Uk people! Can i eat chip shop food and still lose?

Options
aniqa109
aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
Hi all
my main weakness is i love food like chicken and chips or chicken burger and chips. I normally eat it once a week but ive never been able to find the correct calorie amoubrs for this food!
Has anyone lost weight whilst having chips as a treat or does anyone know the most accurate calories in this food?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Yes.

You have to make a best guess effort if the establishment doesn't offer nutritional values. MFP and Google will help with that.

Unless your calories needed to lose are really low I don't see how the meals you mentioned once a week will hinder anything.

In fact if it makes the whole experience a little more bareable then it's probably an advantage.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yep, i still eat McDonalds, KFC, Fish n Chips (very rare)....and in fact i'm having Pizza hut tonight!
    But i make sure to just have one of these once a week maximum and ensure i exercise a bit more the following day and cut down a bit for the rest of the week. ;)
    Maybe try getting the calories for your take aways by using similar fast food places.
    For example, the calories for your Chicken Burger and Chips maybe similar to KFC or enter "Chip Shop Chicken" into the food search.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I ate everything I used to when losing. Am now maintaining and still eat it all. it's just about moderation, once in a while worked for me!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    portion of chips from a uk chippy is approx 1000 calories.
    so, no.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    cw106 wrote: »
    so, no.

Based on what?
    If you have a very active day like biking several km or hiking in a mountain, you can easily burn enough calories to fit those fries in your day.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    so, no.

Why not?

What's the source for 1000 calories?

UK federation of fish friers states 589 calories for a 10oz portion. 1000 or so calories would get you a 6oz portion of fish and 10oz of chips.

http://www.federationoffishfriers.co.uk/pages/nutritional-info-605.htm

As long as OP remains in a daily/weekly deficit there is nothing wrong with a weekly visit to the chippy/indian/chinese/greek/pizza
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    so, no.

Why not?

What's the source for 1000 calories?

UK federation of fish friers states 589 calories for a 10oz portion. 1000 or so calories would get you a 6oz portion of fish and 10oz of chips.

http://www.federationoffishfriers.co.uk/pages/nutritional-info-605.htm

As long as OP remains in a daily/weekly deficit there is nothing wrong with a weekly visit to the chippy/indian/chinese/greek/pizza

Thanks the the link x
  • aniqa109
    Options
    Thanks. Im going to try and see if i can lose eating once a week otherwise i will have to give them up. Im short and im not extremely active so i dont think i can get away with eating it often!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Chip shop food contains ALOT of calories...you can eat anything and lose weight, as long as you're eating at a deficit.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Of course you can...
  • tffcx
    tffcx Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and it's a real pain because 1000 calories is almost my whole day's worth, so I usually split my chips into two meals.
  • punkuate
    punkuate Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I had a chippy last night. Just didn't eat anything else and logged it as 2000 calories to be on the safe side.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK, I live near the seaside and had chip shop chips on Thursday at Barry Island. I got a kid's portion which is more than enough to satiate any cravings for salt, vinegar and crispy, fluffy potato.

It's all about balance. I'm 5'1" as well so I bike most days to eat back some extra calories.

Life without treats isn't worth it. If I cut things out totally I'd probably just snap and go crazy. Share your chips, get a smaller portion and exercise. Enjoy. X
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I had fish and chips on Thursday, it was so yummy :) I logged it as Fish Supper 905 calories, my total for the day ended up being 1600 calories but we had done around 1 1/2 hours brisk walking up and down the beach so logged that also. Given deficits on other days, I'm still under or around my net total for the week and lost 1 pound from last week, so it definitely is do-able, just perhaps not every day! Enjoy!
  • aniqa109
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Your replies have been very helpful! :#
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I didn't give up anything when losing weight....
    "Chish & fips", beer, wine, bread etc. etc. etc.

Moderation, making things a treat not an everyday habit and thinking of your calorie allowance on a weekly basis is so much more flexible and sustainable.

Just had a Chinese takeaway and half a bottle of wine and it's going to fit in perfectly.
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I try and have these sort of meals on a day I'm exercising that way it can work into my bigger calorie days.
    I do agree making smaller portions. Do we really need all those chips or a full fish. A child's portion is a great idea.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    In Ireland supermacs do fish and chips (and is similar to chip shop style). Try searching for supermacs fish and chips to log it.
    You can lose weight by eating anything as long as your calories add up over the day/week. To make it easier on yourself have a small portion of the chips, diet drink (if you usually have normal coke etc) and exercise extra that day.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Y'all are making me miss the UK. Fish and chips and a half pint... Divine.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Just checked- supermacs cod and chips is listed as 853 calories. The chip portion is probably about half the size that you would get in a uk chip shop so add an extra 300 cals if you eat all your chips.