New runner knee pain?

Options
Is this normal?

I've been doing the C25K program for the last 3 weeks and sometimes get a burning sensation in my knees after.

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Where you properly fit for shoes or are they crap shoes from Walmart
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If you haven't done so already, go to a running specialty store and get fitted for the right shoes. If you went to a running store and were fitted, go back and tell them your problem. Most stores are willing to work with you if it's been less than a month.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Burning sensations in your joints are bad news. Co-sign on checking out your sneakers. I'd also recommend having someone look at your running form- running with poor form can cause injury. Lastly, I hate to say it but it could just also be the exercise. Running is high impact. If your joints aren't in great condition it can do damage.
  • kaassiia
    kaassiia Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have been fitted but I'm probably due for new sneakers anyway. Thanks!
  • marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    pain in the knees during running can be from so many different things, from shoes, to form, to increasing milage too fast. It can be caused by the way your feet pronate, to muscle imbalance in the hips/quads/calves. Do you do any type of cross training? What part of the knee do you get the burning in? does the pain get better after warming up, or does it get worse while running. Is it worse afterward, or after you've been sitting down for a while and go to stand up?
  • kaassiia
    Options
    @marmaladepixie it's almost like a burning inside the knee difficult to explain but I think it may be the way I am running as I have began to feel pain in my upper buttocks/lower back area. It gets better as I go and I do make sure to warm up and cool down each time.
    I am wondering if any knee support wraps help?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I ended up going to a physiotherapist as a preventative measure. I have over-pronation, stiff hips, and poor core muscles and I have exercises to sort out all three. This is not something that you can wish away and it pays to get it checked out sooner rather than later.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Burning-ish pain underneath the kneecaps that goes away as you run sounds like pretty classic runner's knee to me. Caveat that I'm not a doctor or physio and you would want to check with them to be sure.

For me, what works is:

1. Take one day off for every day I've been running through pain.

2. Strengthen my glutes and hip muscles. I do these exercises 4x/week: http://www.njsportsmed.com/files/myrtl_routine.pdf

3. I've used the Pro-Tec under-the-knee velcro straps before, but I don't recommend them. Basically, they let you keep running without fixing the underlying problem. You can keep going for awhile, but you'll still eventually hit the point where your bad physiology overwhelms the extra support, and then you'll be in *much* worse shape than if you had simply addressed the root problem in the first place.

4. When you get back to running again, SLOW DOWN. It sucks (although not as much as not-running altogether), but it's the best way to prevent recurrence.
  • kaassiia
    Options
    @cheshirecatastrophe thank you! I will definitely try all of those suggestions, especially strengthening of my glutes and hips as those are my weak areas anyway. I think that may be a big part of it.