Feeling a bit discouraged today...

Options
On Monday, I began my life turn around. I have been eating clean, drinking close to 3 liters of water, went to the gym Mon-Thurs, averaged 525 calories burned a day from the stationary bike, as well as some circuit training. I feel good, I feel energetic, I feel strong. I feel healthier by far. But my problem is this, I weighed in Monday at 308.5, YIKES! Then Tuesday, 305.8. Cool. I usually lose anywhere from 2-4 pounds the first day I "try" and change my diet/exercise.

But then, from Tuesday to Thursday, and this part might be "graphic" for some, but I didn't have a bowel movement. Friday a little bit finally. I weighed myself this morning, 308.6... what the hell!!! Is it because I have been so backed up?

I did eat a small meal last night pretty late, but I was WAY under my calorie goal for the day. I've been hitting it hard at the gym. Am I just being impatient? What can I do differently? Thanks gang!

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of fluctuations from one day to the next. Just look for the long term trend.
  • marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Its going to take some time before you see some improvements. I wouldn't stay so close to the scale. I would do it once a week. I fear that you will become dependent on the scale and emotions are attached. Listen to your body. I have heard that when you start a new diet, to take a fiber laxative too to get all that out. Good luck!
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    One week? Yeah impatient!
    You will read a lot of ladies bemoaning water retention, but it happens to dudes too!

That 3lbs you lost was all water. You sweated it out. Water is HEAVY!

You just got some water back in ya

Oh, and the poop thing, more water dude! And eat some fats if you weren't. If you aren't feeling stopped up then welcome to your new normal!

Really though. One week ONE WEEK. Try longer, this is for your life, not the next 10 minutes
  • SleepingFox
    SleepingFox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In any given day, my body weight fluctuates up or down two pounds. I am sure most of us are the same. You are in this for the journey, for the long haul: do not give up or feel discouraged! Your healthy life has just begun. :)
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a month (usually a week after TOM) and always see a loss. Daily fluctuations are totally normal. This all takes time. You've started some great habits. Keep up the good work.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,679 Member
    Options
    Weightgrapher.com.
    Trendweight.com

Please see other post from gentleman losing weight too fast for explanation of water weight. In terms of being backed up, of course it makes a difference.

Take the time to go through the getting started section and the sexypants post. And the how to weigh your food accurately posts.

As far as weight loss is concerned, if you spend more calories than you absorb, you will lose weight. What works best to sustainably achieve an energy deficit varies from person to person. Some people eat "clean", some "dirty", some moderate everything, low fat, some low carb, some no chocolate, some exercise, some just move more in their daily lives. And multiple combinations of the above.

It sounds like you have a longer journey as opposed to a short dash ahead of you. Use the time you have to find out what will work for you long term!
  • janethayden74
    janethayden74 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. Try not weighing yourself so frequently.also ,your body may not be used to all the clean eating that you are doing .have yourself a cup of coffee or whatever gets you going and once you are able to start going regularly you will see a difference.:) we didn't get this way overnight
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Weigh ALL your solid food on a food scale , measure all your ( calorie holding) liquids.
    Be patient
    Be consistent, determent, and happy

And you WILL lose weight.

This is how i lost my 85 pounds till now :)

You can do this too!
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Tonnes of good advice here from the others, so just one little snippet from me; -
    Had you not weighed yourself today, would you have still felt discouraged?
    I suspect not - you have been keeping within your limits, you have been going to the gym and I bet, knowing you had been doing all that was 'right' you would have felt perfectly fine about yourself and how things were going......and you would have been a happy camper today .

Step on the scales though, see a number that is not to your liking or expectation and suddenly what has been a good week suddenly loses its lustre and you feel down and discouraged. All because of a number which, sorry, in the scheme of things, and so early on, means jack *kitten*...... figuratively as well as literally!

Best advice if those numbers have such an effect is to keep them rationed! Once every 2 weeks maybe? Some even suggest a month......but the general idea is there. If they can invoke negative emotions that can affect your day and your motivation even when everything else is 'right', then they need to be treated carefully.

Fluctuations as normal and we all need to accept them. Call them f*cktuations (!!) if you will, but don't let them derail you....Best of luck!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. There are fluctuations. Water weight, constipation, more food in the gut, etc. etc. Look at the long term goal. Look at the weight loss chart under Reports. As long as you see a downward trend, you will be doing good! Besides, you aren't even a week into this! Give it time!

Also, you say you are eating "clean", but are you eating less? You have to have a calorie deficit.

If after a month of eating at a deficit, you are up from your highest rather than at a lower weight, you can then worry about what you are doing wrong!
  • VikingArcadeZero
    Options
    You guys rock so hard!!! I knew it was just a dumb impatient urge. Thank you to all of you!!
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It's easy to get discouraged: I've felt the same way over the last week. I weighed less last week, but I've increased my physical activity and sometimes that can cause fluctuations on the scale. I have to keep telling myself that I will be thankful 3 months from now and try to not focus so much on seeing instant results. Weight loss is slow unfortunately, unless you are willing to take drastic measures. I kind of have diet fatigue from years of dieting so drastic measures are out of the question for me. I just have to suck it up and keep chipping away.