how to go about it.
    Thank you all in advance! :)

Edit: I should add that I am a university student and I walk quite a lot most days of the week, I run around 10 miles a week, and I incorporate lifting and weights around 3 days a week :)

• muscledaveSJC
    muscledaveSJC Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Your cardio is through the roof, you need to resupply with starches before and after you run. You are young and have a high metabolism, calories should be up too around 2000.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Hi

Go to Scooby's calculator and put your stats in. To gain half a pound you need to add 1750 calories per week that's 250 extra per day.

Or you can try easing up 100 more a day in weekly increments and see where you start to level off, then that will be maintenance, then go from there.

When you start to eat more food, you will gain weight JUST from the accumulation of more food and water in your system, more glycogen in your liver and muscles, more blood volume, it's important to remember it's NOT fat gain. That's why you need to find maintenance so you don't freak out and think you're eating too much.

Try and incorporate a recognised progressive weight lifting routine so you add muscle. Eat 100g at least of protein per day.

Good luck!

I've had a little look, and you are way under eating, you should be on about 2047 per day.

Also, you are in the danger zone of low underweight BMI at 17.1. Safe range for you is around 113-151lb.

cosigned..

make sure that you are on a structured lifting program, I would suggest looking into starting strength, new rules of lifting for woman, or strong lifts..
  • calebgaines15
    calebgaines15 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I know your struggle because of my fast metabolism I have to eat 3000 calories a day and it's just like....HARD lol
  • Brohan_Son
    Options
    Hmm I think because of all the cardio you do your weight progress is slow. Add more calories to sub for the cardio and you should see results. You can add 2tbsp of pb which is around 200cals a day and that should put you above maintenance