Pilates Instructors!

Options
I have looked this up online and aside from cost, I can't find a real, clear answer as to how to pursue a pilates certification. The sites I have gone to offer online classes that are paid for upfront...but then what? Isn't there something I need to do in person, or classes to attend locally? What I'm finding seems too simple. Can anyone help me out? Thank you!

Replies

• LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I just got certified to teach yoga, but the studio where I was certified also runs a similar pilates program. From what I experienced when I was certified, I can say that online teaching would be entirely unsuitable for pursuing a pilates OR a yoga teacher certification. Too much of the actual work and knowledge base requires hands-on learning of poses, adjustments and, of course, the mechanics and alignment principles in addition to requiring an extensive personal practice to learn what it is you will teach. Any place that is telling you that you can learn online is lying to you to get your money.

ETA: My teacher course required 200 hours of class time over six months plus a very steep yoga class requirement that included attending classes in iyengar, vinyasa, the in-house teaching method, beginners and advanced classes. I basically spent six months at that studio and I can't say enough good things about it.
  • HappyQuella
    HappyQuella Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    See, something like that makes more sense. Thank you. I will have to take a look at what some local studios offer.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    No problem. I recommend actually going to a few studios to take classes and check out the teachers. When you find one you love (not like, but love- these courses are waaaaay too expensive to not find something that suits you 100%), talk to them about their experience and get their advice on places to take your course. That's what I did, and I ended up taking the course taught by the best yoga teacher I've ever had in over a decade of taking yoga classes. It was truly inspiring, and that's what they should all be!