help with meals that make me actually full

Options
tiffanyfoundit
tiffanyfoundit Posts: 130 Member
I am trying to figure out good meals that will actually fill me up. I fill like I have been just hungry forever and I can't get filled up. I know I am in a transition mode to adjusting to less calories, but there has got to be something to make me feel like I am not gonna be hungry after an hour and that does not have a lot of calories.

I am open to pretty much any suggestion of meal, minus things with mushrooms since I am allergic.

If you have any ideas, let me know! :smile:

Replies

• Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm not suggesting you don't already, but the first sign of thirst is hunger, you may just not be drinking enough. Failing that eat little and often. Nuts, fruit, wholemeal pittas, etc etc
  • thonickman
    Options
    Here's a new favorite for me. Container of three cheese tortellini I from refr section mixed with a jar of spaghetti sauce of your choice. Mix and put in casserole dish and add a pig of raw chicken tenders- kinda smush in the sauce. Bake 375 for 20 min take out and add mozzarella cheese on top and put back in oven 5 or 10 min. Easy and satisfying and leftovers!!
  • thonickman
    Options
    Sorry. Not pig. That was pkg. that got typo- sorry!!!!
  • thonickman
    Options
    Chobani Greek yogurt with the steel cut oats is a good mid morning snack. Filling, fiber and protein.
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    thonickman wrote: »
    Here's a new favorite for me. Container of three cheese tortellini I from refr section mixed with a jar of spaghetti sauce of your choice. Mix and put in casserole dish and add a pig of raw chicken tenders- kinda smush in the sauce. Bake 375 for 20 min take out and add mozzarella cheese on top and put back in oven 5 or 10 min. Easy and satisfying and leftovers!!

This sounds really heavy and calorie dense don't you think? Maybe after a hard work out I would suggest this.
  • kamelew
    kamelew Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not one of the best things you can add to curb hunger is Fat- yes Fat! So 1 serving of healthy fats- Avocado is my favorite- coconut oil!, nuts -or just yes I am not afraid to say it - some cheese. Also I use Chobani 4% yogurt with some fruit ( and sometime a little agave syrup) in the morning with oats Not the Fat Free kind!
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Try to make sure you are getting enough fiber, especially at breakfast! Oatmeal with fruit and milk fills me up for a really long time for a moderate amount of calories.
  • steffydill
    steffydill Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Make a lentil soup, tin of green lentils, pint of veggie stock, carrots X2 cut up diced very small, courgette diced , tin of chopped tomatoes, tin of kidney beans, red pepper diced, Worcester shire sauce to taste, pepper to season. Cook the carrots in Stock for 10 min, Chuck in rest of ingredients, also add any other veg you fancy, really filling tastes yummy and slow release energy and low calorie, my go to food when hungry. Eat it anytime and keeps you full xx
  • tiffanyfoundit
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll definitely be using this when I am making meals. :smile:
  • JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Pelamblue wrote: »
    thonickman wrote: »

This sounds really heavy and calorie dense don't you think? Maybe after a hard work out I would suggest this.

I would have to agree. None of those are really low cal foods. Does sound like a good "cheat" dinner or something though.
  • JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    kamelew wrote: »
    Believe it or not one of the best things you can add to curb hunger is Fat- yes Fat! So 1 serving of healthy fats- Avocado is my favorite- coconut oil!, nuts -or just yes I am not afraid to say it - some cheese. Also I use Chobani 4% yogurt with some fruit ( and sometime a little agave syrup) in the morning with oats Not the Fat Free kind!

^^Agree to this.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I try to have loads of veg with my lunch/dinner, the extra chewing a bowlful of salad leaves (which, without dressing I just use salt&pepper most of the time, is under 50 calories!) helps me feel full. Overnight oats for breakfast (actually any fairly large satisfying breakfast) stops me snacking or craving lunch too early.
  • tiffanyfoundit
    Options
    I was doing the overnight oats before I was on here. I haven't been doing that since I started logging at all. Any specific recipes in mind?
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Beans beans good for your heart the more you eat em the more you ++++! Yes, seriously beans are mega filling. Any type really! My second choice would be eggs. Also potatoes, but to have a good baked potato for me means putting high calorie stuff on it!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I do something similar as the above mentioned dish but use less pasta, an entire container of frozen spinach, 8-16oz of mushrooms, a large pepper, a large onion, marinara and a small amount of cheese. Because there are so many vegetables, our large casserole is about 50% non-starchy vegetable and ends up being fewer calories per serving.
    That's the way I eat large meals that are really filling - I try to incorporate 50% vegetables into everything including burgers, nuggets, meatballs, meatloaf, burritos, chili, soup/stew, etc. I have a child so it was the easiest way to always make sure she's eating vegetables and that we're all getting nutritious foods.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Whole grains fill you up, are nourishing, and cheap. Last night we had a side dish of bulgur wheat tossed with olives, capers and some feta cheese. Nom, nom, nom. Next to a 4 oz. portion of tuna and a pile of green beans it was the bomb!

Oh, and google "savory oatmeal" for lots of great ideas. We love oatmeal mushroom "risotto."
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Beans beans good for your heart the more you eat em the more you ++++! Yes, seriously beans are mega filling. Any type really! My second choice would be eggs. Also potatoes, but to have a good baked potato for me means putting high calorie stuff on it!

The one I learned (from my grandpa ;)) was "beans, beans, the musical fruit--The more ya eat, the more ya toot! The more ya toot, the better ya feel, so eat your beans and have a jolly meal!!" ;)

OP, I try to get a good macro balance when I'm hungry. High fiber, high protein, and moderate fat in each meal. I go for veggie-based soups with chicken or beef, chilli with kidney beans over a big ole bowl of lettuce, chicken sandwiches on whole wheat with full fat cheese and marinara sauce, oatmeal with cocoa and peanut butter, veggie burgers made with chickpeas and tahini... There are a lot of options! :)
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Try starting a meal with veggie soup (winter) or a salad w/ balsamic vinegar or gazapcho (summer). These also make great low calorie snacks. I also find I fill up faster on spicy foods for some reason.
  • Martinez83014
    Martinez83014 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    One piece of wheat toast with one tablespoon of sugar free strawberry jelly and half a kiwi sliced and placed on top of jelly. Put about a third of a cup of fat free vanilla greek yogurt into the corner of a ziplock bag and cut a tiny hole. Drizzle the yogurt over the top evenly. Fills me up, tastes awesome, and keeps me full till lunch. Also the yogurt kinda feels and tastes like cream cheese when paired with the toast so it makes me feel like I'm cheating.
  • Martinez83014
    Martinez83014 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This is a good one too. One whole wheat sandwich thin roll (100 calories), 1/4 of a hass avocado (25 calories), 2oz sliced smoked turkey breast (50 calories), 2 tbsp of totinos spinach dip (50 calories). Make a delicious sandwich with the above ingredients. I prefer it with the roll toasted. The whole grains, healthy fat, and protein keep You Nice and full. The spinach dip is less than 1/2 the calories of mayo and helps with the texture and flavor. This is my go to for both lunch and dinner when I'm starving to death and couldn't dream of waiting long enough to cook.